PDA

View Full Version : My Intro

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

TigerEye
8/21/2006 6:24pm,
Hi Everyone,

I stumbled across this forum during a boring work day, and I loved the name so much I registered. I've been studying Shao Tao Shi Zei Kung Fu for 10 years, with some cross training in Kosho Ryu Kempo and Wing Chun. I'm eager to gain insight from other practicioners and share what I know as well. Thanks for having me.

RunningDog
8/21/2006 6:39pm,
Hi Everyone,

I stumbled across this forum during a boring work day, and I loved the name so much I registered. I've been studying Shao Tao Shi Zei Kung Fu for 10 years, with some cross training in Kosho Ryu Kempo and Wing Chun. I'm eager to gain insight from other practicioners and share what I know as well. Thanks for having me.

Good morning.
What does the kung fu involve? any fighting?
Wing chun tends to get insulted on this forum, don't worry yourself about that yet. But it might be worth reading past threads about it.

TigerEye
8/21/2006 7:13pm,
Good morning.
What does the kung fu involve? any fighting?
Wing chun tends to get insulted on this forum, don't worry yourself about that yet. But it might be worth reading past threads about it.
Shao Tao translates into Way of the Beast, and Shi Zei = Bandit Style. It has the animal system that Shaolin adopted. It's strictly a combat style, and it emphasizes techniques against multiple attackers that later become forms. Some other forms we have build speed, power and stamina. The Triads brought it to the West along with all the heroin back in the '60's.

My sifu encourages cross training, so that explains my Wing Chun and KR Kempo background. There are some good concepts in both arts that I incorporated into my fighting style. Personally, I don't enjoy fighting in a box, so I don't claim WC as my primary.

RunningDog
8/21/2006 7:20pm,
I didn't say I would insult Wing Chun. I teach that ****. The fact you think it's phone box fighting suggests to me that you have much to learn, as does, quite possibly, your sifu.

Anyway, do you get to apply the multiple opponent/animal forms in sparring?

vinhthekid
8/21/2006 9:21pm,
why do i feel like you're going to get eaten alive?

RunningDog
8/21/2006 10:12pm,
Don't listen to vintheskid. You're safe here in newbietown.

TigerEye
8/21/2006 10:53pm,
I didn't say I would insult Wing Chun. I teach that ****. The fact you think it's phone box fighting suggests to me that you have much to learn, as does, quite possibly, your sifu.

Anyway, do you get to apply the multiple opponent/animal forms in sparring?

I didn't mean to offend. I have as much to learn as anyone, and my WC opinion definitely didn't come from my sifu, as it's not his job to teach me about other styles besides his; my opinion came from the forms I've seen and many demonstrations I've attended. I am happy to be educated otherwise. My other thought about WC is that it's one of the most powerful styles I've seen. I have incorporated things like the sil lum tao, chi sao, chain punching, and sandbags into my own training. Our Iron Shirt training has several WC principles. My last post notwithstanding, I actually have alot of respect for WC.

To answer your question, every technique we learn has an animal form/multiple opponent in mind. I should also point out that the animal styles each contain the 5 elements of fire, earth, water, air, and void. Each style has some of each element, but is usually dominant in one. For example, tiger is dominant in fire. We have a specific drill designed for multiple attackers called Circle of Enlightenment. One guy in the circle, everyone attacks at once (unlike a typical Van Damme flick). Everyone takes turns being the middle.

TigerEye
8/21/2006 10:55pm,
Don't listen to vintheskid. You're safe here in newbietown.

Thanks, although I didn't help my cause earlier.

RunningDog
8/21/2006 11:03pm,
I didn't mean to offend.
It is not possible to offend me via the internet.

We have a specific drill designed for multiple attackers called Circle of Enlightenment. One guy in the circle, everyone attacks at once (unlike a typical Van Damme flick). Everyone takes turns being the middle.
Now this is a little dodgy. If you're being told that this is realistic 'mutliple assailant' training, your sceptic meter should be off the scale.
If you are in the middle of a circle of people who want to kick the **** out of you, they will kick the **** out of you, but you'll probably deserve it, for being stupid enough to find yourself in that circle.

Scrapper
8/21/2006 11:07pm,
*Checks to see if we are in newbietown*

GAWDAMMIT!

How much live work do you do in a class? Particiapate in any san shou competitions and whatnot?

I love san shou.

alex
8/21/2006 11:10pm,
I didn't mean to offend. I have as much to learn as anyone, and my WC opinion definitely didn't come from my sifu, as it's not his job to teach me about other styles besides his; my opinion came from the forms I've seen and many demonstrations I've attended. I am happy to be educated otherwise. My other thought about WC is that it's one of the most powerful styles I've seen. I have incorporated things like the sil lum tao, chi sao, chain punching, and sandbags into my own training. Our Iron Shirt training has several WC principles. My last post notwithstanding, I actually have alot of respect for WC.

To answer your question, every technique we learn has an animal form/multiple opponent in mind. I should also point out that the animal styles each contain the 5 elements of fire, earth, water, air, and void. Each style has some of each element, but is usually dominant in one. For example, tiger is dominant in fire. We have a specific drill designed for multiple attackers called Circle of Enlightenment. One guy in the circle, everyone attacks at once (unlike a typical Van Damme flick). Everyone takes turns being the middle.

you know i hear this kind of soggy biscuit circle jerk style of training from a lot of bullshido backwaters (**** im on a roll here) but i never get to see any video evidence of it. if you put a guy from our club in the middle of a ring then had everyone else attack him at once he would get fucking destroyed and probably spend the night in hospital. although you didnt say it was full contact so it might just be everyone rushes in and plays tag which is believable.

the whole element thing cracks me up. you might want to keep quiet about that corny power rangers bollocks if you venture out of newbie town.

alex
8/21/2006 11:12pm,
also scrapper i just want to say you are one sexy bitch. i bet you get taken aside at airports for trying to bring those weapons of mass destruction on board! peow peow!

TigerEye
8/21/2006 11:16pm,
If you're being told that this is realistic 'mutliple assailant' training, your sceptic meter should be off the scale.

Nope, it's just a drill.

If you are in the middle of a circle of people who want to kick the **** out of you, they will kick the **** out of you, but you'll probably deserve it, for being stupid enough to find yourself in that circle.

Totally agree with you on both counts. If I am stupid enough to be in that circle, one of them will go down with me.

alex
8/21/2006 11:21pm,
id debate that. many a time i have seen what happens when a bunch of people attack one person and it isnt pretty, you would be lucky to get off one punch before you have two guys holding you down while another one stomps your head off. multiple attacker defense= cross country sprinting

im talking about people who are actually intent on hurting you here not a bucn hof drunken students trying to play hardman outside a club

RunningDog
8/21/2006 11:25pm,
Nope, it's just a drill.

Totally agree with you on both counts. If I am stupid enough to be in that circle, one of them will go down with me.

No. Nobody will go down with you. You will simply end up a bloody, broken mess, that is the reality you need to face.

You might give yourself a slight edge by getting out of the circle, controlling one of them with something like a neck crank, whilst convincing the rest that you are a psychopath.:cussing: But if you get out of the circle, your Parkour skills should be used first and foremost, so it's a moot point.
I feel like an idiot even writing about it. Multiple opponents = defeat. There's no point even thinking about it, violence is random, you can't plan for it, you can only learn to fight realistically. That 'drill' you're doing does not fall under this category.

MacWombat
8/21/2006 11:25pm,
I'd have to agree with Alex, here. I'd rather learn how to escape from that circle any way possible and then run away. However, I'd love to see a video of this drill (whether it be your school, or another group that accurately portrays what you do).