PDA

View Full Version : Noob here.

geminione
10/23/2006 8:55am,
:cussing: :angryfire

Hello. After reading the rules for this place, I am preparing myself for the ass reaming I may be deserving of. I wish I could introduce myself under better terms but, I'm not going to lie...I'm pissed. A little background...

I have been practicing at a local school for a little over 6 months now. The main style emphasized is TKD with a little of Kung Fo/ Kempo/Karate thrown into the mix. I will freely admit that when I signed up for instruction I knew diddly-squat about martial arts in general, not to mention the seedy business side of things. All I knew was that MA was something I wanted to be a part of (Yep, they saw me coming a mile away).

Well, I paid for a inital two week trial period and then plunked down 500 bucks for a years instruction and agreed to pay a set amount every month. Then came the equipment costs ($75.00 for a set that included hand and foot protection), then the belt fees...$45.00 for beginningers, $65.00 for advanced belts. Then in between all this comes the seminars, the touraments and goddamn black belt club, all which costs money. Don't get me wrong, I knew that instruction would not be free but, this is getting ridiculous!

Now here's the kicker. My sensei informed me that I could skip belts. BUT...I still have to pay for the belt I advance to PLUS the belt that I skip...$110 please. So, while the sensei deems me to be good enough to be advance to green belt I must stay at yellow because, as far as I can tell, I can't afford it this month.

I'm considering going in today and telling him that I no longer wish to be a student in his school as I feel that money is more important than the art to him.

Am I wrong? Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Insight is greatly appreciated.

thepower
10/23/2006 9:17am,
If it was me, Id get away from that club as soon as possible. Can you get your money back for the rest of the year.

It's fair enough that you have to pay for training, your instructor has to make a living etc but to make you sign up AND PAY for a year in advance after only 2 weeks is taking the piss.

I have trained at quite alot of martial arts clubs and the best ones have been to have been the least concerned about money. You want to find a club where they are there to train and get better and primeraly focused on that (there are no shortage on these in my experience) and where the money comes second.

I have yet to see a club that is focused on the money first turn out good fighters and seriously, who cares what belt you are if it was more about how much you could afford rather than how good you are.

to sum up, I would just walk away but if you cant get your money back then you might just have to train there for a while. Stop givin them money though.
Look for other clubs. The good ones might not avertise as well and may be harder to find but this does not mean that they aren't 10 tmes as good.

Don't let this put you off training as there are plenty of excellent teachers and clubs about.

Phil
www.fightuk.com

PirateJon
10/23/2006 10:10am,
I'm considering going in today and telling him that I no longer wish to be a student in his school as I feel that money is more important than the art to him.

Am I wrong? Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Insight is greatly appreciated.

Plenty of people have. Advice is usually the same. Ask the guy if he'll let you out of your contract. tell him you want to do a different art or whatever. If he's not just going to let you out, check your contract. see if you can get out of it. if not, you might be stuck until your year is up.

I sure wouldn't pay for tests or anything else. run out your year concentrating on cardio and flexibility.