PDA

View Full Version : Good dojo?

Pages : [1] 2

iNacho
10/28/2006 7:32pm,
Well, this school teaches mainly Karate, JKD, and MMA, and the link is http://nimajkd.com/HOME.html
The site tends to be wrong, so here's a little insight. I've enrolled into this dojo, for a membership of threemonths, and I want to make sure it's good.
First, it's 99(Maybe even 50) dollars a month, for two classes a week (3 hours in total). I take the MMA courses, and the facility is alright, with mats, heavybags, thai pads, gloves, and the essentials. The instructor seems alright, and he covers things from standup and ground. The dojo is in NYC, and it's close to my house.
I have no idea what the "good" dojo is and what the "McDojo" is (criteria-wise).
I'm interested in the mix, though I enjoy standup (basically the MT) the most.

So, would this dojo be a good one or a McDojo?
And what IS a good dojo and a McDojo?

Shaneus_Snake
10/28/2006 7:56pm,
JKD? Is it a college lecture-type class?

iNacho
10/28/2006 9:50pm,
No...JKD-Jeet Kun Do
And no, it's not lecturing.

vinhthekid
10/28/2006 11:57pm,
inacho, i'm at SBGi New York in Manhattan. I know you live in Brooklyn, but if it's reasonably possible for you to get out to our school, I feel like it's one of the better places you can find. It's 140 for unlimited classes, and as you can tell from our schedule (http://roninathletics.com/schedule.html), that's alot of opportunities to train.

We just got a new space, and it's rather nice, with new mats, bags and a whole fuckton of equipment.

The folks in the school are a whole broad array of body types, all of them nice guys, safe to train with and all experienced enough to not be assholes. The whole atmosphere is very welcoming, fun and just nice to be at.

Christian is a ridiculously nice guy and one of the best teachers you'll find. He really takes the SBG I-method and works it very well. Come in and try a trial class.

And yes, I know I sound like an ad, but believe me when i say that, as i'm on a limited college student's budget, ronin athletics is one of the best places you're gonna find.

iNacho
10/29/2006 9:29am,
I know of Roninathletics, but I'm only 15, and I don't think my parents are willing to drive at least 30 mins every night to go there. If I could drive, hell I'd go to Renzo's or to SBG, but I'm 15. Can't drive and parents are all "Oh no, you're not going to Manhattan alone at night."

So, you're all saying this is a bad gym?

Nosurrender
10/29/2006 12:44pm,
No. Go to the closer gym. At least you can get a background in MA and find a better place later.

It is Fake
10/29/2006 1:07pm,
No. Go to the closer gym. At least you can get a background in MA and find a better place later.
Right. Then you can re-learn everything if it is truly a Mcdojo. Ask anyone here who has been to a Mcdojo how long it takes (if ever) to remove bad habits.

Bad habits love to resurface in bad situations.

If you are willing to pay $99 for 2 days, a little extra travel time isn't going to kill you.

Nosurrender
10/29/2006 1:24pm,
If the closer gym is a mcdojo then go to the further one. If the further one is too far then I have no advice.

I am lucky. I pay 80 bux for up to 8 hours of instruction a week(from an active kumite competitor with 1000 trophies and awards) in traditional japanese striking, grappling, and weapons and I drive 6 miles.

It is Fake
10/29/2006 1:30pm,
Wrong.

If the closer gym is a mcdojo then go to the further one. If the further one is too far then I have no advice.

Backpedal.

Yes, we know you have no advice.

vinhthekid
10/29/2006 4:05pm,
Admittedly, there's no classes between 2-5, but Christian is there and the gym is open. You can use it and the equipment/bags there to work out and if you have any questions, Christian is more than willing to help you out. He showed me some judo throws when I came in really early the other day.

Also, there's classes from five on. If you have time constraints, just take one or two classes and then leave.

The age thing might be an issue, I'm not sure how old you need to be to join up. and if you live in brooklyn... go find a boxing gym or the miletich affiliate that's out there. or hell, black hole jiu jitsu's in brooklyn i think?

ViciousFlamingo
10/29/2006 4:18pm,
Damn you vinhthekid, I'm jealous of you. I've always wanted to check out SBG NY...blah.

vinhthekid
10/29/2006 6:59pm,
you should come by and try and free class or do a mat day sometime. ill be the midget getting his ass handed to him.

ViciousFlamingo
10/29/2006 7:47pm,
I just may take you up on that offer. Then we can be two midgets getting our asses handed to us. :)

How long have you been with SBG?

vinhthekid
10/29/2006 7:53pm,
since september. I did the whole look around tour thing for gyms and schools and found that i liked SBG the most. and since we have a new space, it's great.

tabris
10/29/2006 8:18pm,
Another suggestion might be, since you are 15, take wrestling at your high school and being in Brooklyn, I'd suggest going to Gleason's for some striking.

ViciousFlamingo
10/29/2006 10:23pm,
Aright vinh, I'm going to do my best to make my way to your school some time. I'll PM you sometime when I can find some time free.