PDA

View Full Version : First BJJ Experience

ginshun
10/16/2006 9:39am,
So this past Saturday my teacher arranged for a BJJ seminar for our school. We actually went down to the shool of the instructor that gave the seminar. I have to say that I had a great time.

The person giving the seminar was Justin Morris of Third Heaven Martail Arts in Beaver Dam, WI. ( www.thirdheaven.com). They train BJJ and MMA there. Justin is a super nice guy, as were his couple of students who were there helping out.

Basically what we did was go through the seminar, which was basically a couple of hours of basic BJJ locks and chokes and philosophy and what not and then we rolled with Justin and his guys for about an hour or so. There were 10 or 11 guys there from our school, and Justin wanted the chance to roll with all of us. The rest of us rolled either each other or his students.

I think I did about as well as I expected. Rolling with Justin was pretty much useless for me. It pretty much amounted to 4 minutes of me trying unsuccessfully to not be submitted, and trying to get out of being mounted and 4 minutes of him watching the rest of the people and pretty much not even paying attention to me, unless it was to submit me quick, which happened twice in the 4 minutes. I fared better against his students (who one was a blue belt, and I am not sure about the other guy), not having to tap, but not tapping them either.

All in all it was a great expreience, and hopefully I will get a chance to train with those guys again. The seminar we did was a "level 1" seminar that I think Justin has done for lots of different martial arts schools and other organizations. I think we will either go back or bring him up for the level two in the near future.

So while there was nothing earth sattering, I did lean a lot and had a great time.

cheers!

Pandinha
10/16/2006 10:29am,
When are you going to start taking BJJ up full time?

ginshun
10/16/2006 10:45am,
When are you going to start taking BJJ up full time?

Well, the nearest BJJ dojo that I know of is a couple of hours from where I live, so no time soon. If one opened up in or around my town I'd probably cross train threre though. Time and money allowing I guess.

Believe it or not, I am quite happy with my current training. I know my art is taijutsu, but don't confuse me with some LARPing ******. We actually spar and roll regularly.

chaosexmachina
10/16/2006 9:16pm,
Well then keep taking those seminars until you can!

FictionPimp
10/17/2006 9:31am,
Those blue belts probably were playing down on your level to keep you working. I know a lot of blues that do that. In fact I am starting to notice more and more when they give me an escape or a sub attempt just so they can keep me moving. Of course when it comes time to get ready to compete, they just wreck me over and over. But I'm slowly getting better, day by day and I find myself now doing the same things to lessor skilled white belts.

Just a thought as to why you had an easier time with the blues. The instructor was probably trying to make a point in his subtle own little way.

Blue Negation
10/17/2006 9:35am,
^ what he said.

It's a pretty common practice in BJJ as far as I know to not force a sub on a less-skilled partner but to only snap one on if he completely gives it to you. Prevents bad habits and such.

JKDChick
10/17/2006 12:50pm,
The frustrating thing is when the newbie dosen't realise that you're letting him do stuff and starts strutting. I get it worse than the guys by virtue of the gender.

ginshun
10/17/2006 12:54pm,
Sure, just go ahead and poop on my parade.

No worries though, I don't doubt that you guys are right, as those guys were deffinately more skilled than I am on the ground.

I am working on it though. If I get a chance to roll with them again, I'll tell them to not take it easy on me and see what happens.

Koehn4president
10/17/2006 7:11pm,
my bad

Koehn4president
10/17/2006 7:12pm,
I am working on it though. If I get a chance to roll with them again, I'll tell them to not take it easy on me and see what happens.
i believe in most state penitentiaries they call it rape (bad joke i'm sorry)

but really, the first night i ever went to a jujitsu class i rolled with the teacher (hes a judo brown belt and was the only guy there my size, the rest were either alot smaller or a **** ton bigger than me) and i held up fairly good, or so i thought. So i see this guy in a class not long ago and we ended up rolling, and he absolutely tore me up, i mean in a 10 minute span he tapped me four times and i only got one rnc off on him, off of him being REALLY careless about letting me take his back.

fox
10/17/2006 10:36pm,
John I need you to call me