PDA

View Full Version : Spartan Gym Phony Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Blackbelt Claim

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

G8
10/27/2006 12:42pm,
http://www.jiujitsugear.com/forum/index.php/topic,67289.0.html

Phrost
10/27/2006 12:44pm,
Can you post more details? We appreciate the heads-up, but starting threads with just a link in them is pretty crappy.

Omega Supreme
10/27/2006 12:48pm,
That was highly amusing. I think we should sick bullshido on him what you think?

Phrost
10/27/2006 12:52pm,
I responded over there soliciting a summary of events and info so we can put an article on .COM outing this guy.

Any help on this would be welcomed.

G8
10/27/2006 12:55pm,
Can you post more details? We appreciate the heads-up, but starting threads with just a link in them is pretty crappy.

sorry ... some dude in Florida running a minor-league MMA team out of his garage was claiming to be a Gracie BB. the heavyweights on the jjgear forum called him on it, and one of them is supposedly going to roll with him. dude actually looks fairly hardcore, and the articles on his site are pretty good ... but he's gonna get raped.

Phrost
10/27/2006 1:01pm,
Cool. This is precisely the kind of guy we need to have a profile on, on Bullshido.com. Keep us posted on info as it comes in if you can.

G8
10/27/2006 2:13pm,
this dude is turning into the Ashida Kim of bush-league MMA. he closed his discussion forum to outsiders and has started screaming that someone from jjgear hacked his site to add that bogus Gracie BB claim ... and why? because his terrifying team of garage fighters has the BJJ establishment quaking in its Korals ...

http://thespartangym.com/Flattery.html

Well, just the other day, some guy and his flock of lemmings decided to attack my reputation. (Through emails and then in the website's forum). I did all I could do not to laugh. Their attacks were sophomoric. They spoke of things which they had no knowledge. They even went out of their way to doctor up things I supposedly wrote.
They added things I didn't say, and omitted things I did. Now that's flattery. For people to go to so much trouble, I know my gym has had an impact.
The people doing this all belong to the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu camp. They not only help to confirm that the Spartan Gym has become a force in the mixed martial arts community, but they galvanize my argument that Brazilian jiu-jitsu is on its way out. Practitioners of the art know this, and so they're barking the loudest right now. They've become just like all the other factions out there.
They can't beat us in the ring anymore, so they try their hand at name calling. Ad hominem
attacks are their last resort. Let them attack. It gives us, the guys who are still hungry to evolve and learn, something to break up our day. We can all use a little chuckle now and then. And since the joke is on them, we can all enjoy a gut wrenching laugh.

1bad65
10/27/2006 2:21pm,
Man, he puts Dux-Klay to shame. Screw lying about a PURPLE belt, lie about a BLACK belt!

FictionPimp
10/27/2006 2:31pm,
So is that a public admission that he does not have a bjj black belt?

black mariah
10/27/2006 3:06pm,
Okay, since this dude's such an MMA badass who's gonna step in the ring with him? He should be MORE than happy to beat some ass.

If he doesn't respond... total bullshit without question.

Pandinha
10/27/2006 3:57pm,
http://thespartangym.com/Bookstore.html

Bookstore Conversation
The conversation went something like this:

Him: "What techniques do you teach?"

Me: "I teach whatever works. Leg locks, arm locks, chokes, neck cranks, punches, stand-up, clinch,
leg kicks ... whatever works for us. How about you?"

Him: "Well, we don't do leg locks, and we don't do neck cranks. And we don't do a whole lot of
stand-up striking. Every once in a while we'll try them, but that's just so we know what our
competition might use against us. But we don't do those things."

Me: "Why not?"

Him: "Well, we practice Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, that's why."

Me: "Oh."

It wasn't too long ago that Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu changed the face of modern martial arts. It came up
quickly and demolished the competition. The rest of the martial art world was in awe. It forced
people to look at what they were doing and reconsider the respective fighting merits of their
chosen arts. BJJ was the new kid in town, and all the other kids took notice. They followed the
new kid wherever he went. That was back around 1993. Now fast forward to the present ...

Today, as the above bookstore conversation indicates, BJJ has become just another martial art.
BJJ was so incredible because it did things no one else did. It was based on questioning the status
quo, evolving, and doing whatever works. Now, BJJ is like all the others. It has a more-or-less fixed
curriculum. And its practitioners follow it blindly. They worship in the temple of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
They bow down before the Brazilians and their followers. Brazil is the new Asia. And Brazilians are
the new Chinese Masters. Too bad.

Keep in mind that the above conversation was with a high ranking student of Gracie Tampa. And
Gracie Tampa is a so-called leader in the world of MMA. If Gracie Tampa is the flagship for BJJ in the
area, the ship is sinking. The water that once flowed is now an ice cube. Evolution has ceased. And
remember, that which doesn't grow is dead.

I once thought that Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu was our competition. It shows you how wrong I can
sometimes be. If BJJ is our greatest competition, it looks like we have little to worry about. (Unless
of course the BJJ guys are only pretending to be so narrow minded and myopic. In which case ...
my hat off. It takes great skill to seem so naive).

That's my two cents for now. Good thing my opinions are free.

http://thespartangym.com/welcome2.html

He's the latest rage caught on jiujitsugear and on mma.tv

Why don't you visit him?

ojgsxr6
10/27/2006 4:02pm,
Search Function Newb:
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47563

Edit: I see what you did there. Crafty Admins

Also what's the link on MMA.tv

crumpy
10/27/2006 4:18pm,
He also claims to be a pro fighter is I think 34-0? But there is no record of him fighting anywhere.

UpaLumpa
10/27/2006 4:47pm,
Kahn's going to wreck some ****.
Lol:
http://thespartangym.com/images/Mangler_Lloyd.jpg

Phrost
10/27/2006 5:14pm,
Century Bag Gloves: the pinnacle of MMA training equipment.

Gezere
10/27/2006 5:19pm,
lol Bill Banks is making the rounds. I second Phrost this is the type of guy that needs to be in a database of BSers.