PDA

View Full Version : Standing in Shizen Hontai During Grappling

Mr. Jones
10/31/2006 1:47pm,
I usually stand in shizen hontai during BJJ class and I seem to be getting away with it. My partners tell me to assume a more defensive posture, but it feels weird when I try to do it. Should I take Judo or something to get over the weirdness?

FictionPimp
10/31/2006 1:50pm,
Step one, it's bjj so it's called standing upright not shizen hontai, or at least learn some portugese or something.

Second, if it works for you, then its not a problem. But it's probably not the best way to stand. Try going against more advanced players and see what happens. I like to frustrate judo guys by standing like this and stiff arming them.

Mr. Jones
10/31/2006 1:55pm,
Unfortunately not one person in my BJJ school takes Judo so I can't really get a realistic perspective. At least in BJJ class. I can do some stuff and even sprawl from this position for some reason.

Virus
10/31/2006 2:24pm,
I reccomend standing like this:

http://www.painetworks.com/photos/hk/hk2712.JPG

FictionPimp
10/31/2006 2:25pm,
Tomarrow night I pledge to start one of my sparing sessions in that stance.

Minus the swords and the outfit.

Virus
10/31/2006 5:33pm,
I always start randori in a stupid kungfu stance as a joke.

GRAB MY WRIST
11/01/2006 2:41am,
I usually stand in shizen hontai during BJJ class and I seem to be getting away with it. My partners tell me to assume a more defensive posture, but it feels weird when I try to do it. Should I take Judo or something to get over the weirdness?

Shizen Hontai is natural posture. It is a posture which allows the most mobility and reactivity. Personally I prefer this posture to Jigo Hontai (Defensive posture) as I can attack or defend equally whereas in Jigo Hontai, it is mainly for defense.

A very deep Defensive Posture is open to Kouchi Gari or Sumi Gaeshi. Two weeks ago I randori'ed with a guy who was stiff arming me in deep Defensive Posture. I ippon'ed him with Sumi Gaeshi.

GMW.