PDA

View Full Version : is this the walmart of mma

medtac
8/18/2006 2:33pm,
la boxing is moving into the woodlands (texas) wonder if any one has any expierence with them. By reading the website it looks like they may be the walmart of mma with the whole franchise issue. I hear they are bringing dave philips in to instruct and maybe pele here is the link http://www.laboxingwoodlands.com/

Omega Supreme
8/18/2006 2:51pm,
I had one of my guys go to LA boxing gym. Said they could care less about you, might as well join 24hour fitness.

sdave
8/18/2006 3:46pm,
I had one of my guys go to LA boxing gym. Said they could care less about you, might as well join 24hour fitness.

Maybe, but even IF 24Hour Fitness has Muay Thai or BJJ, they'd don't have fighters as skilled as Dave and Pele.

Omega Supreme
8/18/2006 3:50pm,
I'm just quoting what he said. I sorta said the same thing to him but he decided to go elsewhere.

sdave
8/18/2006 4:06pm,
Ya. I'm not a HUGE fan of chain gyms (though, I do have a 24Hr membership so I can workout all over Houston, D/FW et al).

I have to admit, this looks like a sweet deal. The most expensive membership this place offers (a month-to-month plan) is only $79/month! That's less than you might pay for some hole in the wall strip center with a blue belt teaching.

They have rates as low as $29/month (that's CHEAPER than some 24hr memberships) for 2 year prepay.

Apparently all these memberships give access to unlimited classes.

Considering the size and scope of their facility and the calibur of fighters they're courting, members should be getting their money's worth.

meataxe
8/18/2006 6:06pm,
Wal-Mart of MMA?

You mean their skills are abundant, cheap, and made in China?

1bad65
8/18/2006 6:30pm,
Dave Phillips is a great fighter and BJJ instructor. You can't go wrong if he is the BJJ guy there.

Omega Supreme
8/18/2006 6:51pm,
Actually the classes cost more.

sdave
8/18/2006 6:58pm,
Actually the classes cost more.

?

The pricing page says:

INCLUDES ALL USE OF GYM AND ALL CLASSES LISTED FOR BOXING/KICKBOXING/JIU JITSU

Their FAQ says they charge more for personal training:

If you want more advanced training in a one-on-one setting, our instructors can offer you personal training at a cost of $50 / hr. (We also have a personal training package).

They seem to imply throughout the rest of the site though that the classes are included. Maybe this is a different business model than the clubs near you?