PDA

View Full Version : Pride 1-5

Pages : [1] 2

MacWombat
8/13/2006 12:54pm,
I wanted to get more into Pride as I love UFC. I went to Best Buy yesterday and saw a compilation of the first five Pride events for 22 bucks. So, I bought it. I watched the first Pride and a little of the second. So far, I have been dissapointed. Most of the fights have been boring. I'm not biased agaisnt grappling (as I do BJJ and find grappling interesting), but there seemed to be a lot of waiting around and very little striking. I was wondering (and hoping) that the rest of the five events are good. Any insight? Should I buy Volume 2 (it has Pride 6-9 and 11, but not 10 for some reason)?

Thanks

Robstafarian
8/13/2006 3:33pm,
I can't answer your question, but I've been thinking about getting the same DVDs and I thought I'd turn you on to my DVD connection. Using their search function, you can easily go down the massive list of Pride releases: DVD Empire (http://www.dvdempire.com)

MacWombat
8/13/2006 3:48pm,
This site is actually more expensive than bestbuy (by 2 dollars). Also, I had/have bestbuy gift certificates, so that's really the only reason I go there. I'm just hoping that the fights get better. Also, the commentary is bland. Forgive me for liking Joe Rogan's style, but it's entertaining.

Robstafarian
8/13/2006 5:31pm,
Sorry, I can't forgive you for that. I prefer the original Japanese commentary for Pride. I don't speak Japanese, so all that comes through is their comic enthusiasm...it's great. :hello2:

MacWombat
8/13/2006 6:10pm,
Yeah I agree. If either one of the fighters does anything at all they erupt with a ridiculous amount of yelling in japanese. It's pretty impressive that they can yell so loud and so fast.

Poop Loops
8/13/2006 8:02pm,
Sorry, I can't forgive you for that. I prefer the original Japanese commentary for Pride. I don't speak Japanese, so all that comes through is their comic enthusiasm...it's great. :hello2:

SUGOI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

supercrap
8/13/2006 11:19pm,
The first DVDs are awesome. If you didn't realise that then maybe you shouldn't be watching pride at all!

Granted they aren't as smooth production wise, or as consistently great as today's shows, but man, hello, Sakuraba, Rickson, Vovchanchyn, Kerr, etc. all doing their thing...

Soy Sauce Ninja
8/14/2006 12:12am,
You should definitely get volume two. They get better after the first couple. I prefer Pride over UFC because it seems like there is more striking and fighters are penalized for stalling.

MacWombat
8/14/2006 12:22am,
You should definitely get volume two. They get better after the first couple. I prefer Pride over UFC because it seems like there is more striking and fighters are penalized for stalling.

Yea, good to hear. They didn't penalize at all for the massive amounts of stalling in Pride 1 or 2 so far. I just watched the Renzo fight of 2, 50 minutes of a guy laying on him. It made the Royce/Shamrock fight look interesting. And yea, the production values are a little annoying. I also would've liked them to show the whole event, rather than just the individual fights. I find it more exciting that way.

"The first DVDs are awesome. If you didn't realise that then maybe you shouldn't be watching pride at all!"

They should hire you for marketing.

Don Gwinn
8/14/2006 12:40am,
There are one or two really slow matches on those shows. He's not making it up or anything; Bas and Quadros actually trade quips about how boring a couple of the matches are for several minutes.

But there's some CLASSIC stuff on there too!

MacWombat
8/14/2006 7:12am,
Yeah, in the Renzo match I just watched Bas was saying how they should start telling jokes since the match was so boring. Furthermore, the fights that have involved two grapplers seem to follow some code against any striking at all. There was hardly any striking for Sakuraba vs White.

Edit: Can anybody tell me why 10 isn't in Volume 2?

Draven
8/14/2006 7:29am,
Obviously the new shows are ten times better, MMA has evolved a lot since that time. Try getting Pride Bushido: The Tournament. Thats the best MMA show ever, it has more great fights than the last 10 UFCs combined.

capoeirista
8/14/2006 9:05am,
Pride 10 is one of thier highest selling dvd's, it had 1 decision on the card and the rest are TKO or Subs. You can find it at amazon I'd look to see if they had it used may save you a few bucks. I may need to by the DVD's I have all these on stupid VHS from when I got the PPV.

The Fight card had like the whos who in MMA. I'm a fan of Pride and the UFC I think Pride has the slight edge simply because strikers are allowed to strike even a downed opponent. Don't let the First tape put a sour taste in your mouth, they get better as the sport evolves.

Zing!
8/14/2006 3:31pm,
The first disc can get kind of boring because they didn't have the rules down yet. But there are still some great fights on each of those DVDs. Saku versus Carlos Newton on Pride 3 is one of my favorites.

The other sets are definetly worth it.

MacWombat
8/14/2006 8:15pm,
I just watched 3. Overall it was pretty good and I too liked the Newton Sakuraba fight. Thanks

supercrap
8/14/2006 10:58pm,
MacWombat, sorry, was having a bit of a Hannibal day.

I remember now, there are some real snorers on there, and a couple of freakshows.

Slices of history though.

Pride 10 is really, really, great, well worth tracking down.