PDA

View Full Version : I'm a little lost here...

pernicious
8/13/2006 12:33am,
I have absolutely no MA experience at all... In fact, I'm still getting the hang of all these acronyms. But I've been doing quite a bit of research and am really confussed by conflicting information. I am going to take classes in some kind of MA I just don't know which one. Please help me! Let me add that I have a lot more trust in you all (the true "practitioners" of martial arts) than some bleak advertising campaign.

First of all... I have been looking at Krav Maga and it seems like almost everyone here hates it! The impression I get, though, is that it is ONLY because it has been wattered down here in the USA. Is the original, 'true' version any good, or is it all just a bunch of BS? Of course, everything ELSE that I've read online says it is one of the most effective forms of self defense.

The other MA that I have heard the most support for is BJJ. Everyone seems to think it is the greatest thing ever made! Can someone provide me with some CONCRETE evidence as to why it is so amazingly good?

The MAIN thing that I get from all these posts that I have read is that TKD sucks, and everyone supports the MA that they participate in; to them, anything other than what they study sucks! So... I can't discern the facts from the other unfounded stuff.

Anyways... If you can help recommend something to me that would be great. I should also let you know that I don't have any interest in competing in any competitions (no time!) and I originally BEGAN looking into MA after thinking that I wanted something different than the typicall "work out" in a traditional gym.

Thanks!

PS: I don't know if this is appropriate to post anywhere else... But I figured nobody would be pissed if I posted here lol.

RunningDog
8/13/2006 12:40am,
Learn a grappling art and a striking art. Go to the class and make sure they are not LARPing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LARP).
Forum users here may well threaten to rape and kill you, this is normal, and these threats are normally accompanied with good advice.

Speaking from experience, I do a striking art called Wing Tsun, but as you will discover using the search function, it's generally taught badly, so I'd give it a miss.
BJJ is good but is limited in range - your training is almost exclusively rolling around on the ground. Consider Judo, it's got cool throws.

Edit: post your location, someone's bound to know of a good class nearby.

GIJoe6186
8/13/2006 12:58am,
People here prefer the following :

BJJ, MT, Judo, Boxing, Kickboxing, Wrestling and Kyokushin because they all have a huge emphasis on sparring.

Krav is for military LARPers.

Ke?poFist
8/13/2006 1:14am,
I have absolutely no MA experience at all... In fact, I'm still getting the hang of all these acronyms. But I've been doing quite a bit of research and am really confussed by conflicting information. I am going to take classes in some kind of MA I just don't know which one. Please help me! Let me add that I have a lot more trust in you all (the true "practitioners" of martial arts) than some bleak advertising campaign.

I wouldn't call those here the true practicioners, but rather the jaded the bitter and of course the nutriders :)

First of all... I have been looking at Krav Maga and it seems like almost everyone here hates it! The impression I get, though, is that it is ONLY because it has been wattered down here in the USA. Is the original, 'true' version any good, or is it all just a bunch of BS? Of course, everything ELSE that I've read online says it is one of the most effective forms of self defense.

I have no real issue with Krav Maga, but the biggest issue isn't the watering down but rather the emphasis of "alive" training. Search for on here or on google for Matt Thornton and aliveness. There's a video on google video and on youtube that explains it nicely, but essentially aliveness is the factor that seperates good schools (for self defense/fighting purposes) from bad ones. Some Krav schools got it, most don't.

The other MA that I have heard the most support for is BJJ. Everyone seems to think it is the greatest thing ever made! Can someone provide me with some CONCRETE evidence as to why it is so amazingly good?

BJJ gets so much praise because of it's sheer effectiveness. It is limited in tools, but brutally effective nonetheless. It's training methodology is also 100% "live" all of the time, which greatly helps your learning curve, as opposed to other arts which could take years to become proficient in (if ever!).

The MAIN thing that I get from all these posts that I have read is that TKD sucks, and everyone supports the MA that they participate in; to them, anything other than what they study sucks! So... I can't discern the facts from the other unfounded stuff.

Nuthuggery runs rampant yes. In time and with training it will become clearer who's saying what. I train and teach Kempo, yet I will be the first to say that for the most part the material and curriculum of the style sucks yet the theories and concepts involved I greatly appreciate and I've worked hard recently to reform my school, but thats for another thread.

Anyways... If you can help recommend something to me that would be great. I should also let you know that I don't have any interest in competing in any competitions (no time!) and I originally BEGAN looking into MA after thinking that I wanted something different than the typicall "work out" in a traditional gym.

BJJ will give you a great workout, and some solid skills to use on nearly anybody as long as they teach you some standup grappling and basic takedowns. If you don't want to roll around on the ground with another guy, then I'd recommend finding a local mixed kickboxing gym and work on that. Great cardio, and again very solid skills that translate to self defense purposes very quickly...plus it's fun! :)

Good luck.

Thanks!

PS: I don't know if this is appropriate to post anywhere else... But I figured nobody would be pissed if I posted here lol.[/QUOTE]

bob
8/13/2006 1:31am,
Pernicious, you don't really say what you want to do a MA for, apart from not wanting to compete and wanting to do something different to the average gym workout.

If that's your only criteria then you should do whatever you enjoy (as long as you have no illusions that you're a badass).

If your looking for something effective then find a school which spars (or grapples or rolls) regularly with plenty of resistance and a not too restrictive rule set. Don't be afraid to ask instructors to prove the effectiveness of their style - look through the forums for ways to do this. Be wary of anyone who gives themself mystical airs. If you want to be really effective cross train in a couple of different styles (a striking and grappling style is generally the best).

And lastly, understand that properly learning a martial art means that you will get hurt and you will get injured. Think hard about whether that's for you before you start.

Oh and Omega....never mind, you'll see.

Red Elvis
8/13/2006 1:44am,
Oh and Omega....never mind, you'll see.

Ohhh come on and tell him. Omega is the resident greeter and is a sweetheart. Such a kind and gentle admin who will take you through your first several weeks here at Bullshido. Just wait and you'll see!

:5propelle

chaosexmachina
8/13/2006 2:06am,
Don't listen to the BJJ nutriders. MMA is the way to go! ;)

Poop Loops
8/13/2006 2:12am,
Yeah, if you don't know what you want to do, just do MMA. It's a bit of everything. If you end up liking one portion of it over the other, you can just focus on that at some other school. Most likely though, you'll fall in love with it and just keep doing it.

pauli
8/13/2006 8:01am,
The other MA that I have heard the most support for is BJJ. Everyone seems to think it is the greatest thing ever made! Can someone provide me with some CONCRETE evidence as to why it is so amazingly good?the reason people here sing the praises of bjj and the rest of the list gijoe mentioned is that everything they teach works against a fully resisting opponent. this is a direct consequence on the competitive nature of these arts - they're all fighting sports (well, i guess i'd have a hard time calling kk a sport, but still). if you study one of these, your chances of being taught bullshit are virtually nil. your chances of not being driven into the ground with exhaustion on a regular basis are also virtually nil - which is exactly what you need if you're using training as your primary workout.