PDA

View Full Version : Cost of training?

ignignokt
8/23/2006 6:59pm,
I was looking into learning judo lately, and I checked out this organization taught by volunteers, and it was still around $1,000 per year ($350 initial fee, $50/month). I guess the profit goes into the parent organization? It's some Japanese cultural organization.

My guess is that any other place is going to be as much or more. Is this case? I was sort of hoping to find a small group of (knowledgeable and experienced) people that just practice and teach each other without a big organization, but I guess that doesn't happen that often in this country.

I'm interested in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu as well but suspect it's really expensive. I know someone in Vancouver that pays $200/month. Is it like that here? The Gracies made sure that absolutely no clues about cost appear on their web site.

CanucKyokushin
8/23/2006 7:08pm,
Holyshit!That's the most expensive Judo club I've ever heard of.

Go to the BJJ club to ask!But don't sign anything.

Also are you a young kid?If you are than I suggest getting your parents approval.

Look around some more.Many schools and gyms have websites.So just start there.Than go visit.

PointyShinyBurn
8/23/2006 7:14pm,
I was looking into learning judo lately, and I checked out this organization taught by volunteers, and it was still around $1,000 per year ($350 initial fee, $50/month). I guess the profit goes into the parent organization? It's some Japanese cultural organization.That's not a vast amount of money in monthly fees, but the huge signup fee is unusual and sounds fishy. Check your national federation's website from http://www.ijf.org to see if they're a legit club. Do they have a web site? Either way that sign up fee is an enormous rip off.

My guess is that any other place is going to be as much or more. Is this case? I was sort of hoping to find a small group of (knowledgeable and experienced) people that just practice and teach each other without a big organization, but I guess that doesn't happen that often in this country.Judo should always be linked to your national, IJF-affiliated organisation, but it's often extremely cheap anyway, check your local Universities and YMCAs for not-for-profit clubs.

If you tell us where you are someone might be able to suggest something.

I'm interested in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu as well but suspect it's really expensive. I know someone in Vancouver that pays $200/month. Is it like that here? The Gracies made sure that absolutely no clues about cost appear on their web site.Where's 'here'? BJJ does tend to be pretty dear, but again if you give us your location we could be of more help.

ignignokt
8/23/2006 7:43pm,
Thanks. I'm just north of Chicago. I actually found another judo place that's closer to me and am emailing them about pricing and class structure information.

This is the place I was talking about earlier:

http://www.tohkon.com/jump.html?about

It does appear to be part of the US Judo Federation. So far, it doesn't look like any local YMCAs have judo, but I'll keep looking.

CrapKnee
8/23/2006 7:59pm,
I've found a BJJ place near SUNY Albany -- two, actually -- at least one of which charges $30 a month for one class per week. It's $40 or $50 for two classes a week. The other I'm not sure about, but that seems pretty good to me.

pauli
8/23/2006 9:47pm,
that's really a matter of who's doing the teaching, and what the facilities are like.

oh, and that enrollment fee for the first school appears to actually be an initial three month contract, plus gi and some useless ****. still weird.

snake_chaser
8/24/2006 4:24am,
There are some expensive clubs where I live, but you can train 5 days a week. the cost is about 90 bucks but if you take advantage of all your training opportunities it is worth it.

CannibalCrowley
8/24/2006 7:04am,
This is the place I was talking about earlier:

http://www.tohkon.com/jump.html?about

It does appear to be part of the US Judo Federation. So far, it doesn't look like any local YMCAs have judo, but I'll keep looking.

From what I've seen the Tohkon is a pretty good judo club. They put on a great tournament every summer as well (Tohkon Classic).