PDA

View Full Version : Martially frustrated

Toby Christensen
7/23/2003 1:23am,
Hello all,

I'm having a really hard time finding an MA to master. My problems with the following MA in my local area (Queensland, Australia) and my praises are as such:

Boxing: My instructor was disturbed. Love the footwork and punches. Copped a lot of flak for being a disabled person in boxing.

Wrestling: Bunch of snobs. Got to love the groundwork etc though

BJJ: Bunch of snobs, only worse

Tai Chi: Erm..... No

Glima: Looks fiddly. Cool throws and trips though. Maybe appropriate for someone in my physical state.

Testa: No instructor. Huge prejudice in the MA and other community on "headfighting" (headbutting)

JKD: NO NO NO! Merely associating with Dan Inosanto does NOT make you a Sifu!

TKD: Er, my parent's poodle is prancy enough for me.

Judo: This is the big one; Judo is, in theory, the only MA open to a person with my conditions in the whole country. It was recommended I switch to Judo from African arts, but my beef(s) with Judo run thus:

1. Disabled sports in Australia are corrupt
2. Judo has limited groundwork
3. Judo takes decades of one's time
4. I have no interest in Japanese culture
5. Judo is "stylised" in technique
6. Judo is "ranked"; even though I know eyerakes, bearhugs etc I wouldn't be allowed to use them. I would have to grapple like a judoka, or no jelly and icecream for me! I would only be introduced to cool techniques, and permitted to use them, when I reach that rank

7. Judo does not have headbutts

After that rant, can anyone help me out with some sensible advice?

A 6th dan black belt in bastardry.

"Damn you! You dirty fighter." My sparring partner, also disabled, recovering from being bitten.

Kungfoolss
7/23/2003 1:27am,
Martial arts are a waste of time anyways, you're not missing much. Take up golf.

deus ex machina
7/23/2003 2:01am,
I'm having a really hard time finding an MA to master.

Your problem isn't finding an MA to master. Your problem is finding an MA that let's you do whatever the **** you want.

~
danny

"That baby better watch his mouth. I rape kids like him as part of my warm-up for raping teenagers, grown men, and eventually charging rhinos." - Boyd

BlackBeltNow
7/23/2003 2:35am,
before you try to find any martial arts school, i think you should take a class on how to be more social...then u try boxing, wrestling, and/or BJJ again.

Do Be Open-minded
Don't Be Gullible
-----------------
Aromatic Mornings, by BBN

Every morning I dream of Benzenes...
Those wonderful
planar
conjugated
1-3-5-cyclohexatrienes.

SamHarber
7/23/2003 3:06am,
screw being social. I like your sociopathic tendancies. Ever considered working in IT Support?

I'd reccomend escrima or something similar, and get a walking stick that easily breaks down into two halves.
Police "Put down the weapons"
You "**** off, I'm disabled. Stop oppressing me."

I can't believe that there are no FMAs where you live. I mean, your in bloody Australia, there have to be some illegal immigrants somewhere.

:)

Toby Christensen
7/23/2003 3:34am,
I love you SamHarber. I WOULD learn escrima, but I have a morbid fear of Filipinos.

screw being social. I like your sociopathic tendancies. Ever considered working in IT Support?

I'd reccomend escrima or something similar, and get a walking stick that easily breaks down into two halves.
Police "Put down the weapons"
You "**** off, I'm disabled. Stop oppressing me."

I can't believe that there are no FMAs where you live. I mean, your in bloody Australia, there have to be some illegal immigrants somewhere.

:)

"Sorry, did I say that out loud?"

"Damn you! You dirty fighter." My sparring partner, also disabled, recovering from being bitten.

SamHarber
7/23/2003 6:18am,
but I have a morbid fear of Filipinos. Now that is one hell of a hang-up.

mneal
7/23/2003 7:23am,
Judo: This is the big one; Judo is, in theory, the only MA open to a person with my conditions in the whole country. It was recommended I switch to Judo from African arts, but my beef(s) with Judo run thus:

1. Disabled sports in Australia are corrupt
2. Judo has limited groundwork
3. Judo takes decades of one's time
4. I have no interest in Japanese culture
5. Judo is "stylised" in technique
6. Judo is "ranked"; even though I know eyerakes, bearhugs etc I wouldn't be allowed to use them. I would have to grapple like a judoka, or no jelly and icecream for me! I would only be introduced to cool techniques, and permitted to use them, when I reach that rank

7. Judo does not have headbutts

1. Can't help you there
2. We practice alot of groundwork
3. All MA takes decades of time to master
4. We don't practice culture we do Judo
5. It isa no more stylized than any other MA
6. You can learn and use any technique you want just not in competition.
7. Funny you say that, we were learning some good headbuts from groundwork just last night.

Fisting Kittens
7/23/2003 7:40am,
^^^^ yep.

where I train, everyone regardless of rank learns whatever the teacher is teaching that night. My first night ever of judo we were going through some brown belt throws. Man that sucked. Hadn't even learned 0-goshi yet and I started on Soto Maki Komi andHane Maki Komi. Judo rules, like mneal says if you don't want to limit your techniques then don't compete.

---------
I have discovered the true essence of Bullshido: To crush your enemies. See them driven before you. And hear the lamentation of their women.
In short: to flame.

Toby Christensen
7/23/2003 7:43am,
"7. Funny you say that, we were learning some good headbuts from groundwork just last night."

Judo has headbutts? How about biting? Surely headbutting is not judo!

Blad3
7/23/2003 7:51am,
Boxing: My instructor was disturbed. Love the footwork and punches. Copped a lot of flak for being a disabled person in boxing.

Wrestling: Bunch of snobs. Got to love the groundwork etc though

BJJ:

Those three are like a peferct combination.

"JKD" - if its good then it;'s as good as an MMA school "maybe".

Aren't there any submission fighting/MMA places other than JKD?

"Wrestling is the Martial Art of America";
"If you don't know how to wrestle you don't know how to fight, that's the prerequisite to fighting" David Tank Abbott (http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/displayfighter.cfm?fighterid=110)

mneal
7/23/2003 7:54am,
Judo has headbutts? How about biting? Surely headbutting is not judo!

They were teaching self defense techniques last night just because you can't do something in competition does not mean they are not taught.

Fighty McGee
7/23/2003 9:44am,
Umm, Mr. Spastic, you already seem pretty well versed in "headbuttery" (Mmmmm, buttery!), so what do you need to do them in class for? It is probably the simplest, most direct attack in close range. Is it precisely because you are already comfortable with headbutting, and you want to use it in sparring, maybe to prove a point to yourself or others that you can fight? The same goes for eyerakes and bearhugs, 2 techniques you are already proficient at. I don't understand your fixation.

And Judo is easily one of the least culturally oriented MAs around. I also don't understand what you mean by stylized. All MAs are to some extent stylized. Judo focuses on throwing and grappling, with submissions and chokes, and there are self defense oriented techniques as well. I would suggest going to more clubs, if the one you attended was limited or offensive to you in some way. In any large city you will find several Judo clubs.

CrimsonTiger
7/23/2003 10:44am,
Agreed. Certain clubs include the culture as part of the training. Others do not.

I used to think I wanted that culture. Now I know I don't.

Regards,
CrimsonTiger

"Stop! Stop Haunting me!
It should be easy...

...easy as when you stopped wanting me." -Conjure One