PDA

View Full Version : What critereon?

thomasaaron
7/21/2003 1:02pm,
That one video clip about "Grotto Street Combat" on the "Fast f-ing hands" thread was goofy. I don't think Mr. Grotto's hands were all that fast.

What critereon do you think would have to be met to actually start your own style (or a legit name-bearing derivative of an existing style) and have it be RESPECTED?

Fighting Spirit is 90% of the battle. If you don't have it, you ain't **** -- regardless of what style you practice.

thomasaaron
7/22/2003 3:46pm,
Well???

Nothing is more stimulating than the ejaculation of...uh....knowledge...yeah, that's the ticket!

LLL
7/22/2003 3:59pm,
The criteria for starting your own style goes as follows:

1. I am a 10th degree black belt under Zoao Gorrok.
2. I have modified the 'art' to be more suitable for the modern world, thus I have given it a new name: F.U.K.U.P.
3. I have a 'cool' web page
4. I'm a badass undefeated fullcontact fighter. BUT only in tournaments that have been organized in some islands so small they aren't even on any maps.

thomasaaron
7/22/2003 4:01pm,
I was just thinking that there are so many schools out there (like tewryu, grotto street defense, and such) named after virtually unproven "fighters."

In the old days in Japan, you would have to back up your school if you started your own without sanction from a higher authority.

Just as a matter of opinion, what critereon would YOU consider necessary for a person's "personal martial arts style" to be considered legit?

Nothing is more stimulating than the ejaculation of...uh....knowledge...yeah, that's the ticket!

LLL
7/22/2003 4:03pm,
BTW. Criterion = singular. Criteria = plural. ;)

thomasaaron
7/22/2003 4:06pm,
LLL, GRAMMAR GEEK! ;)

Blad3
7/22/2003 4:06pm,
Nothing Osiris.

But yes thom, it would be EASY to make your own style, there is a chance many will respect you too, as there is no gorvenring body for Martial arts in the USA or UK, or even Europe.

"Wrestling is the Martial Art of America";
"If you don't know how to wrestle you don't know how to fight, that's the prerequisite to fighting" David Tank Abbott (http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/displayfighter.cfm?fighterid=110)

deus ex machina
7/22/2003 4:10pm,
Yes, kill them.

~
danny

"That baby better watch his mouth. I rape kids like him as part of my warm-up for raping teenagers, grown men, and eventually charging rhinos." - Boyd

Blad3
7/22/2003 4:31pm,
LLL is correct.

"If you don't know how to wrestle you don't know how to fight, that's the prerequisite to fighting" David Tank Abbott (http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/displayfighter.cfm?fighterid=110)

Blad3
7/22/2003 4:52pm,
lol at osirs and Deus with his his kinfe fighting pshyco instincts. I forget - do you carry a knife Deus?