PDA

View Full Version : Question

MTSkull
10/29/2006 12:35pm,
I just earned my first Black Belt (6 years). The test was 44 hours long and I got about three hours sleep. I am fully aware of the shortcoming of my style and supplement my training when i can from outside the dojo. I was told the other night that all the effort I put into martial arts is not worth it. This said by a couch potato who greatest physical achievement was making it to the bathroom in time. I dismissed his comments, but it got me wondering. Does anyone know of a reference to how many people start martial arts training, actually stick with it and earn black belt and beyond? What percentage of the population has earned a black belt?

MT

PS First Post so be Gentle

plasma
10/29/2006 12:42pm,
I just earned my first Black Belt (6 years). The test was 44 hours long and I got about three hours sleep. I am fully aware of the shortcoming of my style and supplement my training when i can from outside the dojo. I was told the other night that all the effort I put into martial arts is not worth it. This said by a couch potato who greatest physical achievement was making it to the bathroom in time. I dismissed his comments, but it got me wondering. Does anyone know of a reference to how many people start martial arts training, actually stick with it and earn black belt and beyond? What percentage of the population has earned a black belt?

MT

In the last 5 years at my dojo. We've approx 3 -6 new people a month. We have 1 shodan, 1 Ik-kyu (Ist kyu) and 1 San-Kyu(3rd Kyu).

To give you a reference a yellow belt is a Ju-Kyu (10th Kyu)

Omega Supreme
10/29/2006 12:44pm,
Picks up the KY....

MT

6 Years to black belt (good sign)

44 hours long (fucking bullshit but still good sign)

aware of short comings (size matters not, at least that what she says)

To your couch potatoe friend tell him to **** off, show him this, and if he has a problem with this I'll give him my address he can fly out and we could do this face to face.

Now it's time for you to get real. If you're happy with your belt sit down and enjoy but you're done. If you want and crave more and to get better then do it. Find all your short comings and improve on them. If you don't know grappling, learn, if you haven't done serious full contact then do it, if you have never been in a real situation yet try a bouncing job. Keep it real and quit your whining.

HonkyTonkMan
10/29/2006 1:04pm,
I just earned my first Black Belt (6 years).

Ok....this is sounding good so far.

The test was 44 hours long and I got about three hours sleep.

This is where your credibility starts to slip. What took 44 hours?
I take this as an attempt to prevent someone from making fun of your TKD.

I am fully aware of the shortcoming of my style and supplement my training when i can from outside the dojo.

AS long as you are adding some type of grappling/ground fighting this is a great idea.

I was told the other night that all the effort I put into martial arts is not worth it. This said by a couch potato who greatest physical achievement was making it to the bathroom in time.

**** him. What does he know? Take him outside and show him what you learned in TKD.

I dismissed his comments,

This is where it should end then.

but it got me wondering. Does anyone know of a reference to how many people start martial arts training, actually stick with it and earn black belt and beyond? What percentage of the population has earned a black belt?

Belts mean very little these days to people who ACTUALLY train to fight. I know at my school (TKD) more is done to make the actual BB mean something but in the end, all you have to do is put in your time and v'iola...youre a BB.
So having a statistic saying the number of BB really has no bearing on your argument.

Here is an example.

Last year I attended a TKD Tournament as a judge. At the opening of the tourney the Tournament Series Founders were making announcements. The first announcement was the promotion of a lady (not from my school) to 6th Degree BB. She was 5'3" 200lbs. Everyone applauded and smiled and shook hands. Later that day I saw her giving one of her schools students some pointers. She couldnt kick above her belt level. She wasnt flexible, and walking halfway up the bleachers caused her to huff and puff excessively. Yet she was a 6TH DEGREE BLACK BELT in TKD.

Her husband runs the Tourney Org. and the school she attends.

All you can do I train....and **** those people who make fun of you, or tell you MA's are stupid. They are jealous that they dont have the guts to try it themselves and are only trying to justify their beliefs by belittling yours.

MT

How was that for gentle?

Welcome to Bullshido. I am glad you took the time to ask about your training. Keep taking the TKD and look for a BJJ or Judo school.

Omega Supreme
10/29/2006 1:13pm,
Here is an example.

Last year I attended a TKD Tournament as a judge. At the opening of the tourney the Tournament Series Founders were making announcements. The first announcement was the promotion of a lady (not from my school) to 6th Degree BB. She was 5'3" 200lbs. Everyone applauded and smiled and shook hands. Later that day I saw her giving one of her schools students some pointers. She couldnt kick above her belt level. She wasnt flexible, and walking halfway up the bleachers caused her to huff and puff excessively. Yet she was a 6TH DEGREE BLACK BELT in TKD.

It's **** like this where people wonder why bullshido has a problem with TKD. Seriously oldman you should start a thread titled "out of the mouths of the chorus". I'd be more than happy to add my real TKD anectdotes (sp?). Then we can direct the newbies there when they ask us why all the bashing.

It is Fake
10/29/2006 1:23pm,
It's **** like this where people wonder why bullshido has a problem with TKD. Seriously oldman you should start a thread titled "out of the mouths of the chorus". I'd be more than happy to add my real TKD anectdotes (sp?). Then we can direct the newbies there when they ask us why all the bashing.Yes, this would be interesting.

slamdunc
10/29/2006 1:27pm,
Belts mean very little these days to people who ACTUALLY train to fight. I know at my school (TKD) more is done to make the actual BB mean something but in the end, all you have to do is put in your time and v'iola...youre a BB.
So having a statistic saying the number of BB really has no bearing on your argument.

Here is an example.

Her husband runs the Tourney Org. and the school she attends.

All you can do I train....and **** those people who make fun of you, or tell you MA's are stupid. They are jealous that they dont have the guts to try it themselves and are only trying to justify their beliefs by belittling yours.

Excellent points!

The belt thing is a big controversey; in my system, after 3rd Degree BB, there are no physical tests except for fighting. It basically comes down to the individual's contributions to the martial arts. Are they currently teaching? Do they promote tournaments and seminars? Do they stay in decent enough physical condition to adequately defend themselves, should the need arise?

The last belt test I took was for 3rd degree; that was in 1991. The test consisted of a demonstration of all basic techniques in the system. I was reqired to spar (contact) with three senior instructors, one at a time. There was a demonstration of breaking techniques.
This test was identical to the test for 2nd degree I had taken three years before, except I had to demonstrate proficiency with both right and left sides. This test lasted approximately four hours; should I feel cheated?

In 1994, having passed the time in grade requirement, actively taught for the period and assisted with several tournaments, I was awarded my 4th degree.
I spent ten more years working on my next promotion. It was more of the same, but I actually had to prepare a resume on what I had given back to the martial arts. How many students I had trained and promoted, how many seminars I had attended or instructed, and other trivial things.

I can still kick above my waist, I do not get winded walking up a flight of stairs and I can still hold my own on the mat. I don't know what this lady has done to advance the practice of martial arts, but she should still be capable of demonstrating the techniques that she has supposedly 'mastered'.

HonkyTonkMan
10/29/2006 1:33pm,
Yes, this would be interesting.

Its done....

Thread is called

Out of the mouths of the Chorus.

HonkyTonkMan
10/29/2006 1:35pm,
Excellent points!

The belt thing is a big controversey; in my system, after 3rd Degree BB, there are no physical tests except for fighting. It basically comes down to the individual's contributions to the martial arts. Are they currently teaching? Do they promote tournaments and seminars? Do they stay in decent enough physical condition to adequately defend themselves, should the need arise?

The last belt test I took was for 3rd degree; that was in 1991. The test consisted of a demonstration of all basic techniques in the system. I was reqired to spar (contact) with three senior instructors, one at a time. There was a demonstration of breaking techniques.
This test was identical to the test for 2nd degree I had taken three years before, except I had to demonstrate proficiency with both right and left sides. This test lasted approximately four hours; should I feel cheated?

In 1994, having passed the time in grade requirement, actively taught for the period and assisted with several tournaments, I was awarded my 4th degree.
I spent ten more years working on my next promotion. It was more of the same, but I actually had to prepare a resume on what I had given back to the martial arts. How many students I had trained and promoted, how many seminars I had attended or instructed, and other trivial things.

I can still kick above my waist, I do not get winded walking up a flight of stairs and I can still hold my own on the mat. I don't know what this lady has done to advance the practice of martial arts, but she should still be capable of demonstrating the techniques that she has supposedly 'mastered'.

I am with you on this.

I attend tourneys to judge. They need judges and I feel that it is my obligation as a BB Instructor to be there. I cant make all of them but I try.
I also took the time to be an Instructor so I could pass on my personal beliefs about what the MA's are for. I dont own the school so I cant set policy. If I could afford to start a school (low fees and such) I would love to just so I can get the BS out of TKD.