PDA

View Full Version : CMA that actually spars, kicks the groin, and teaches grapling

Pages : [1] 2 3

Simonthesong
9/08/2006 8:13pm,
I am a student of Hung gar. I'm also a n00b to this forum, as well as to the city of Vancouver. I was so happy to hear that there was a large school in my style here, with a famous instructor. But it was not to be! Upon checking out the local Hung gar class, which infests both universities as well as seeming to be the only gig in town, I was saddened.

Not present were application drills, chin na (not even the lamest of finger locks), or any sort of sparring. Occasionally students play at sanshou, but the lack of people pounding on eachother every class, or before and after, left a gaping hole in my heart.

Forms were practiced by people who had no grasp of funamental techniques such as how to put one's body and stance into a punch. Even the most advanced student of the class, when demonstrating Fu Hok (an advanced form in my old class), showed a lack of fa jing and understanding of the application of the moves. Upon questioning a few students later on, I learned that application was not stressed, and that those sorry forms were the main teaching tool. Furthermore, these forms seemed to resemble the ones I learned, but changed to involve more jumping around, but fewer deep stances and excercises. As well, moves had been altered to be less difficult. To their credit though, I liked the warm-up, with some badass jumping jacks.

Jeez! I want a class like my old one, only minus the psychos who actually injure their classmates after a bad day...

Anyone with something to contribute?

Odacon
9/08/2006 8:17pm,
Yes, you are very lucky this thread is in newbietown. Lurk more before you venture outside it.

WorldWarCheese
9/08/2006 8:33pm,
Lurrrrrrrrrkkkkkkk, it'll help. I promise.

pauli
9/08/2006 9:15pm,
welcome to bullshido. where was your old school, and what were classes and curriculum like?

Simonthesong
9/09/2006 2:16am,
Curriculum/Class

Start class: length 2 hours
After warm up, assume horse riding stance or some other conditioning.
Look stupid for around 20 minutes, but feel the mighty stance of Siulum develop.
Find partner and condition arms, push hands-type stuff.
Drill techniques. Feel teh lame run in terror from your finger-mashing skills.

Application exercises:

Sparring: face opponent, hit him, do it again, don't stop. May be done harder contact with gloves, or softer with bare hands. Done often during any spare time.

Semi-circle of meanness: a half-circle of approx. 6 students array around the person in the middle. On a chair behind the person in the middle, out of his sight, a student point at members of the circle, who then attack. Variations include several attacks at once, or in rapid succession. Static stances invite groin kicks. Retreating gets you kicked (gently and with affection) in the head by the guy on the chair. Recieving a blow results in many many more without learning to take it.

I invite criticism in the form of arguments, not wee witty quips.

Simonthesong
9/09/2006 2:17am,
School was in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Odacon
9/09/2006 7:08am,
School was in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Does this place have a website? Any photos or videos of a class?

OZZ
9/09/2006 11:54am,
I am a student of Hung gar. I'm also a n00b to this forum, as well as to the city of Vancouver. I was so happy to hear that there was a large school in my style here, with a famous instructor. But it was not to be! Upon checking out the local Hung gar class, which infests both universities as well as seeming to be the only gig in town, I was saddened.

Not present were application drills, chin na (not even the lamest of finger locks), or any sort of sparring. Occasionally students play at sanshou, but the lack of people pounding on eachother every class, or before and after, left a gaping hole in my heart.

Forms were practiced by people who had no grasp of funamental techniques such as how to put one's body and stance into a punch. Even the most advanced student of the class, when demonstrating Fu Hok (an advanced form in my old class), showed a lack of fa jing and understanding of the application of the moves. Upon questioning a few students later on, I learned that application was not stressed, and that those sorry forms were the main teaching tool. Furthermore, these forms seemed to resemble the ones I learned, but changed to involve more jumping around, but fewer deep stances and excercises. As well, moves had been altered to be less difficult. To their credit though, I liked the warm-up, with some badass jumping jacks.

Jeez! I want a class like my old one, only minus the psychos who actually injure their classmates after a bad day...

Anyone with something to contribute?

Was the school in Vancouver's chinatown? Who was the teacher?

Kyokushin_Dave
9/09/2006 1:43pm,
Yes, you are very lucky this thread is in newbietown. Lurk more before you venture outside it.
Why is that Odacon? If a newbie posts outside of newbietown does that mean that those who are more experienced with forums and who have their rhetoric down to a fine art can simply abandon respect and common decency? Can those who are simply naive not ask naive questions without been torn to shreds?

OSU,

Dave.

PointyShinyBurn
9/09/2006 1:49pm,
Why is that Odacon? If a newbie posts outside of newbietown does that mean that those who are more experienced with forums and who have their rhetoric down to a fine art can simply abandon respect and common decency? Can those who are simply naive not ask naive questions without been torn to shreds?

OSU,

Dave.Welcome to the internet.

Kyokushin_Dave
9/09/2006 1:58pm,
Welcome to the internet. Ive been chatting in chatrooms and forums for years, Im not new to the Internet. So this brings me to my next questions - Does chatting/posting on the Internet mean we abandon the respect and decency we show (or hopefully show) people in our normal lives?

OSU,

Dave.

Simonthesong
9/09/2006 2:07pm,
Face to face communication has much more to it than the verbal component (wow...no **** really?). I think one could make a case that in order to express the emotion or nuance behind a comment that in RW would be obvious, one can exaggerate or use strong wording. This could seem less respectful, but really only reflects a persons passion about the subject.

That said, why would you post a quip that adds no real thought to the discussion? What purpose does this serve for you? Lulz? Fair enough, but there is that disrespect and lack of courtesy kyokushin_dave brought up.

Cullion
9/09/2006 2:36pm,
People are supposed to be polite in newbietown. If the thought of people saying exactly what they think in whatever manner they like with no respect for your feelings is disturbing, don't venture outside newbietown.

Simonthesong
9/09/2006 2:43pm,
Right. So on the internet, people can dispense with that little veneer of common courtesy that makes society function. After all, if you never have to deal with them in real life, there's no chance of them killing you and taking your stuff.

The problem isn't that I am disturbed by bluntness. The problem is that people are blunt *and* insulting. I'm posting here not to have a flame war, but to learn something.

Odacon
9/09/2006 3:02pm,

OSU,

Dave.

It's not even close to that. On Bullshido if you sign up and make claims that you're one of the few places that as he himself puts it in his thread title "CMA that actually spars, kicks the groin, and teaches grapling" and then doesn't provide any evidence like pictures, videos or a website that contains said media, then yes he will be torn to shreds. But in the newbitown he's ok because this is the on place flaming and trolling isn't allowed. Now, consider what I said:

I'm trying to help the guy, if he lurks around, he'll find a million "we have teh [email protected] Wing Chun/Aikido/JJJ/Hapkido etc." and find out that they desecdend into clunky, circular, flame wars. Not because We're a bunch of nutriders who think that it's only Muay Thai/Boxing/Kyokushin/BJJ/Wrestling/Judo/Sambo that works, most of the worthwhile members who are worth your time here know that most if not all arts have their virtue, but that it has to be proven first, that's Bullshido's Standing order. A product of this is the sometimes aggressive, sometimes cold and insensitive athmosphere but that is what vigilance produces which is not for everyone, which is why there is always MAP!

Simonthesong
9/09/2006 3:12pm,
1. I never said that I trained "in one of the few places" that spars, kicks the groin, and teaches grapling, I only said that my class included these things, and that the class of the same style here doesn't.

2. Why would I ever claim to have elements of class curriculum when I really don't? Wouldn't it stand to reason that if my class didn't inlcude those exercises that I listed, I wouldn't mention them at all? Anway, in my original post, I was lamenting the lack of these elements in the class here. I have no onus to convince you that I'm telling the truth.

I am not claiming "we have teh [email protected] Wing Chun/Aikido/JJJ/Hapkido etc."

I guess I will say again, my OP was on the lack of activites I percieve to be useful and necessary in the local class of my style.