PDA

View Full Version : boxing/boxers

Pages : [1] 2

Jenfucius
7/24/2003 1:17am,
ok, here's something i don't understand. boxers adopt very different styles of fighting. some are brawlers and take a lot of punches and sometimes don't even keep their hands up too great but hit hard. some are "boxers" and make good use of the jab, etc. so how does it make sense to say that boxing is a style by itself?

Stold3
7/24/2003 1:19am,
A boxer will beat a brawler almost all the time, unless you're referring to Tyson, just that a brawler is more fun to watch.

It is a style, but with every style everyone has their own way of fighting.

Fatality Dragon
7/24/2003 1:45am,
Why do everyone think boxer will beat everyone? All boxer have is punches, so what the **** are they gonna to do if they end up on ground?! Not everyone who take boxing are gonna to knock every body out! May if they train 3 or 4 time a week for three or four years and they are not TOO small and in pretty good shape then yes it is likely they will be able to knock people out easily.
Hell I hit a lot (in sparring and during bag work) and I am pretty sure I can hit almost as hard as most amateur boxer does. I have knocked (or almost) a guy out few time (not during PCP indicent) before I ever took Muay thai! I think people just look at pro boxer and assume that EVERY boxers are gonna to knock people out magically. Feel free to get any guy of my size and weight with about a year of boxing experience (may little wrestling experience too) and put him against me and I promise he isn't gonna to knock me out with first couple punches unless he get me completely off guard which isn't gonna to happen easily in sparring.
FYI in my Muay Thai school, two instructor was in boxing olympic, Kit Cope was in pro boxing twice, and many other people have took boxing. Sorry but I gotta to vent, just get so sick of everyone act like boxer are unbeatable. It is just starting to become like as most people with no MA experience act like Wushu is gonna to beat all UFC, Pride, K1 guys because of what they see on movie.

It is a rat eat rat world.

"A magical place where I have a freakish large penis and I am also the king of the mushroom people." - by Omen Stone

Stold3
7/24/2003 1:52am,
Who the **** said anything about boxers beating everybody?

Fatality Dragon
7/24/2003 1:56am,
I have heard that ENDLESSLY from EVERYONE who see my Muay thai gear and try to start a consveration with me about boxing only to find out I am not a boxer. Also I hear that in martila art chat room all of the time and a lot on this forum before (especially in Mike Tyson debate when everyone bring up boxer that isn't pro into it).

It is a rat eat rat world.

"A magical place where I have a freakish large penis and I am also the king of the mushroom people." - by Omen Stone

Halogen
7/24/2003 3:12am,
ok, here's something i don't understand. boxers adopt very different styles of fighting. some are brawlers and take a lot of punches and sometimes don't even keep their hands up too great but hit hard. some are "boxers" and make good use of the jab, etc. so how does it make sense to say that boxing is a style by itself?A style by itself is just a bunch of tools. Whatever you choose to do with those tools and how you choose to use them during a fight is up to you.

Jenfucius
7/24/2003 11:01pm,
i've been watching boxing a lot on tv recently. it looks like some boxers stay back and jab, some come in and hook. some have knockout power and some don't. some suck balls and get knocked out or TKO'd immediately without putting up much of a fight.

it looks to me like boxing's represented on this board like it's one generic style with a guy who:

1. can take a lot of punishment
2. has KO power

and i'm just saying that this doesn't appear to be true of all or even most boxers, just some of the better ones.

Blad3
7/24/2003 11:27pm,
ok, here's something i don't understand. boxers adopt very different styles of fighting. some are brawlers and take a lot of punches and sometimes don't even keep their hands up too great but hit hard. some are "boxers" and make good use of the jab, etc. so how does it make sense to say that boxing is a style by itself? oh my...

Boxing is boxing - all boxers box when they box, they train to boxing for boxing matches - get it? Their styles' of fighting/build/conidtion and cobinations they use moves (like the jab, cross (vertical fisted or not), hook, ducking, backing off etc) makes the fighter. I alwasy thought brawlers like to throw pucnhes more, in an unorthodox fashion, whereas the boxer is a little more technical, and less wild.

They all use the same moves, from Boxing (or fighting.)

"Wrestling is the Martial Art of America";
"If you don't know how to wrestle you don't know how to fight, that's the prerequisite to fighting" David Tank Abbott (http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/displayfighter.cfm?fighterid=110)

CrimsonTiger
7/25/2003 12:03am,
There are two types of gamblers in games such as Blackjack:

1) Those who play by the book. They make roughly even money over time because they are very technical and play only the probabilities.

2) Those who play on hunches. The wild ones. Technical players hate them, because they **** up the probabilities with their unorthodox style of playing. But they are more fun to watch, win/lose more money on each bet. Generally over time they will lose more...but any given night they can make a lot more than a technical better.

Get the idea?

Here's my question: Is something like "chinese boxing" or "thai boxing" called that as a bad translation? Or because they are punch-dominated styles and thus most like boxing in the western language?

Regards,
CrimsonTiger

"You're my hero man!!!" -omega 07/23/03

Blad3
7/25/2003 9:06am,
gah my last post was terribly written - was VERY tired.:D

"Wrestling is the Martial Art of America";
"If you don't know how to wrestle you don't know how to fight, that's the prerequisite to fighting" David Tank Abbott (http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/displayfighter.cfm?fighterid=110)

CrimsonTiger
7/25/2003 10:07am,
Blade,

This is a common event apparently? :P

Regards,
CrimsonTiger

"You're my hero man!!!" -omega 07/23/03

Combatman
7/25/2003 11:19am,
I tjust depends, a friend of mine who had been in many streetfights and was no pushover got his ass handed to him when he fought a boxer at a party one night. I suspect though that he tried to fight the boxer's fight.
Also about two years ago while sparring a Muay Thai amateur fighter I closed the distnace on him and took him down and quickly submitted him, he had little grappling knowledge.
Again it just depends. It's not the STYLE of the fighter, but most of the time, the quality of the man in the fight.
And you don't fight the other man's fight. A lot of guys who lose a boxing match to another would (and have) kicked that same guy's ass in a streetfight, why? Because boxing is very limited in what you can do.

thomasaaron
7/25/2003 11:55am,
Style means they share common techniques and philosophies of engagement.

However, different boxers apply those techniques and philosophies differently.

Did I shoot five times, or six? Do you feel lucky, punk? -- Clint Eastwood

Combatman
7/25/2003 12:39pm,
Don't try to fight the boxers fight, period. Look at what happened to Oleg Taktarov against Gary Goodridge in Pride 1.
Had Oleg taken Gary down he could've beaten him like Don Frye did, but he chose to box and was brutally ko'd. Still hurts to watch.

Combatman
7/25/2003 12:39pm,
Don't try to fight the boxers fight, period. Look at what happened to Oleg Taktarov against Gary Goodridge in Pride 1.
Had Oleg taken Gary down he could've beaten him like Don Frye did, but he chose to box and was brutally ko'd. Still hurts to watch.

Freddy
7/25/2003 1:22pm,
Boxing has changed over the past hundred year or so. I have seen books on old boxing from the late 1800's to early 1900's. Boxers in those days had their head and neck high up and one arm forward while the other is back more. Moderrn boxing is different. The head is better protected by the shoulders and the arms both tend to come in closer to the body.

"Do what thou wilt is the whole of the Law"
Anton LaVey made me say it!