PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Night at Training

Pages : [1] 2 3

Slydermv
10/13/2006 8:46pm,
Well, I'm kinda pissed off right now and have a little rant.

I'm at the TKD club tonight for a sparring class (the only reason I'm still at the club). Basically, the sparring class is me and a bunch of pre teens and teens (which makes me feel like Kramer in that one Sinfield (sp?)episode), cause the rest of the adults at the school are parents, and the few guys my age don't spar (i.e. are pussies and like to do forms). Of course this means some of my time is spent sparring with these younger kids, helping them out and taking it easy on them, or practicing my footwork and counters. It wasn't always like this.... we had guys my age who sparred hard, but theys all gone now.... where, I don't know.

The one saving grace is my master brings in guys from Korea for 6 months or a year at a time continously who are usually really good TKD players (i.e grads of sports universities or higher level players looking to learn some english and learn how to run a school I believe), and great sparring partners who kick the **** out of me and teach me alot, so I get something out of the classes. Our newest instructor has been here about a month.

Now it seems everytime a new instructor comes in, he trains the **** out of us and spars decently hard with the kids so they can learn something and not get the **** kicked out of em during tournements for about month until.... one kid get kicked a little too hard, cries, parents loose thier minds, and everything gets toned down. It's a fuckin' shitty ass cycle and it pisses me right the **** off, cause I lose out on the experiance of training hard with guys who are really good. This is what happened tonight.

I'm not a parent, and maybe I'd get pissed off too, but for fucks sakes, it's a god damned martial art. A few brusies now are gonna save your kid gtetting knocked the **** out at the tournements (the kids in this class are going for the provincial team and doing all the tournies, so they are going up against some tough other kids).

The kid in question was 14 I think, and is soft as ****. Thing is, he got hurt, started whimpering, then got mad and fucking went at it. It was amazing. He actually showed some courage and spirit for once. Sparing stops, partent grabs the kid, yells at the instructor and it's over... so I lose class time and I wanna cry.

I had a chat with my instructor (the head guy who runs the school) after, and let him know where I stand, and pleaded with him not to tone down the classes, cause I don't wanna get my fuckin head knocked off in April. I hope he listens....

Oh... and a ripped a hole in the crotch of my TKD pants so I had to waste coin on a new uni which fuckin blows too... cause that uni that ripped was ratty as **** and had alot of hours of training in it. Bullshit!

end rant

HonkyTonkMan
10/13/2006 9:03pm,
This my friend, is a great deal of what is wrong with MA's these days.

When my kid gets hit a little hard, ( I am a father of 4) oh well. He will learn to keep his guards up, move his feet , and take a hit.

My little girl? Well I tend to be more protective of her. I know it isnt the correct thing to do but damn...I hate it. But the real world wont be nicey nicey with her either.

I have run into the same TKD problem.
Here is what I did.

I met with the head instructor and voiced my concern.
I asked that could we set aside some seperate time after class for the more aggressive sparring. She (yes a she) said ok, that would be fine. Now the guys who want to stay after for about 30 minutes or so do. It has worked out great. My sparring has gotten a lot better. Also we have begun to include takedowns in our sparring which makes it a little more interesting.

Doctor X
10/13/2006 9:16pm,
Why I do not teach kids and when I am involved with a school that has kids I am very blunt to the point of rudeness--yes, I know that is difficult to imagine--that Little Precious is NOT learning a martial art.

It was different when I was a kid. Me Dad asked in an argument over something in which he was, yet again, right if I would quit the first time some other kid in class gave me "a real karate punch!" We did not have protective equipment. Did I mention we trained on broken glass? Okay, the floor was hard cement covered with linoleum. It was also 120 F in the shade.

Anyways, as a Wee Spud, I knew I could not be "t3h d34dly" against the high school student who shaved, or his dad who was--literally--a construction worker and built like the veritable **** House of Brick.

There was no problem with this.

Which is why--Ascends the Soapbox--a while ago I posted a picture of Little Precious Black Belt who probably gets ass-raped in the playground by the PopWarner players as "The Greatest Problem with Martial Arts Today." I do not understand it--what the hell do parent expect? In MY DAY . . . parents complained when you did NOT teach kids "t3h d34dly."

Now . . . okay, I will stop ranting.

--J.D.

TKD Black Belt
10/13/2006 10:52pm,
And to think I was wasting my life at this age playing piano, **** I gotta talk to my parents!

http://www.upstatekarate.com/Pic_1_Black_Belt_Pose.jpg

Note: For further reading check out my epic rant on 'Micro Masters'.

TKD

yodaman
10/13/2006 10:59pm,
And this is probably why my dad got in an argument with my mom over signing me up for karate, wanting me to go out for the wrestling team instead.

In my tenure at a TKD dojang, I never saw a parent being outright protective of their kid when they got hit. But I attribute that to how a group of assistants were always watching the kiddies spar, making sure they didn't hurt themselves.

Doctor X
10/13/2006 11:08pm,
Note: For further reading check out my epic rant on 'Micro Masters'.

Linky-Poo?

--J.D.

CanucKyokushin
10/13/2006 11:23pm,
I can't say I've ever seen this happen in my school.Is it possible it's because of lack of overseers for kids?

TKD Black Belt
10/13/2006 11:45pm,
Linky-Poo?

--J.D.

What am I? Your secretary?

I'd have to look for it, I seriously need to bookmark my better rants. I believe though that this is the story, sans rant, in question:

I was at a large tournament in the states, I think I was there as part of the Canadian team. Anywho, I'm wandering around pre-tournament and checking out the competition and looking for old friends, okay who am I kidding I was looking for the Norwegian women's team (the stories are true). I go through a group of young kids warming up and one of them is wearing a uniform. I probably gave the nice 'aren't you cute' smile and continued on.

One of the parents in the group gets up and calls out to me. I stop and turn and he asks if I do TKD to which I respond in the affirmative. He then gets very upset and points back to where this kid is playing gameboy up against the wall. (I quote):

"Is it the custom in your school to not bow to black belts when you see them?"

Now sparky was getting on my nerves and the kid in question probably weighed less than my gym bag and was more interested in his gameboy than my demonstration of respect. To the parent it was huge. This was later bookmarked as one of those, "I need to get the **** out of this sport!" moments.

TKD

WorldWarCheese
10/14/2006 12:20am,
Karate parents are anal about kid safety, I can only assume TKD is the same if not worse. I had a parent complain to me about "the violence of the sparring here" who had a week earlier complained when I said their child wouldn't be able to fight a college student (the kids was only 13) I don't understand it.

In my own judo class there's this 14 year old, who just had a dislocated his knee (ooomph it was an awful popping sound and was a totally accidental happening) and his dad just looks at him and says "That's pain, train hard so you don't feel it outside" or some other toughen up sort of thing. I respect that dad.

Don Gwinn
10/14/2006 2:14am,
Look at the sneer on that little puffball. He looks like he's about to Mount With Smugness.

Doctor X
10/14/2006 3:23am,
What am I? Your secretary?

Well you failed as rent-boy. . . .

NOW I am going to have to call a friend since he experienced a similar story. He was at some tournament with his son and a parent got mad he did not bow to his Little Precious who was like a Junior 3rd degree or something. My friend was a 4th but . . . alas . . . we do not have stripies to remind everyone how fantastic we are. He basically told parent to stuff it. I will check the details--make sure he did not accidentally read your story!!

Must . . . stop . . . before . . . I . . . rant. . . .

--J.D.

NorthWest
10/14/2006 7:15am,
I have run into the same TKD problem.
Here is what I did.

I met with the head instructor and voiced my concern.
I asked that could we set aside some seperate time after class for the more aggressive sparring. She (yes a she) said ok, that would be fine. Now the guys who want to stay after for about 30 minutes or so do. It has worked out great. My sparring has gotten a lot better. Also we have begun to include takedowns in our sparring which makes it a little more interesting.
This sounds perfectly reasonable, until a few months down the road, with the class punchbags feeling left out, they start whining at the instructor to let them stay back for the extra sparring sessions.
He will cave and then the cycle of bullshit starts all over again.

TKD Black Belt
10/14/2006 10:08am,
The funny thing is I have never and will never have my name written on a belt or the number of bars associated with my rank in any visible location. I prefer to lead through example. Along a similar line and themed "I got to get the **** out" story, I was asked by another black belt why it was that I did all the workout with my classes and groups when I was training them? In this guy's understanding he felt that a black belt was a 'get out of class free' card, trust me his pair shaped body was a strong indicator towards his feelings on diet and training.

TKD

PS - In a similar aspect, we used to have a fairly enthusiastic sparring class twice a week. This of course was near the end of the good ole' days when instructors could beat the living piss out of students and students would not only thank them but have to wait around after class as their parents thanked the instructor. (On a side note I have a scar on my lower lip from where I got punched getting ready for a tournament. My instructor felt I had dropped my hands one too many times and decided to show me why it was a bad idea.) At some point parent's decided that their kids where getting too beat up and the dreaded 'parent's comity' walked in and put a stop to all additional 'full contact' sparring classes. Funny thing is they replaced it with a patterns class!

Uechidude
10/14/2006 11:47am,
I agree...I teach kids, as well as adults. Funny thing is when I Sanchin test kids, you should see the parents first reaction...its like, I cant believe he hit them...*btw, no not like an adult practitioner* My daughter is in my class, and she gets no favoritism....I know this may sound tough, however I would rather be tough on them now, so they hopefully never fall prey to some pedophile POS....*sad thing there are plenty of them here in good ol FL*...Thing is I have gotten the attitude this is what I do, and if the parents dont like it.....take their buns over to Some Mc Dojo, to give them warm, and fuzzy feelings.

Askari
10/14/2006 12:38pm,
Admit it TKD, that is a picture of you isnt it?

WorldWarCheese
10/14/2006 4:52pm,
The funny thing is I have never and will never have my name written on a belt or the number of bars associated with my rank in any visible location. I prefer to lead through example. Along a similar line and themed "I got to get the **** out" story, I was asked by another black belt why it was that I did all the workout with my classes and groups when I was training them? In this guy's understanding he felt that a black belt was a 'get out of class free' card, trust me his pair shaped body was a strong indicator towards his feelings on diet and training.
I totally agree, some people want to just feel tough by wearing the clothes and don't ever do the work but can slide by on minimum of light sparing and kata then think the world of themselves. They're also the ones who like the showy gi's.

the good ole' days when instructors could beat the living piss out of students and students would not only thank them but have to wait around after class as their parents thanked the instructor.
"Thank you sir may I have another?"