PDA

View Full Version : Cross-training in 3 arts from the start? MT/BJJ/Kali

spirez
9/07/2006 1:05pm,
I'm not sure what to do!

I've read this thread and good points are made on both sides of the argument.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45114&highlight=%2Across%2A

The three arts i'm looking at are MT, BJJ and Kali. I've just completed my first week's free training and have tried all 3 arts and love all 3.

They all seem so different so i'm thinking it wouldn't really hinder me as such, but then 3 arts is a lot to try and grasp, especially with the Kali. Here's the timetable i'd be following just to give you a rough idea of what is trained and when:

http://kali-thaiboxing.co.uk/classes.htm

The time are flexible btw. I did Kali last night until 10:15!

I dont think it would be easy to mix up these arts as the grappling is ground based and the Kali obviously has a totally different stance and footwork to MT due to being weapons based.

Opinions?

If i have to drop one it will most likely be the Kali, but then this, at least from first impressions, seems to be the most difficult to pick up therefore requiring more time to get to a decent standard.

Rubberduck
9/07/2006 1:09pm,
Welcome. Just be careful you dont burn yourself out, otherwise have fun and good luck.:eusa_ange

pauli
9/07/2006 1:13pm,
assuming you've got the time and money for all three, the only remaining concern is injury - both acquiring them directly, and simply having enough time for your body to heal. overtraining creeps up on you. 2+ hours a night, four nights in a row (plus saturday) is a fair bit for your body to deal with (says the guy who trains five days a week and took last night off to rest a sore knee, ankle, and pair of wrists).

and yeah, gotta watch for burnout.

ojgsxr6
9/07/2006 2:03pm,
See, I would think that crosstraining would stop yoiu from burning out.

pauli
9/07/2006 3:20pm,
it does, relative to training just as much in one style. thing is, training 10+ hours a week is training 10+ hours a week, no matter how you slice it, and you can still burn out on that.

Teh El Macho
9/07/2006 3:59pm,
See, I would think that crosstraining would stop yoiu from burning out.Really. I would think it would be the same as training the same amount of time in one style... at least when cardio is concerned. But I'm talking out of my ass, though :tongue3:

Spirez, if you can pull that off, you da man. That looks like a sweet deal of a schedule.

ojgsxr6
9/07/2006 4:08pm,
I wasn't thinking about physically burning out, I was thinking more mentally, when you just wantto take a break from training.

spirez
9/07/2006 5:40pm,
Well, i'm gonna see what the pricing is like to train in all 3, that will be a deciding factor at the moment. It's a lot cheaper if i pay monthly by direct debit and the price depends on how many classes you decide to do.

I'm doing the yoga too, it's helping to improve my stability and flexibility already.

I accidentally went to the advanced Muay Thai class tonight, nearly fainted! lol. Need to build up my CV work but it's a good target to set myself.

selfcritical
9/09/2006 7:06pm,
You can execute most MT moves from the kali footwork structure, so it conflicts a lot less than you think(kali leg striking looks a lot like MT too, although modified with the assumption that you're either a) using the kicks to harass and setup a stab or b) using the kicks to close the gap and grapple)

Hannibal
9/10/2006 6:07am,
Training in three martial arts can be very time consuming. Personally, I reccommend going with Muay Thai and BJJ. Get the solid stuff under your belt first.

Lv1Sierpinski
9/10/2006 8:22am,
What do the instructors think? And what do you think you would pick if you could only pick one?

spirez
9/10/2006 4:45pm,
If i could only pick one it would definitely be Muay Thai for the fact that it's a really good workout, there's loads of conditioning and it's easier to pick up than the other two.

The other two i like equally, but Kali seems more rounded and i'd say more street effective in my opinion. BJJ is awesome though

clarky
9/11/2006 9:27am,
I have crossed trained for years aiki jiu jutsu, jui jutsu and bujinkan

I found it a little conflickting when i got past black belt as i was asked to teach more and more

but all styles have there good points and bad points and i still refuse to wear a hakama .

Chaotic
9/13/2006 10:08pm,
I'm pretty much a noob and I've changed from a RBSD type school (went there about two months) to a good boxing and grappling gym.

I'm going to try to do boxing twice a week, grappling twice a week and kickboxing once a week. The classes are an hour long, but they seem very intense (from a workout sense). I feel beat at the end of class, but I really enjoy it.

Does this seem like a reasonable schedule for a beginner in okay shape?

Lv1Sierpinski
9/13/2006 11:46pm,
Up to you...just pay attention to your body and you'll be fine.

Red Elvis
9/14/2006 12:21am,
I've used this approach and it has worked for me. You will always be better at one or the other but nothing wrong with training in multiple styles that don't conflict. Those three in my opinion are a very good fit. That's the basis for a lot of the guys I'm training with now. Good luck and keep us updated as to your progress.