PDA

View Full Version : World's Youngest Black Belt is from Utah!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Trubble
10/07/2006 1:36pm,
Seven-year-old Tanner Gallego completes grueling examination to become world’s youngest karate black belt.

Layton, UT (PRWEB) September 8, 2006 -- Seven-year-old Tanner Gallego of Layton, Utah, is accustomed to smashing boards and making rubble of bricks to amaze his friends and family. But simply crushing raw building materials is not enough to become black belt in karate. Recently, the 80-pound schoolboy completed a grueling seven-hour examination to become the youngest black belt in the world.

Gallego’s black belt examination included, among other things, hundreds of sit-ups and push-ups, a five-mile run in less than an hour, and having to break 12, inch-thick boards in less than two minutes. At the end of the test, he had to prove his fighting skill by battling numerous contenders, including older foes with a black belt.

Mike Burke, Gallego’s sensei, or teacher, has watched in astonishment as the pint-sized Gallego advanced through the karate form known as Shin-Toshi, the oldest form of karate in America. Burke stated “It’s beyond amazing ... to have someone stand up to the grueling test, and be just 7 years old ... he’s the true Karate kid!”

The founder of the Shin-Toshi form, Sabuim Mickey Fisher was dubious when he first learned of the young Gallego’s impending examination. Realizing that achieving the rank of black belt for adults is especially challenging, Fisher was heard to say before seeing Gallego perform: “This ain’t gonna happen!”

But the especially bright Gallego boy has made a believer of his skeptics. Fisher personally supervised Gallego’s examination, and admits that Gallego is everything he expects a black belt to be. “I never thought I would see the day when someone so young would earn the rank of black belt,” Fisher stated. “He’s as much a black belt as any adult we’ve ever trained.”

To interview Tanner Gallego, or to arrange for a karate demonstration, contact American Legacy Media, Call (toll free) 1-866-233-8165 or email .

Established in 1963, Shin-Toshi incorporates multiple forms of karate, chung do kwan, shorin-ryu karate, Chinese kenpo, tang soo do, and kung-fu, and emphasizes physical and mental toughness. Founder and Sabuim Mickey Fisher can be contacted via e-mail.

Gallego’s Sensei Mike Burke can be reached at (801) 475-7426.

###

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2006/9/prweb433931.htm#

Ronin.74
10/07/2006 1:43pm,
He'll probably be running his own school a month from now, and be 10th degree BB Soke of his own style within a year.

Shinshoryu
10/07/2006 3:59pm,
Don't forget about dominating the entire universe by his 18th B-day.

Steve
10/07/2006 4:05pm,
I demand a test for doping!

HonkyTonkMan
10/07/2006 4:11pm,
And I just THOUGHT my kids was tough....damn......

Steve
10/07/2006 4:40pm,
Curious if the 7 hours included the mid afternoon nap... Any info on that?

sochin101
10/07/2006 5:47pm,
Curious if the 7 hours included the mid afternoon nap... Any info on that?It was scheduled, but someone forgot to pack blankie. Makes the achievment all the more spectacular...

Trubble
10/08/2006 10:05am,
Someone in Utah should call that number and arrange for a demo...

Shinshoryu
10/08/2006 10:52am,
I think we should give a prize to the first person to post a picture.

NoMan
10/08/2006 11:05am,
I really like this:

Mike Burke, Gallego’s sensei, or teacher, has watched in astonishment as the pint-sized Gallego advanced through the karate form known as Shin-Toshi, the oldest form of karate in America.... The founder of the Shin-Toshi form, Sabuim Mickey Fisher .... Established in 1963, Shin-Toshi

The quotes reveal that "Shin Toshi" the oldest form of karate, has the grandmaster and founder still alive, and dates all the way back to 1963. (WOW!) Uhh..... could the people who report on the story bother to do a little background checking?

FredGarvinMP
10/08/2006 11:24am,
Layton? Ha ha ha. I always stay there when I go out to our company's production facility. Next time I go, I'll have to look this place up.

Backdraft
10/08/2006 11:34am,
How long is five miles? I'm curious because I'm having a hard time believing that a fucking 7 year old would run five miles under an hour. I'm also curious as to the age of the "older competitors" this kid had to "defeat" to earn his "black belt".

FredGarvinMP
10/08/2006 11:37am,
How long is five miles? Well, it's 5 miles or 8.1 km or 26,400 feet or 4,400 fathoms or 8.05x10^13 angstroms...

CanucKyokushin
10/08/2006 11:38am,
Approx. 8 km's I think.

or 10 Kelicams in Klingonese.
:icon_scra

Backdraft
10/08/2006 12:15pm,
Thanks everyone.
I still think it's a little too much for a 7 year-old...

Kintanon
10/08/2006 2:42pm,
5 miles an hour is a slow jog. I don't know many 7 year olds that don't regularly run 5 miles in an hour. Even if it's jsut back and forth and around in a cricle. For some perspective, back in 8th grade I jogged 1 mile in 8 minutes. I was short and slow. 5 miles in an hour is not a particularly difficult feat for most people, and while it might be difficult for a 7 year old it would not be insurmountable.

I'm sure this is a major accomplishment for this kid, and I'm sure he did earn the rank as far as the amount of work he put into it goes. Just don't confuse belt rank with ability to fight. Those two things have very little to do with each other nowadays. Of course, that's why my TKD school has Provisional or Junior black belts. The belt means you KNOW everything you need to be a black belt, but you just don't have the physicality to back it up yet. So you have to retest when you are 16 to get a real black belt.

Kintanon