PDA

View Full Version : Any fighters in Central Vermont/New Hampshire?

Cuchulain82
10/12/2006 3:29pm,
Hey all,

I need help. I recently relocated from NYC to central Vermont to start law school. Prior to moving I was training in both Muay Thai and PT Kali. In New York there are plenty of quality schools, but up here in rural Vermont there is nothing. Almost all schools I have found are TKD or chi-channeling Karate, pure bullshido as far as I can tell. The only exception is one BJJ school in Burlington, VT (the site is here: http://www.bjjusa.com/).

Anyway, with a few other people who want to train to fight, I'm trying to get something going at the school level. IS THERE ANYONE HERE WHO IS IN THAT AREA?! The school is based in South Royalton, Vermont and is very close to Dartmouth University in New Hampshire.

All of my homework shows me that the only schools of quality are too far away- Montreal, NYC, Boston, etc. I don't even need a school- we will find the space locally, but we simply don't have anyone who can instruct well. I'm hoping that someone with DBMA, PT Kali, Thaiboxer, BJJ, or MMA experience is in VT and is looking to get something started.

I don't want this to turn into law students wasting time doing an awful, inapplicable martial-dancing routine.

Anyone who has any bright ideas (I'm just about tapped out), please PM reply in the thread, use smoke signals... anything.

Cuchulain82
10/16/2006 12:43pm,
So, four days later and still nothing? I'm never gonna be able to train. If anyone has any info, please PM me or reply to the thread.

OZZ
10/16/2006 1:09pm,
Next time try posting in the right forum and you may have better luck.

MALibrarian
10/16/2006 1:51pm,
There are two places teaching BJJ in the area. The first is http://uppervalleyjudo.org/ run by John Widmann (BJJ Brown Belt, Nidan in Judo) in Grantham, NH. The other is at the River Valley Club http://www.rivervalleyclub.com/ in Lebanon, NH. I think that school is run by a Blue belt, but I can't remember. I've rolled with one of their students a few times and have learned a great deal from him. I'd call the RVC to find out more (the BJJ class there doesn't seem to have its own website).

Cuchulain82
10/17/2006 9:35am,
Next time try posting in the right forum and you may have better luck.
I didn't want to be that guy, but I picked the most general forum I could think of- if there is a fighter in the area, this would catch their attention, right? I want a school, but even somebody to spar with would be great.

@MALibrarian

Thanks for the school ideas. I'm not a BJJ person, but it's looking more and more like I might become one

TM
10/17/2006 11:03am,
Dartmouth has luke warm aikido and there is good chen style in White River Juntion. The other clubs are typical strip mall krotty stuff. Get down to White River Juntion, have some good alta cucina at Como Va and we'll play some Ha Say Fu.

TonyM.

TM
10/17/2006 11:08am,
Oh yeah. I heard dartmouth was going to buy the Vermont Law School. After the deal goes down the new name will be the Vermouth Law School.

prodog
4/13/2008 10:36am,
Im in the same boat- I was thinking about going to green mt bjj in Rutland, but if i can find a place to roll/ spar in Royalton, im down. I saw some VLS students at this last bjj torney. I live right in S. Rayalton. Im down to train anytime just give me a location and ill be there.