PDA

View Full Version : TKD is not Kicboxing Preparation

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

BFGalbraith
11/02/2006 12:38am,
I want to set the record straight: Tae Kwon Do is no way to prepare for more serious martial arts in the future. I only did TKD for 3 months during high school*, but when I got into kickboxing after high school, my instructor had to train me to undo the bad habits I learned in TKD. It took him a good four months of training 4 or 5 times a week to get me to kick right. People with no martial arts experience at all were able to pick this up in about half the time I was able to. Tae Kwon Do is literally worse than nothing at all when it comes for preparing for full contact martial arts. Here is a list of the bad habits, the worst listed first:

-standing sideways to the opponent instead of head on, so that I could only defend myself with one side of my body at a time, and not get any power out of that lead side I did have available (I hear TKD guys insist that they don't do this, yet every single time they do...)

- artificially rigid snapping/slapping techniques (which have little power and are bad for your joints)

- dropping my hands all of the time in sparring (again something TKD people are under the impression they are good at not doing.)

- punching without putting my shoulder behind the punch

- not putting my hips and shoulders into every kick

- "round-house" kicks using the ball of the foot instead of the shin

- frequent spinning kicks

- frequent hopping kicks

- KIhap (Kiai)

To make a long story short, you would be better off renting muay thai vidoes and imitating their kicks on a punching bag in your own basement than you would be taking a Tae Kwon Do class. The sad thing is that you would actually be much better off.

(*3 months isn't fair, because the americanized FMA I did for years before TKD had a strong TKD influence. Still, that's not where I picked up most of these bad habits, the majority of these were developed or strongly reinforced in TKD..)

JKDChick
11/02/2006 1:48am,
Kiai isn't always bad, you just need to understand it's mroe about what it does for you than for to scare your opponent.

Virus
11/02/2006 3:08am,
Can I do that renting a video stuff then open my own Mcdojang?

Actually I once saw a job vacancy for a TKD instructior and they give you a BB after one hour.

Soju_King
11/02/2006 4:43am,
I want to set the record straight: Tae Kwon Do is no way to prepare for more serious martial arts in the future. I only did TKD for 3 months during high school*, but when I got into kickboxing after high school, my instructor had to train me to undo the bad habits I learned in TKD. It took him a good four months of training 4 or 5 times a week to get me to kick right. People with no martial arts experience at all were able to pick this up in about half the time I was able to. Tae Kwon Do is literally worse than nothing at all when it comes for preparing for full contact martial arts. Here is a list of the bad habits, the worst listed first:

-standing sideways to the opponent instead of head on, so that I could only defend myself with one side of my body at a time, and not get any power out of that lead side I did have available (I hear TKD guys insist that they don't do this, yet every single time they do...)

- artificially rigid snapping/slapping techniques (which have little power and are bad for your joints)

- dropping my hands all of the time in sparring (again something TKD people are under the impression they are good at not doing.)

- frequent hopping kicks

- KIhap (Kiai)

To make a long story short, you would be better off renting muay thai vidoes and imitating their kicks on a punching bag in your own basement than you would be taking a Tae Kwon Do class. The sad thing is that you would actually be much better off.

(*3 months isn't fair, because the americanized FMA I did for years before TKD had a strong TKD influence. Still, that's not where I picked up most of these bad habits, the majority of these were developed or strongly reinforced in TKD..)

uummm........errr.....did u ever take into consideration that u may have been training in a wack ass school?

as far as punching an kicking techniques is concerned

RDRR
11/02/2006 6:55am,
You are boring! Of course people who train TKD for TKD sparring will suck at other types of sparring/fighting. So if you waste your time training only to beat other taekwondoins in gay sparring competitions then what the hell do you expect?

MaverickZ
11/02/2006 7:50am,
I want to set the record straight: I don't really know what I'm talking about.
Thanks for the honesty.

Trubble
11/02/2006 8:33am,

- frequent hopping kicks

- KIhap (Kiai)

correction... YOUR taekwondo school sucks ass...

DerAuslander
11/02/2006 10:37am,
Gee...that's funny...

As opposed to plenty of TKDers who made the transition to kickboxing...

It never held me back at all. In fact, it gave me a head up on moving, using distance...and oh yeah...kicking.

Sokaku
11/02/2006 12:53pm,
correction... YOUR taekwondo school sucks ass...
As most of the TKD schools...?

DerAuslander
11/02/2006 1:21pm,
Also suck ass...

Some suck cock...

However, the good ones will make you a master of cunnilingus.

BFGalbraith
11/02/2006 4:42pm,
I think you Tae Kwon Do people don't appreciate how much I do actually know what I'm talking about with TKD. I'm from Kitsap County, and I studied at Lancaster's Korean Karate, which arguably was not the best dojang around, since Victor Solier also had a TKD school in that area. If you are a TKD fan and you don't know who Victor Solier is, you should find out, since he is the only justification for your martial art's existence.

Victor would sometimes have to take long breaks from his kickboxing career because of permanent injuries. He got most of these injuries NOT by spinning-back-kicking people out of the ring in kickboxing matches, BUT FROM TEACHING TAE KWON DO. Specifically, he has broken both knees teaching TKD classes, if I understand correctly.

Were his TKD students more competent fighters than other TKD students? The ones who cross trained in Kickboxing, yes. But from what I saw, his students that did only TKD would totally freak out and NOT spar you if they found out you had a kickboxing (or knock-down Karate) background.

I am sure that Victor and many of his kickboxing students would not agree with my position on TKD, and they can probably kick my ass. I don't know how many TKD people I have ran into that cross trained in Muay Thai and then went around saying "NOW lets see how much you say my TKD sucks," and then proceeded to use 99% Muay Thai moves whenever they sparred, claiming it was TKD since some of it was kicks.

As far as TKD sucking for pre-kickboxing training goes, I have seen this many times where TKDers had a hard time picking up the round kick specifically than people with no martial arts experience at all, and in general just sucked extra bad in the ring far beyond most beginners. So then I suppose someone is going to have to do a field study of some kind to find out for sure one way or the other, but until then, TKD people understand that not everyone agrees with you that TKD is some kind of great prep class for kickboxing (and that some of us HAVE also done TKD before.)

BFGalbraith
11/02/2006 4:50pm,
Kiai isn't always bad, you just need to understand it's mroe about what it does for you than for to scare your opponent.

Hopping or spinning techniques can come in handy once in a while as well, but I wouldn't make it a regular habit.

meng_mao
11/02/2006 5:05pm,
I once saw a job vacancy for a TKD instructior and they give you a BB after one hour.

Some suck cock...

JOKE FUSION IMMINENT

DerAuslander
11/02/2006 5:15pm,
I think you Tae Kwon Do people don't appreciate how much I do actually know what I'm talking about with TKD.

Pretty much.

Specifically, he has broken both knees teaching TKD classes, if I understand correctly.

I'm so glad this smily was an option here:

:wtfgif9fr

How the flying **** do you break both your own knees teaching TKD?

How the **** do you break both your knees teaching anything?

You say this guy is good? That he's an example to us all?!?

AND HE BROKE HIS OWN FUCKING KNEES TEACHING?!?

Sounds like the worst fucking TKD in existence to me...

DerAuslander
11/02/2006 5:16pm,
JOKE FUSION IMMINENT

Go for, bro.

BFGalbraith
11/02/2006 5:25pm,
You say this guy is good? That he's an example to us all?!?

I wouldn't show him as a good example, since he did TKD - and that's just too horrible of a habit to be able to hold him up as some kind of role-model. I'm just saying that a multiple-time world-kickboxing champ is the best fighter the TKD community has produced, so that his TKD is probably the best-case scenario.

How do you break both knees? One at a time. Doing crazy spinning kicks and getting your toe caught on the carpet - using rigid TKD with kickboxing intensity.