PDA

View Full Version : What's goin on ya'll?

TheDarkJester
9/17/2006 5:00pm,
Always hated making intro threads.. But in any rate... Digging the forum.. I post on MAP quite a bit, didn't see a need to change my SN, but I see a few names on here I recognize from there as well.. but since this forum is like night and day compared to where I usually post, I figure I'll start from scratch

Names Val, I'm from Dallas/Ft. Worth area, and I currently train two different styles tuesday thru friday. Currently I'm just about under 1 year in my primary striking style, which is Northern Seven Star Mantis Kung Fu, and I also train in Pekiti Tirsia for weapons work. Looking to eventually round out my entire game with some BJJ, but my training plate is quite full at the moment so I'll run with what I got going.

In any case.. I dig this place. The layout is nice, people seem fairly knowledgable so I guess I'll give this place a shot. :)

SuperGuido
9/17/2006 6:35pm,
Yo!

I seem to be running into more and more hardcore Kung Fu guys...so tell me about your style.

Do you spar? When you spar, do you use the techniques/postures/movements of your form, or do you degenerate into "Kickboxing"?

Do you do resistance training?

Is conditioning a big part of your training?

Where do you train at?

Have fun! I have a feeling you'll fit right in here. Make sure you visit Sociocide as well, since you're very active in political discussions on MAP.

JohnnyCache
9/17/2006 7:00pm,
Is your name an ICP reference?

alex
9/17/2006 7:24pm,
i ate seven star praying mantis the other night, didnt agree with my stomach

MartialArtN00b
9/17/2006 7:49pm,

You eat bugs?

TheDarkJester
9/17/2006 7:57pm,
Yo!

I seem to be running into more and more hardcore Kung Fu guys...so tell me about your style.

Do you spar? When you spar, do you use the techniques/postures/movements of your form, or do you degenerate into "Kickboxing"?

Do you do resistance training?

Is conditioning a big part of your training?

Where do you train at?

Have fun! I have a feeling you'll fit right in here. Make sure you visit Sociocide as well, since you're very active in political discussions on MAP.

My style.. hmmm. Well lets see. Northern Praying Mantis kung fu is one massive bastard system comprised up of 18 other styles, the best techniques from each incorporated and systemized. Its mainly about deception, continuous flow of attack. For example.. Throwing out an eye gouge to cause your opponent to guard his face opens up the lower part of the body to attack. From there stepping forward and striking the groin, abs, knee.. numerous low risk techniques can be applied. We want to get in, overwhelm, take your balance. If it goes to the ground, we want it to end as quickly as possible, as the system is based somewhat on longfist kung fu. you need to be comfortable standing up as well as rolling around. There is no standard orthodox or southpaw per say.... Both sides of the body are trained equally.

Sparring is generally medium to heavy contact continuous. The objective is to demonstrate a clear knowledge and application of techniques under fire. You cannot apply your art effectively if you are not used to being under stress of attack. Degeneration into kickboxing as you put it defeats the purpose. Stances used are made to provide a strong root and balance, while staying highly mobile. Some are used to feint high while sinking low for a groin or solarplex shot. Some are used to set up for a trip or a throw. Others provide a good root for powerful front, side and rear kicks.

Resistance training at the moment is minimal for me. Sad to say, but my plate is so full its hard to fit it in with work, social life, training and the like.

Some of the people I train with don't condition like they should. Its sad to say but some are hobbyists and don't take fighting as seriously as it should be. I make it a point to get to the gym regularly, to work on strength training, flexibility as well as cardio. Mantis has an extremely fast and somewhat complicated manner of stepping patterns. At advanced levels a good mantis boxer moves like a freaking ghost. Its hard to keep track when I watch Sifu demonstrate a technique.. I have to watch his hands first, then his feet to fully understand.

I currently train with Sifu Steven Cottrell at Authentic Kung Fu in Fort Worth, TX.
website is www.authentickungfu.com

We also teach Yip Man Wing Chun (which I don't like because it doesn't take advantage of my body type) as well as Yang style Taiji Quan. I'd be glad to answer any question regarding my teacher and style anyone can come up with, or at least try my damndest :)

Is your name an ICP reference?
Yes and no. My personality is probably more equivalent to a jester. I like to crack a joke and bust balls. Sometimes both at the same time. I do still listen to that wicked clown music though, but nowadays I gotta be in the mood for it.

Perhaps you should have tried the cream of sum yung guy? Or maybe you're just gassy... but either way you should do both over there ;) *shrug*

JohnnyCache
9/17/2006 9:59pm,
ICP sucks donkeys. It's a legitimate opinion I hold, and one I enjoy fighting to defend.

TheDarkJester
9/17/2006 10:29pm,
ICP sucks donkeys. It's a legitimate opinion I hold, and one I enjoy fighting to defend.

So you enjoying scrapping over conversations to modern inner city music also known as Rap music? You belong in a music video sir. :new_spira

pauli
9/17/2006 10:35pm,
or a musical. really, he just wants to be a professional dance fighter.

JohnnyCache
9/17/2006 11:30pm,
So you enjoying scrapping over conversations to modern inner city music also known as Rap music? You belong in a music video sir. :new_spira

ICP are shitty, shitty rappers. And annoying as people. Not to mention small and weak.

And pauli, what I really want to compete in is building to building dance fighting, like in Rooftops! YAYYY!

TheDarkJester
9/18/2006 9:45am,
ICP are shitty, shitty rappers. And annoying as people. Not to mention small and weak.

And pauli, what I really want to compete in is building to building dance fighting, like in Rooftops! YAYYY!

Shitty in comparison to whom? I figure since you come off as a guru of hip hop, maybe we can compare notes here. Annoying as people? You mean you know them? When did you get the opportunity? Actually calling Jay small is kinda backwards.. He's really a big fatass.. Its Shaggy thats the skinny one...

If you're gonna bash on something, at least get informed on what it is before speaking up. :hippy2:

Yrkoon9
9/18/2006 1:06pm,
Sick men of asia IMO.

DerAuslander
9/18/2006 3:17pm,
Great, more MAPpers.

I can't believe they keep invading our forum.

Can't they understand that martial arts are about more than just fighting?!?

MacWombat
9/18/2006 7:41pm,
Seriously. These MAPers have to open their minds to the fact that martial arts are mainly about discipline and love. And scoring at TKD tournaments (both meanings).

JohnnyCache
9/19/2006 8:13pm,
Shitty in comparison to whom? I figure since you come off as a guru of hip hop, maybe we can compare notes here. Annoying as people? You mean you know them? When did you get the opportunity? Actually calling Jay small is kinda backwards.. He's really a big fatass.. Its Shaggy thats the skinny one...

If you're gonna bash on something, at least get informed on what it is before speaking up. :hippy2:

Shitty on an absolute scale of hip-hop. Last word a/last word b/last word a/last word b went out with shakspeare, they're little bitches that can't free-style, yet they want to battle Eminem, their schtick is a loathsome combination of the worst elements of Kiss and Snow, their fans are cheese-dick imitators between the ages of 12 and 16, etc.

I was at a social D show across from an ICP show once. The ICP kids would stand in line, then one of them would nerve up and try to go start some ****, get halfway across the street, see no "Juggalos waz rollin' wit him" and turn and slink back.

Essentially, ICP and their music are an infectious sort of bitchdom. A semiotic contagion its fans think is all about them, the dark carnivale is really a government-sponsored program to brand and mark the worst of white trash so that even their illiterate neighbors have a sign to know them by.

And yes, they're both little bitches. Even if they took steroids indefinatly, studied kung fu for 10,000 years, then invented the time machine, came back in time, and stepped out of the machine as ripped-ass cock-diesel badass that would have a chance in hell of kicking my ass, they'd still be little, tiny bitches inside.