PDA

View Full Version : Hi and thanks

Pages : [1] 2

LydiaC
8/24/2006 4:29am,
Another newbie here. I trained in Shotokan Karate years ago, until life/exams etc got in the way of training. I had been wanting to take it up again, and a few weeks ago got doorstepped by GKR (I know, might as well pin a "kick me for being stupid" sign to my back, in my defence I hadn't had any involvement in MA for years...but that's no excuse.)

Anyhow, I attended a couple of sessions and a few things didn't seem quite right, so I googled it and found the thread here, as well as similar threads on other forums. Needless to say, I've looked up my nearest Shotokan club and will be going there in the future.

I doubt I will have much to say here - I am not nearly hardcore enough to hang with you guys, but just wanted to say thanks for the info.

Lydia

Locu5
8/24/2006 6:50am,
Welcome, we like krotty chicks. So, if I may... why shotokan, specifically?

LydiaC
8/24/2006 7:01am,
Well, at the time, I was a kiddo, and went along to the club went it started training in a new Sports Centre near where I lived. My Dad was a boxer in the British Army, and he wanted me to take up a not too heavy contact MA. My older brother did TKD and so I didn't want to do that because he is a git, so I didn't want to be in his club where he could kick me about more than he did at home already.

I just like the culture of Shotokan - our Sensais were pretty strict, and the emphasis was on discipline and respect. My club was a KUGB one, so quite traditional.

edit: I've just realised - that sounds like my Dad wanted me to train so we could have family fights and he could knock us about - not true! - he just thought it was important for kids to have some kind of self defence/self discipline/ training.

Locu5
8/24/2006 7:03am,
And what about this new school you will be going to, are you excited about it in and of itself or does it just happen to be a shotokan school? What are you looking for out of a martial art?

alex
8/24/2006 7:07am,
I just like the culture of Shotokan - our Sensais were pretty strict, and the emphasis was on discipline and respect. My club was a KUGB one, so quite traditional.

ugh, i cant stand that kind of training.

i wouldnt join a karate school just cos its shotokan, theres lots of styles of karate. a good teacher is more important than the name on the door.

LydiaC
8/24/2006 7:19am,
Well, it's JKA affiliated, and I wanted that or KUGB. I remember the head of the (S Ohta) England JKA from when he was assistant to S Enoeda - I graded 1st Dan with S Enoeda and attended a few of his training sessions.

I like the balance of the style - for me its a good combination of power/speed/flexibility training. I'm not looking for a heavy combat/defence style - I'm 5'7 and 125lb, so however good I get if there's trouble with some huge dude, I'm better off running.

I'm getting back into training because I just hit my 30s and now my metabolism is no longer my friend. I don't want to starve myself or head to a gym with the aerobics bunnies, and I've been thinking about getting back to Karate for a while.

I also like the general culture of Shotokan - I can't stand clubs where they p*ss about during training, or you have kids (or adults) getting away with rubbish stances/techniques without correction.

LydiaC
8/24/2006 7:25am,
I completely agree that it's the teacher that matters.

I guess I'm going for Shotokan because it's what I knew, and I found myself instinctively going back into the Shotokan techniques during the couple of sessions I did at the GKR club.

I know it's like pinning a target to my back to say this, but I like discipline in training. It's what works for each person I guess - my Dad was a really dirty fighter, hated anyone trying to tell him what to do.

MacWombat
8/24/2006 7:28am,
I don't think Locu5 or Alex were recommending that you go to a Mall dojo rather than Shotokan. Kyokushin seems to be more respected around here, but I really don't know enough about either style to tell you why. However, that's probably what they meant with 'Why shotokan?'

Edit: nevermind you just answered it.

Locu5
8/24/2006 7:39am,
I ran into the same metabolism problem around 29.. the pounds just kept piling on. I find that BJJ forces me to push myself into a level of fitness that will allow me to be competitive with my peers and betters. Are you interested in coming to a Throwdown sometime for some friendly sparring?

LydiaC
8/24/2006 7:45am,
Define "friendly"....like where the Karate girl gets pummelled?

Just kidding (sort of. I would not mess with you BJJ guys for any money.) I'm in London, UK, so it might be a little far to travel.

Locu5
8/24/2006 8:29am,
No worries, we have UK Throwdowns. And friendly means just that, we beat you down with a smile :-). You can spar in any format you like, including just standup. Think about it, they are quite fun.

logan32
8/24/2006 9:30am,
Hey Lydia,
Welcome aboard I am pretty new myself around here. Good luck with getting back into training.

LydiaC
8/24/2006 10:33am,
Locu5 - Will definitely consider it after I have a few months back in training. Thanks.

Logan32 - Hi, and thanks.

Pandinha
8/24/2006 11:41am,
Alex,

How did you get over 2k posts and I've never noticed you before?

Name Change?

alex
8/24/2006 7:09pm,
i am the artist formerly known as ikken hisatsu formerly known as warrior biskit (i think, back when it was mcdojo.com)

Torakaka
8/24/2006 7:17pm,
Another newbie here. I trained in Shotokan Karate years ago, until life/exams etc got in the way of training. I had been wanting to take it up again, and a few weeks ago got doorstepped by GKR (I know, might as well pin a "kick me for being stupid" sign to my back, in my defence I hadn't had any involvement in MA for years...but that's no excuse.)

Anyhow, I attended a couple of sessions and a few things didn't seem quite right, so I googled it and found the thread here, as well as similar threads on other forums. Needless to say, I've looked up my nearest Shotokan club and will be going there in the future.

I doubt I will have much to say here - I am not nearly hardcore enough to hang with you guys, but just wanted to say thanks for the info.

Lydia

If there's one thing you realize after being with this site for a while, it's that the vast majority of it's members are anything but "hard core".

edit- except maybe hardcore dweebs.