PDA

View Full Version : BJJ USA...Wins again?

Pages : [1] 2

Kokujin
8/11/2006 9:24pm,
After a particulary tough training night, while indulging in the addictive power drink, the subject of jiu jitsu around the world, great champions, etc, rose it's ugly head once again.
Being that me and so many of my peers( white belt newbies) are still on a so called "impressionable" phase of the jiu jitsu process, it's not that hard to see us around class with that "wow!" type of face, at the sight of a a new reversal or exotic passing of the guard...but I'm losing myself here.
So I started a conversation with a couple of black belt instructors and I kind of mentioned the Bullshido site and the fact that I read and talk(i guess) to a lot of bjj students in the US and Canada. They imediatly expressed their projects of eventually teaching class in the US and make some money out of it. My instructor even said that at the rate that brazilian instructors are flocking to the US, american bjj will be a great power in the future, even surpassing Brazil and stuff. When asked why he answered that it's all a matter of money and the competitiveness of the americans.
That concept made me think, so I'm asking you people...will Brazil ever loose their grip in jiu jitsu the same way Japan lost to all their forms of Budo? Like Korea lost TKD? And so on, so on? If so, why? :waoya

fanatical
8/11/2006 9:32pm,
When did these countries LOSE anything. They GAVE us this stuff. This is a completely retarted mindset.

Odacon
8/12/2006 6:09am,
Japan and Korea loses, thats why they slaughter everyone at the olympics, because the lost to their own stuff. You're a fucking disgrace.

Gezere
8/12/2006 7:47am,
Don't be too hard on him.

However, Kokujin, they are right. Japan and Korea haven't lost anything. The reigning champs in Judo are mostly Japanese. Same with TKD. Therefore I don't think Brazil will lose anything in the JJ front but they will have feircer competition than they are used to.

fanatical
8/12/2006 7:50am,
In turn this competition, like all competition will in effect raise the level of skill overall once again.

Trubble
8/12/2006 8:48am,
i love it how we americans think they can be taught things and somehow make it "better" and add the name "american" infront of everything: american tkd, american jj, american judo, american kempo karate... what's next? american mauy thai, american sambo, american kung fu...

CanucKyokushin
8/12/2006 9:01am,
So I started a conversation with a couple of black belt instructors and I kind of mentioned the Bullshido site and the fact that I read and talk(i guess) to a lot of bjj students in the US and Canada. They imediatly expressed their projects of eventually teaching class in the US and make some money out of it. My instructor even said that at the rate that brazilian instructors are flocking to the US, american bjj will be a great power in the future, even surpassing Brazil and stuff. When asked why he answered that it's all a matter of money and the competitiveness of the americans. That concept made me think, so I'm asking you people...will Brazil ever loose their grip in jiu jitsu the same way Japan lost to all their forms of Budo? Like Korea lost TKD? And so on, so on? If so, why? :waoyaWhether you noticed it or not but you came up with some points right there regarding instructors teaching BJJ and making money off of it.While I understand completely that many people live in a very difficult conditions in Brazil.I doubt we can excuse we can give to BJJ instructors ,purple and up,if they have reached that rank already must live better than most brazilians.Quite frankly.

BJJ instructors going to america, the land where money grows on trees and all, should be indicative of their expectations.A house with pool and a BMW in the drive way and a white wife.But hey if you guys think that it's cool to see your instructor drive up to the school in a pimped out ride.Than fine I won't say anything more.

I'm sure the same thing happened in the 70's and 80's with Korean instructor flying to the US to open Dojangs and teach stupid white people's kids the art of fighting.

supercrap
8/12/2006 9:03am,
Everyone I've ever spoken to who went to Brazil to train says it's on a whole different level. Brazil will always be the spiritual home of BJJ and the Brazilians will always kick ass.

Just like the Japanese kick ass in Judo and basically what everyone else said. Darn. Best bet is for your instructors to go to America and pretend to be Brazilian (instant respect.)

plasma
8/12/2006 9:11am,
Best bet is for your instructors to go to America and pretend to be Brazilian (instant respect.)

Most American's couldn't tell the difference between an Portugese and a Brazilian, go for it.

Teh El Macho
8/12/2006 9:28am,
Whether you noticed it or not but you came up with some points right there regarding instructors teaching BJJ and making money off of it.While I understand completely that many people live in a very difficult conditions in Brazil.I doubt we can excuse we can give to BJJ instructors ,purple and up,if they have reached that rank already must live better than most brazilians.Quite frankly.

YEP!!! :biblethum

Gezere
8/12/2006 10:28am,
i love it how we americans think they can be taught things and somehow make it "better" and add the name "american" infront of everything: american tkd, american jj, american judo, american kempo karate... what's next? american mauy thai, american sambo, american kung fu...

Americans are not the only ones guilty of this. I've encountered the same thing in other countries.

Poop Loops
8/12/2006 2:07pm,
Well... Japan is actually successful in doing those things.

Sokaku
8/12/2006 9:03pm,
If I lived in the U.S.A. I would practice American Chinese Kenpo Karate. (http://www.ackks.com/index.html)

FamineDynasty
8/12/2006 10:11pm,
Our nationalist superiority shall make us prevail, both in regards to BJJ and all other things. Besides, **** the Gracies and all them with their R names that sound like H's. As americans, that doesn't appeal to us. As Americans, that is a moral outrage that we need to put an end to with our own sweat-- like Hitler or the global threat of Soviet communism. And so, with our superior military industrial complex we shall seize that which is useful to us from the Brazillians and destroy that which inconveniences us. That is the way it has always been.

Kokujin
8/12/2006 10:16pm,
When did these countries LOSE anything. They GAVE us this stuff. This is a completely retarted mindset.

When I talk about "loosing", I mean the concept of several other countries achieving competitive talent in a sport or martial art practice not originally created in those same countries.. I'm not talking about americans, french or whatever going to japan and teaching judo to save the art , or spanish being hired by the korean goverment to save a dying practice.
When I say lose, I mean the way that we have shifted from a world monopoly of the game to a situation where we might actually find three non japanese/korean/etc competitors on the podium colecting the medals. That's the "retarted mindset" I'm trying to explain, Mr Bear. Nothing so dramatical...so maybe I will google more next time!

Kokujin
8/12/2006 10:32pm,
Whether you noticed it or not but you came up with some points right there regarding instructors teaching BJJ and making money off of it.While I understand completely that many people live in a very difficult conditions in Brazil.I doubt we can excuse we can give to BJJ instructors ,purple and up,if they have reached that rank already must live better than most brazilians.Quite frankly.

BJJ instructors going to america, the land where money grows on trees and all, should be indicative of their expectations.A house with pool and a BMW in the drive way and a white wife.But hey if you guys think that it's cool to see your instructor drive up to the school in a pimped out ride.Than fine I won't say anything more.

I'm sure the same thing happened in the 70's and 80's with Korean instructor flying to the US to open Dojangs and teach stupid white people's kids the art of fighting.

You've got a point...maybe I should have gone with that thread and got better results.
But it's funny...every instructor that I know, living here in Portugal or across Europe have a certain drive to reach the US, because they seem it as the land of honey and money. For instance, a lot of instructors teaching bjj in Portugal have second jobs..let me correct that, they have day jobs and teach bjj as an auxiliar source of income and some do it out of pure fullfilment and "spreading the art" type of spirit. The way I see it. you just can't make that much money in here by teaching martial arts. Any martial arts...but that's the way I see it, it doesn't mean anything.
Most use portugal as a springboard to reach any country in the EC, the pays are bigger then Brazil in comparison( so I have been told), we have the same language( more or less) and many brazilians can actually request portuguese nationality trough their parents or grandparents. That's why we have the largest brazilian community outside Brazil, if you believe the latest figures from our Imigration Service.
So they eventually go to the US and teach bjj, some better then others (same situation here) and charge whatever they feel will make them achieve financial security ( the BMW and the american wife to be an american eventually).
:occasion1