PDA

View Full Version : Wikipedia on the Back mount - WTF?

Pages : [1] 2

Epicurus
10/26/2006 10:41am,
As of this writing, Wikipedia has some interesting information on the back mount:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_mount
Specifically, the last paragraph - after listing some semi-legit escapes from the back mount, there is this gem:

"Tactics that are illegal in sport/competition have proven useful when mounted from the back in a true life or death fight. Biting is one such tactic."

Mm hmm... right. What exactly is the person being back mounted going to bite here? the ground? Even if the person mounted could bit the attacker's thigh or arm or something, I would give them about five seconds until a bloody KO, or perhaps an RNC that wouldn't be let go for a good long while...

Also, what other tactics, aside from having a friend hiding in the bushes, are they talking about? Eye-gouging is out except to do it to oneself to have the mounter take pity. Even drawing a knife or gun, assuming you could do that from being back mounted, would quickly result in your weapon being confiscated by your attacker...

Seriously, I hate to say it, but this sounds like BJK or WC to me ;)

Oh wikipedia, why you gotta make me hit you, baby?

Phrost
10/26/2006 10:44am,
Reality is not something achieved by community consensus.

youtube
10/26/2006 10:48am,
this site is awesome! look up crappling!

Epicurus
10/26/2006 10:51am,

Ineed. We debate this issue all the time in Philosophy but it would seem that decisive evidence was present, all along, in wikipedia's entry on the back mount. I need to reference this in my next paper.

TKD Black Belt
10/26/2006 11:07am,
Yes it does reek of BS. The bit I like is that it completely over looks the fact that if you aren't playing by 'the rules' why would the guy on your back? What am I going to secure my hooks and hold position until the ref gives me my three points?!?

TKD

ginshun
10/26/2006 11:58am,
I don't know, if your back mounted, your most likely screwed, but I do think it would probably be easier to escape from if you didn't have to follow a rule set.

I guess I'd have to know exaclty where dudes arms and legs are, but a bite, eye gouge or breaking a couple fingers or toes could help you escape in some situations. Who knows though, it could just piss him off and escalate a situation where he was just content to hold you into one where he beats your skull in with a hammer. tough call.

Barrett
10/26/2006 12:16pm,
Avoiding an eye gouge is very easy when you have someone's back. Just tuck your head behind their shoulder. You should be doing this anyway to avoid getting headbutted.

If they're biting you or trying to bend your fingers, they're not protecting their neck and they will pay! :P

Tom Kagan
10/26/2006 12:28pm,

Unfortuately, the community consensus is invariably the only reality. Those who bend, prod, push, and tug at such a "hive mind" by substituting their ownversion are the ones who shape the actual reality instead of just existing in it, however.

I added to the entry my $2.22, adjusted for inflation.

Why? Because I could... Mooohahahahahahaha.

ginshun
10/26/2006 12:33pm,
Avoiding an eye gouge is very easy when you have someone's back. Just tuck your head behind their shoulder. You should be doing this anyway to avoid getting headbutted.

If they're biting you or trying to bend your fingers, they're not protecting their neck and they will pay! :P

All true, but still, a dirty bastard move or two could help, its just not something that anybody should rely on.

v1y
10/26/2006 6:09pm,
it's now been edited containing one of the most insightful things i've ever read about street fighting.

"Also, the inherent difficulty in effective and safe training of illegal sport/competition tactics strongly suggests safe training of escape fundamentals and minimizing reliance on desperation tactics can be paradoxically more effective even in life or death situations".

Samfoo
10/26/2006 7:03pm,
Yes it does reek of BS. The bit I like is that it completely over looks the fact that if you aren't playing by 'the rules' why would the guy on your back? What am I going to secure my hooks and hold position until the ref gives me my three points?!?

TKD

Yeah, I'd be pissed if I only got three points for securing my hooks and holding position.

Gezere
10/26/2006 7:22pm,
Yeah, I'd be pissed if I only got three points for securing my hooks and holding position.
Damn right. Rear mount is worth FOUR points!

Why to pple always miss the obvious? If I have your back and you try to bite me I can bite YOU back to greater effect. That is unless you are a ninjer. A ninjer can reach behind and rip out your throat form the inside if you have his back!!!!

Transcendent Sunchips
10/26/2006 10:30pm,
Damn right. Rear mount is worth FOUR points!

Why to pple always miss the obvious? If I have your back and you try to bite me I can bite YOU back to greater effect.

You'll be like a vampire when you bite from there:

http://www.ktg.ca/media_files/Vlad-Bites-Cutout_small.jpg

bushi51
10/27/2006 12:02am,
This is why i hate Wikipedia.

rino86
10/27/2006 1:53am,
I guess you could bite their hand and give them a fatal case of Zombosis before dying for a 2nd time.

Tom Kagan
10/27/2006 9:57am,
it's now been edited containing one of the most insightful things i've ever read about street fighting.

"Also, the inherent difficulty in effective and safe training of illegal sport/competition tactics strongly suggests safe training of escape fundamentals and minimizing reliance on desperation tactics can be paradoxically more effective even in life or death situations".

Why, thanks.

(Your check will be arriving in the mail shortly.)