PDA

View Full Version : Hi, everyone!

dragonlord
10/11/2006 2:38pm,
I'm not very good at introductions and stuff, but, I guess I'll just start with the main interest on this site - Martial Arts.

I started martial arts when I was very young. I learned Shaolin Kung-Fu when I was about 9...but, it wasn't from a school...it was from a neighbor...so, I guess we can pretty much scratch off this episode of my martial arts career.

My first official session at an actual certified MA school was at Hawaii Aiki Kai Hombu Dojo on Waialae Blvd. (for all da locos hea :glasses2:)

I got up to 5th kyu (yellow belt) and had to quit, because my family decided to move us to Houston-by-gawd-Texas!!! Yeeeahah!

I couldn't really find a school here that equalled my dojo in Hawaii. So, that was the end of Aikido for me. Which is too bad, because I really enjoyed practicing it.

My next venture was several Kung-Fu instructors at my temple.

The first one was this old, effeminate dude (which reflected in his kung-fu moves, as well)...us rowdy kids pretty much ran him out of the place in a matter of weeks. I don't even remember what form he taught...

The second one was a bit better. I liked his philosophy and he wasn't as girly as the first one. I don't rightly recall why he left. I think he taught Shaolin. My apologies for my lack of memory, this was ages ago.

The third one was the best. He taught Hung-Gar Kung-Fu and was really big on the whole "Chi" dealio. But, most of what he taught were "Kill Moves". So, the monks, in their infinite wisdom deemed me too "reckless" and hot tempered to learn this "dangerous art." They demanded that I meditate an hour a day for 6 months before I could practice...needless to say, that was the end of my brief affair with Hung-Gar.

I went to the Koreans soon afterwards, Tae-Kwon Do to be exact, and the Koreans were like "Anguree Gooood! Mo' Angureee!!" At that instant, I knew that in all my wanderings, I'd finally found a place where I belonged.

Unfortunately, Tae-Kwon Do was too expensive. It was like $50 each time for belt-testing and being a HS kid with a single-mother...I just didn't have that kind of money. I worked out a deal with my master though. I'd be their janitor in exchange for continued lessons. That went on for like, 7 years or so...it was a symbiotic relationship...and, all parties were content. I ended up never taking the belt-ranking exam, so remained a white belt in Tae-Kwon Do for the duration. While there, I took advantage of their Hapkido (or, what I call "Aikido's Evil Brother") classes as well.

After Tae-Kwon Do came boxing, which was taught to me by an ex-boxer, "Justice Ortiz" from Puerto Rico, he apparently fought Roberto Duran in his youth...he didn't win...but, wasn't knocked out either. Boxing was definitely awesome, and admittedly, what I felt was the most effective of all the MA that I'd learned up until then. We trained out of a corner room at my local gym...so, I'm not sure if I can categorize this as an actual art that I learned either. Regardless, Justice got busted for theft (he denies it) and they fired him. No more boxing classes. Luckily, management at Bally's did find a very suitable replacement for me - Kickboxing. Kickboxing allowed me to combine my newly taught boxing skills with the kicking from TKD. And, there were enough students for me to spar with too! Funnnnn! But, that lasted only as long as the sessions that I paid for, which were extremely expensive.

So, I've been in limbo ever since and haven't decided or commited to starting up a new MA yet. Although, BJJ seems to have a lot of appeal, since getting my ass handed to me by my buddy who did HS wrestling...I felt it a flaw that needed to be immediately addressed. We'll see...there's a really good school nearby and I think I'll make it my New Year's resolution to finally clamp down on myself and join.

After re-reading my intro post, I've noticed that 90% of the MA I'd learned are all treated with a fair amount of disdain on this site...so, I'm prepared for the verbal thrashing that is about to be handed to me. *cringe*

Oh and pleased to meet y'all. :icon_blac

BackFistMonkey
10/11/2006 2:42pm,
yeah , hi ....

Thanks for coming by and saying Hello .

dragonlord
10/11/2006 2:50pm,
yeah , hi ....

Thanks for coming by and saying Hello .

Thanks buddy! :cool:

PirateJon
10/11/2006 3:12pm,
Boxing is awesome. You really don't need more than a bag and some gloves so yeah, that's real training. Not that it matters, but I looked up your man if you're interested.

Justice Ortiz
12 (2 ko's) - 31 - 4
http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=015908

dragonlord
10/11/2006 3:26pm,
Boxing is awesome. You really don't need more than a bag and some gloves so yeah, that's real training. Not that it matters, but I looked up your man if you're interested.

Justice Ortiz
12 (2 ko's) - 31 - 4
http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=015908

OMG!!! That's him!! He's was from NY!

I wonder why the Duran fight wasn't listed? :eusa_thin

But, yeah...boxing definitely was awesome. What other purpose is there for taking martial arts, if not to beat the crap out of your friends with, right? Well, after about 6 months of boxing, I was tearin' my buds up. One of them took up boxing, in acknowledgement of its effectiveness, and more importantly to exact his revenge on me. I need to learn BJJ fast!!! :toothy12: