PDA

View Full Version : What's a good martial art for a small female?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Airman Kai
8/22/2006 8:56am,
My girlfriend, constantly badgering me about my martial arts, has finally gotten me to warm to the idea of her taking some form of combatives as well, but to be honest, I'm not sure what would be affective with her. She's 5'6" and about 115 lbs.

I'll be damned If she goes to some fuckin' TKD school around here, but I'm also not sure if Judo is gonna work with her frame either... I'm hesitant to tell her karate or kung fu should be her martial pursuit. I'd just be wrecking that train.

Any suggestions?

**EDIT**

So she can beat folks up. The same reason I do martial arts. I want to her to a proficiency in unarmed combat. We're already in good shape, dude, we're in the AF.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
8/22/2006 9:05am,
Archers are all small and wimpy. Have her beat up a few of them, to learn the basics. Then she can move up to rythmic dancers.

pauli
8/22/2006 9:09am,
a martial art for what purpose? fitness? self defense? sport? getting chicks?

Iron Monkey
8/22/2006 9:12am,
For self defense?

nifoc
8/22/2006 9:14am,
Most traditional MA are based around training anyone...I train in Hung Gar and my Sifu sometimes bring up Sifu Tony Brown as an example that anyone can learn Hung Gar. Tony Brown teaches Hung Gar in Norway and was born with only one arm, his right ends just over where his elbow should be. Sifu Brown is despite this a real fighter and has fought matches with little or no rules and often won.

What I'm trying to say is that it doesn't matter what style you train as long as you have a good teacher, who understands that different bodytypes use different techniques.

patfromlogan
8/22/2006 9:15am,
I took mega off ignore, back he goes. Is he ever funny? Does he ever say anything?

Though to give him a break (and I'd be thrilled to do so), you might use search a bit. And a belt knife would be a great equalizer, IMHO. A lot of time training gives the mind set, but smaller weaker types got to get it in, and take out the attacker, because fucking around will get them killed. Judo would be great, by the way. It takes less muscle and more skill (kinda, in general) - I've played with Judoka and some small guys have certainely owned me with ease.

SuperGuido
8/22/2006 9:15am,
Grappling.

Yes, she'll be rolling around with a lot of other guys that could probably kick your ass.

Her body will be pressed against theirs, their breathing heavy and labored, as each scrambles to place their body on top.

So...are you secure enough to handle it? You wouldn't be jealous, would you?

;)

Honestly, I went through the same thing with my fiance. However, being an artist/musician/journalist/dancer, she wouldn't do ANYTHING that didn't "look pretty".

I wanted her to take grappling with me, but she wasn't comfortable grappling other men. I wanted her to get into Muay Thai...but the gym was too intimidating for her.

So...we settled on signing her up at an inexpensive, hard-sparring Kung Fu school with instructors that were raised in Jersey. They boxed, sparred medium contact, and did a lot of drills...but also had enough flowery animal forms and pretty weapons drills to keep her entertained.

I would recommend that you show her books/videos of different martial arts and see what appeals to her. Then take her to local schools and see which one she likes.

Airman Kai
8/22/2006 9:23am,
Grappling.

Yes, she'll be rolling around with a lot of other guys that could probably kick your ass.

Her body will be pressed against theirs, their breathing heavy and labored, as each scrambles to place their body on top.

So...are you secure enough to handle it? You wouldn't be jealous, would you?

;)

Honestly, I went through the same thing with my fiance. However, being an artist/musician/journalist/dancer, she wouldn't do ANYTHING that didn't "look pretty".

I wanted her to take grappling with me, but she wasn't comfortable grappling other men. I wanted her to get into Muay Thai...but the gym was too intimidating for her.

So...we settled on signing her up at an inexpensive, hard-sparring Kung Fu school with instructors that were raised in Jersey. They boxed, sparred medium contact, and did a lot of drills...but also had enough flowery animal forms and pretty weapons drills to keep her entertained.

I would recommend that you show her books/videos of different martial arts and see what appeals to her. Then take her to local schools and see which one she likes.

OMGz i whup yo ass now, you sum bitch!

I actually had a lot of similar thoughts when I started.

ME: Hmm, Grappling is effective, why not that?
Pessimistic ME: There are no grappling schools in range of your paltry airman's budget.
ME: How about MT? I could even show her the basics for free and see if she likes it!
Pessimistic ME: And what then? There's no MT gym close enough either!
ME: Well, I don't wanna cripple her with TKD, and all the other schools in the are are Karate, TKD, or Kung fu.
Pessimistic ME: You're just screwed, then. Why would you wanna have her learn to fight, anyways? She already beats you at argument-jutsu.

And her pulling guard is already CRAZY, dude! Hip thrusts are my only escape!

Torakaka
8/22/2006 9:28am,
Anything but karate.

UpaLumpa
8/22/2006 9:30am,
Judo, subwrestling, bjj etc.
If by beat folks up you mean fight, any of the above will teach her skills to do so in a relatively short amount of time and to do so against those bigger than her (given a skill differential). With any of the above make sure there are other women in the class, some schools are more girl friendly than others.

If you mean "self defense", get her a concealed carry permit.

IronShin
8/22/2006 9:32am,
ME: How about MT? I could even show her the basics for free and see if she likes it!
Pessimistic ME: And what then? There's no MT gym close enough either!
ME: Well, I don't wanna cripple her with TKD, and all the other schools in the are are Karate, TKD, or Kung fu.
Pessimistic ME: You're just screwed, then. Why would you wanna have her learn to fight, anyways? She already beats you at argument-jutsu.

Dude, there's no way you can teach her the basics. Hell, even TKD would be better than that.

UpaLumpa
8/22/2006 9:33am,
Im on dialup so I missed some of that. What about a boxing gym or whatever you do?

Airman Kai
8/22/2006 9:37am,
Dude, there's no way you can teach her the basics. Hell, even TKD would be better than that.

Oh, man, you sure got me! Whoa, I'd better re-evaluate some of my statements! Or, you could just STFU, NOOB.

Airman Kai
8/22/2006 9:39am,
Im on dialup so I missed some of that. What about a boxing gym or whatever you do?

Before the AF, yah, but since I've been stationed to Scott AFB, there's not really anwhere to train that isn't an hour away, and my schedule just doesn't allow it.

Master Bait
8/22/2006 9:43am,
If she's cute, just send her to TKD.

Airman Kai
8/22/2006 9:45am,
If she's cute, just send her to TKD.

I'm sorry, but although cute, I refuse to send my Nubian Queen to be whitewashed at a TKD school. I just won't allow it!:qright2: