PDA

View Full Version : Judo: ¿The answer to multiple opponents?

Pages : [1] 2

Agis Silverfish
10/15/2006 7:49am,
I think judo is best than BJJ when dealing with multiple opponents, because you finish standing up, ready to face another threat.

Scrapper
10/15/2006 8:13am,
AArrghhhh! Cursed newbietown!

NO style addresses multiple opponents. Unless you count gun-fu...and even that is not perfect for multiples. Every opponent you add squares the number of potential threats during the course of an altercation. As soon as you address one opponent, the other has the opportunity to attack. If two attack at the same time, your chances are fairly poor (but not hopeless) of beating both. Add a third and there is very little chance at all. You just can't take the time to deal with one when two others are coming at you. Even if you can magically knock them out with one punch, you still have to take the time to punch one, and that's when the others will get you.

It's a losing proposition no matter how you work it. No one on Bullshido loves judo more than me. But in the time it takes me to toss the first guy, his buddies will get me. That's just good strategy on their part, and it's the reason people attack in groups. Your best hope in multiple attacker scenarios is to be big, strong, well-conditioned, and aggressive. Obviously, technicall proficiency will matter as well, but as the number of attackers goes up, it's influencce on your odds goes down. This does not mean you will win, but hopefully ferocity and strength will break their spirit before they break your face.

It's an ugly reality, but there is no real solution to multiple attackers beyond, escape; or barring that: physicality.

Goju - Joe
10/15/2006 8:20am,
Hand gun > multiple opponents

(of course there's that whole jail thingy)

Doctor X
10/15/2006 8:28am,
Gun-Fu (http://koti.mbnet.fi/badbee/wavs/ak47.wav) 4 t3h w1n!!11!!

--J.D.

rottunpunk
10/15/2006 8:56am,
ive never done bjj
but when i did judo (being small and a bit scrawny) i found it better to follow the opponent to the ground when throwing.
also, its not exactly an art id consider using outside the dojo, nor against more than one opponent (for the reasons stated above)
:p

PsychoMongoose
10/15/2006 9:14am,
It's an ugly reality, but there is no real solution to multiple attackers beyond, escape; or barring that: physicality.

One of the good things about WSK (see my style field) is that to get your black belt you have to do a 2 minute round of free sparring against two opponents.

No-one ever "wins"....it's an exercise in evasion, counter-hitting and covering up so you don't get beat on to badly...it's not pleasent. Of course, this is in a nice clear area, with opponents who are a grade lower than you, you get stood up again if you end up on the floor, and you've got 16 oz gloves and headguards on. It really makes you not want to get into multiple opponent fights!

If you want to know how multiple-against-one goes, pad up to a level that you enjoy and go at it. Anything else is just theory and speculation.

Agis Silverfish
10/15/2006 9:29am,
Osh!

Thank you for your answers.

Lu Tze
10/15/2006 10:28am,
Doesn't anyone ever walk around with friends? The best option for dealing with multiple attackers is to have a few of your own.

Gezere
10/15/2006 11:11am,
Doesn't anyone ever walk around with friends? The best option for dealing with multiple attackers is to have a few of your own.

Thank you.

No matter how many times this nugget of common sense is brought up it still gets ignored. Only an IDIOT goes out clubbing or to any place where the threat of violence is higher ALONE. If you that worried about multiple attackers try making friends who will watch your back. It goes both ways.

Teh El Macho
10/15/2006 11:24am,
Thank you.

No matter how many times this nugget of common sense is brought up it still gets ignored. Only an IDIOT goes out clubbing or to any place where the threat of violence is higher ALONE. If you that worried about multiple attackers try making friends who will watch your back. It goes both ways.
That should be put somewhere on the front page.

vigilus
10/15/2006 11:35am,
When you look like you know what you're doing people are much less inclined to **** with you. Big part of it is how you carry yourself.

Knives work too. Big psychological edge there but that's probably a whole new argument. I've been surrounded in a crowd situation. The guys were a little hostile and trying to provoke me but I just smiled and held my ground. I like to think they realised I had a line and if they crossed it it wouldn't be a little fist fight, I was going to try and kill them. Never back up, it's a nature thing. Someone or something see's you backing up, they become more agressive. After they failed to intimidate me I found a 'common ground' and pointed at their booze. They gave me a sip, watched me choke a bit and laughed their asses off (this **** is made in bathrubs with formenting grapes and gasolene (sp?), slevovich if you know the name) and after that I was their best friend.

Maybe the best way to deal with multiple attacks is to try and avoid fighting them.
Failing that, violence violence violence.

mmacount123
10/15/2006 2:04pm,
good points

GRAB MY WRIST
10/16/2006 1:03am,
I think judo is best than BJJ when dealing with multiple opponents, because you finish standing up, ready to face another threat.

In all my judo training (uchikomi, nagekomi, randori, kata) are done with only a single partner.... see the error of your ways and repent, SINNER!

GMW

Teh El Macho
10/16/2006 8:07am,
I think judo is best than BJJ when dealing with multiple opponents, because you finish standing up, ready to face another threatIn all my judo training (uchikomi, nagekomi, randori, kata) are done with only a single partner.... see the error of your ways and repent, SINNER!

GMW
The other big mistake Silverfish makes is the assumption he will end up standing. It's all cute and dandy in theory - grab an arm (or something), throw while still having a hold on the arm and twist while standing, or whatever.

But no matter how you good you get at something, even remaining on your feet while fighting, The Eternal Evil Overlord Murphy, "The Assumption Fucker", will always have a way to **** your pristine plans of finishing standing up, or any pristine plans for that matter.

Shinshoryu
10/16/2006 9:52am,

When it comes to multiple attackers the balance obscenely favors your opponent's side. No empty-handed martial training will turn that balance, the best thing you can hope for (through your martial art's training) is not to get into a stupid position where they can get you more easily than what they already can. The next (and probably only) thing you can do to turn that balance to your favor, is to carry a weapon. So in brief, what's the proven old-time solution for when the opponent surpassed your strength and might in any way?... :new_snipe

vigilus
10/16/2006 10:23am,
Just giving some more thought to the whole multiple attacker thing.

I know Aikido likes to mention how they practice against multiple attackers but the thing with that is that someone using aikido in a multiple attack situation will STILL attempt to engage 'the enemy' one on one. If two people are comming at you then you try and position yourself to deal with them one at a time (which is a common tactic in pretty much any martial/military situation, no?) Same goes for 3 on one etc.. The idea is to fight (deal with) one person at a time.

I think this is where how an art deals with someone comes into play. People seem to always think JJ or BJJ(maybe?) ends up on the ground. When I did a little jujitsu training it did involve **** on the ground but also punching and striking. So maybe the trick is to engage multiple targets, one at a time, while doing your best to stay on your feet and NOT get locked in with them? I'm sure someone can phrase that better.

I'm guessing (assuming) many styles can be effective against multiple attackers, it's all about what techniques you use and how you engage them.

Am I out to lunch here?