PDA

View Full Version : College Clubs, Stony Brook University

Pages : [1] 2

GIJoe6186
8/13/2006 7:27pm,
I was browsing local colleges for martial arts clubs, hoping to score some free training and I found tons. These all take place at Stony Brook University, in Stony Brook, Long Island.

Wrestling Club : http://www.ic.sunysb.edu/Clubs/usbwrest/

Tae Kwon Do Club (WTF) : http://www.ic.sunysb.edu/Clubs/tkd/

Fencing Club : http://www.ic.sunysb.edu/Clubs/fencing/

San Shou Club : http://martial.homestead.com/Home.html

Kumdo Club : http://www.ic.sunysb.edu/Clubs/Kumdo/

Shotokan Club : http://www.ic.sunysb.edu/Clubs/karate/

Capoeira Cub : http://www.ic.sunysb.edu/Clubs/capoeira/

Aikido/Judo Club : http://www.ic.sunysb.edu/Clubs/aikido/gallery.htm

Goshin Ryu Aikijui-Jutsu : http://www.ic.sunysb.edu/Clubs/bushido/

Now which should I do? Id like to take one class a week in addition to my other training. Maybe Judo, San Shou or wrestling?

Ke?poFist
8/13/2006 7:56pm,
Go to the San Shou one, then give me a call and tell me how it is. I always wanted to take San Shou. I don't know why....perhaps it's to walk in the room and tell them that they are just doing Muay Thai with throws and see if they kick the crap out of me :)

BlackStalyon
8/13/2006 7:56pm,
My friends in Stoney, he said there was a MMA club, probably mixed that up with wrestling i guess.

GIJoe6186
8/13/2006 8:00pm,
MMA club, Ive heard of it but it remains elusive like a unicorn or staight ninja.

Could u send me an email or something? Id like to go there.

ChrisWTK
8/13/2006 8:07pm,
GIJoe, are you or going to be attending stony brook?

GIJoe6186
8/13/2006 8:09pm,
In a year I hope too. The clubs are open to anyone though.

ChrisWTK
8/13/2006 9:02pm,
Ok, I was wondering about that. I'm going to attend there this fall so it won't matter, but the one college I went to required that you atteded the school and it made it easier for them to charge you by using your student ID.

RaiNnyX4
8/13/2006 9:24pm,
Hahaha, I thought someday this would get brought up! The Aikido and Judo Club is actually run by me. Check the e-mail address of the President and my username on here and you'll see they're identical. I'm the brown belt (with and without dreadlocks...currently without) in the pictures.

The Wrestling, Shotokan, Capoeira, and Aiki-jujutsu clubs are all disbanded. The people at Stony Brook really suck at updating the clubs page! There is indeed an "MMA" club there as well and you can see what I've said about that club in the "Nerd-Fu" thread.

The San-Shou club isn't a real San-Shou club. It's just a few guys that do Kung-Fu. No real sparring or throwing or anything else you'd see in a real San-Shou club. Otherwise, I'd be doing that **** too!

The TKD club is...well, it's TKD!

The Kumdo club is actually pretty highly recognized on the Kumdo/Kendo circuit. They compete heavily and are ranked fairly high from what I know. The only thing is it's very Korea-centric. i.e. If you're not Korean...it's probably not going to be very fun for you if you know what I mean.

The Fencing club is about as dorky as you can get as far as clubs go on campus (with maybe the possible exceptions of the Archery and SCUBA clubs). Nothing against fencing just happens to be the people involved in the club on campus. Stony is a pretty dorky school to begin with though. Afterall, we have the largest Sci-Fi library on the East Coast and host I-CON!!!

I'm going into my senior year this Fall at Stony. So the club might only be around for two more semesters. We're going to try and form a competitive Judo team this year though. We've got the support of a black belt from Smithtown Judo http://www.smithtownjudo.com/ who said would try and come in and work with us when he can. If you want anymore info PM me and I'll let you know what I know. Oh and here's a clip of a demo we did last semester featuring myself being thrown by my girlfriend (she's the treasurer and has one more year left too). The guy doing all the talking is the one who offered to coach us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd6ihRDOcaQ

Ke?poFist
8/13/2006 9:34pm,
The San-Shou club isn't a real San-Shou club. It's just a few guys that do Kung-Fu. No real sparring or throwing or anything else you'd see in a real San-Shou club. Otherwise, I'd be doing that **** too!

****...then why the hell do they call it San Shou! Chinaphillic LARP Club would be a better title.

RaiNnyX4
8/13/2006 9:39pm,
****...then why the hell do they call it San Shou! Chinaphillic LARP Club would be a better title.

Yeah, pretty much. All I've ever seen them do is forms. Though pretty much everyone in the Aikido/Judo, San-Shou (they actually call it the "Martial Arts Club"), MMA, and TKD, clubs hangs out in the room on Friday together and just do whatever. So there's a good mixing and occasionally I think I have seen people from the MA Club do some light sparring. But nothing that would make me think it was San-Shou.

There's also a few guys there that do Muay Thai that I see occasionally.

Fitz
8/13/2006 9:47pm,
Find out who the Aikido CLub has connections with. Since they're talking Judo as well they may be associated with Professor Higashi who teaches Judo, Jujutsu and Tomiki Aikido for the USB Physical Education Department (great classes by the way). If they are great, go and have a good time. If not they might be worth a look anyway.

The Goshin Aikijujutsu guys are kind of BS but it used to attract a lot of ex-military types on campus which had the effect of forcing the group onto practical grounds over flashy nonsense. Adan, the guy who runs the group, is an interesting cat and worth talking to even if you don't train.

If you've ever considered doing Shotokan the folks at USB are the ones to do it with. They're lineage is to the top ranked man in the Western Hemisphere (and now retired Professor at USB) and they tend to be solid at what they do, even if what they do is Shotokan.

As for the other groups it looks like a mixed bag. Rather then joining the fencing club consider taking the one credit fencing class instead to see if it is for you. Also keep an eye out. There used to be lots of groups that were training when they could find time and space and weren't formally listed.

RaiNnyX4
8/13/2006 9:57pm,
Find out who the Aikido CLub has connections with. Since they're talking Judo as well they may be associated with Professor Higashi who teaches Judo, Jujutsu and Tomiki Aikido for the USB Physical Education Department (great classes by the way). If they are great, go and have a good time. If not they might be worth a look anyway.

The Goshin Aikijujutsu guys are kind of BS but it used to attract a lot of ex-military types on campus which had the effect of forcing the group onto practical grounds over flashy nonsense. Adan, the guy who runs the group, is an interesting cat and worth talking to even if you don't train.

If you've ever considered doing Shotokan the folks at USB are the ones to do it with. They're lineage is to the top ranked man in the Western Hemisphere (and now retired Professor at USB) and they tend to be solid at what they do, even if what they do is Shotokan.

As for the other groups it looks like a mixed bag. Rather then joining the fencing club consider taking the one credit fencing class instead to see if it is for you. Also keep an eye out. There used to be lots of groups that were training when they could find time and space and weren't formally listed.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh Fitz! You must have missed my posts. I run the Aikido and Judo Club. I have no connection to Higashi Sensei other than taking his "Self-Defense" class one semester. Sadly, Higashi and the guy who ran Karate on campus were laid off a couple of years ago (God, I hate Stony Brook). Higashi was a great guy and I was sad to see him leave. He really liked me too! Probably because I was the only person who knew who he was and gave him lots of respect as opposed to all the asses in that class.

GIJoe6186
8/13/2006 10:28pm,
Ok, thanks Rainyx4, I am definitley interested in the Judo club but not the Aikido. Is the schedule on the club page up to date? Do you guys take non-USB people? Is there any price? (Im under the impression the answer is no to both since its a college club).

Also, you guys keep mentioning the MMA club. Can someone please tell me how to contact them? Are they the Blue Blets from Kioto Ive heard about?

Thancks, I realy wanna get into the clubs at SB, because they have alot of stuff it seems for crosstraining and good facilities.

RaiNnyX4
8/13/2006 10:50pm,
Ok, thanks Rainyx4, I am definitley interested in the Judo club but not the Aikido. Is the schedule on the club page up to date? Do you guys take non-USB people? Is there any price? (Im under the impression the answer is no to both since its a college club).

Also, you guys keep mentioning the MMA club. Can someone please tell me how to contact them? Are they the Blue Blets from Kioto Ive heard about?

Thancks, I realy wanna get into the clubs at SB, because they have alot of stuff it seems for crosstraining and good facilities.

There's no price and I don't care if you're a student or not. The only problem is they check IDs at the sports complex. So you'll have to pay to enter (I don't know how much it costs). The schedule will be the same for next semester with the exception of Tuesday night which will be at 8pm instead of 7pm. I'm actually considering making all the nights Aikido and Judo so you can come in and work on whatever you want. I'm actually sick of the way Aikido is traditionally taught and am going to teach it more like Judo (instead of having the whole class working on the same thing have everyone work on whatever they want).

I'm not sure what you're talking about with "Blue Belts from Kioto". Basically the MMA club is pretty disorganized. It's getting better though. It was pretty much just a bunch of guys with some level of proficiency in various arts that were too obsessed with UFC. Most of the guys were actually Kung-Fu and TKD guys with a couple of them also being ex-HS wrestlers. There was lots of screwing around and not much actual training for a while. But there's some student who comes in and teaches them Jiu-jitsu now so it's a lot more focused (but still lots of dicking around). So maybe that's who you're talking about with the "Blue Belt" thing. I've rolled with a few of them and they were decent at JJ by the end of the semester (at least the ex-wrestlers were). Though I usually just practice my Judo instead of working out with them.

One thing I should let you know though. I'm only 4th-kyu in Judo (orange belt) so don't be expecting me to be an awesome Judoka. I only teach and work on what I know. But I would be happy to work out with you. There's a couple of people on campus that I know of that are a lot more experienced than me but aren't ever there. One girl is a national champ who always says she's going to come but never does. Apparently she'd rather smoke pot and listen to Dave Matthews Band than work out. And the other guy is a Grad-student who actually came by once. He's a brown belt in Judo and has been doing BJJ for five years. HE WAS GOOD. I actually learned a lot from him in one day. He e-mailed me a few times over the summer apologizing for showing up only once and was hoping some people from the club would still be around for the summer to work out. He said he'd definitely try to come around more next semester. If one of those two people become more involved I'll definitely turn over the Judo instruction to them.

EDIT: The MMA guys would work out on Monday and Wednesday nights. Not sure what time but probably around 7-9pm. Fridays was a free-for-all as no one had the room reserved. People were in there usually starting from like 3pm till whenever. I'd usually go from 4-6pm. There's no reason to contact anyone from the MMA club. Like I said, it's pretty disorganized. If you just show up with your workout clothes and say "what's up?" you're fine. If you're going to come by just send me a message. I'll be there starting September.

Ke?poFist
8/13/2006 11:07pm,
Rainny, I may be able to make your meet on Teusday, but out of curiousity does anyone else in your group train in Aikido/Judo, or are you the only one/highest rank there? I personally don't care about rank or official training, but rather am just seeking new training partners. Also, I'm planning (now that I'm healed up for the most part) to try and get my fight night group back togethor. Last time we officially had it we had 6-7 guys, and I want to get everyone back and hopefully some new blood in the room with different levels of expertise.

I myself am a 2nd degree Kempo black belt, and I've been training (on and off due to my arm) in BJJ for a little over 6 months, and I feel I have a solid grasp on boxing/kickboxing basics and technique although I really really need some experienced guys to spar with and correct me properly when going live.

RaiNnyX4
8/13/2006 11:20pm,
Rainny, I may be able to make your meet on Teusday, but out of curiousity does anyone else in your group train in Aikido/Judo, or are you the only one/highest rank there? I personally don't care about rank or official training, but rather am just seeking new training partners. Also, I'm planning (now that I'm healed up for the most part) to try and get my fight night group back togethor. Last time we officially had it we had 6-7 guys, and I want to get everyone back and hopefully some new blood in the room with different levels of expertise.

I myself am a 2nd degree Kempo black belt, and I've been training (on and off due to my arm) in BJJ for a little over 6 months, and I feel I have a solid grasp on boxing/kickboxing basics and technique although I really really need some experienced guys to spar with and correct me properly when going live.

The VP for the club had just taken his test for 2nd-kyu in Aikido at the end of the semester. But he's studying abroad next semester so he won't be around. The Secretary also trained in Aikido before coming to Stony (4th-kyu) I believe. I was really the only one with any Judo experience except for the one guy I mentioned. But pretty much everyone in the club trained with me in both arts. We had about 10 committed members with usually about 4-6 of us training together at any one time. Attendance is always pretty erratic. Sometimes there would be lots of people...sometimes just two of us.

I'm willing to work out with anyone but I want to keep the nights I have reserved for just for Aikido and Judo. You and your friends would probably be more interested in the MMA club. Like I said, it's not a true MMA club. They don't really have a focus. It's just a bunch guys doing what they do for the most part. The room is pretty much vacant on the weekends too if you're interesed.