PDA

View Full Version : Advice on where to start please

Blade Edge
8/10/2006 7:22pm,
Hello everyone this is my first post on Bullshido

I'm just another teenager with an interest in martial arts
I'm doing TKD (red belt) and it looks like a lot of you did TKD when you were my age looking at this post (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36318&highlight=Kwon). I'm going to keep on going in TKD because even though many people here says it sucks, after watching the fight with David "The Crow" Loiseau (TKD Blackbelt and other styles) vs. Charles McCarthy his opinion is that TKD helps a lot. Also because I'm required to teach and teaching little kids looks good on a college application.
So after reading all the stuff about why TKD sucks I want to now train in grappling, but I need your guys's opinion. Should I do wrestling at my high school for free, or should I take Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and pay for classes. I'm leaning toward taking wrestling at my high school, but I want to know what people here think.

I found 2 studios that teach BJJ and have a website and I ask your opinion
http://www.claudiofrancabjj.com/instructors.htm
http://charlesgracie.com/academy-cruz.htm

Anybody know anything about Kajukenbo, there's a school around here but I wonder if I should waste my time going to check it out.

Also, if anybody knows of a good studio/dojo near Santa Cruz (I live in Watsonville) where I can train in a good striking style (Maybe MT, VT, Kyokushin) I'd appreciate it if they told me.

pauli
8/10/2006 8:32pm,
you're in high school. wrestle. the great god helio's floating disembodied head could be hanging out in your garage offering to teach you, and this forum would still tell you to wrestle. once you're out of high school/college, move on to bjj. get those basics from wrestling that all the rest of us notice from new students with wrestling backgrounds.

you can always take bjj. high school wrestling is once in a lifetime.

sdave
8/10/2006 8:41pm,
Wrestle.

Torakaka
8/10/2006 8:53pm,
David Loiseau doesn't actively train in TKD. He does a spinning back kick from TKD, that's it. Quit TKD and take up some sort of kickboxing and keep practicing your spinning back if you so desire.

Southpaw
8/10/2006 9:45pm,
Wrestle.

alex
8/10/2006 9:48pm,
wrestle. also stop doing tkd and do a real standup art. you arent david louiseau.

Scrapper
8/10/2006 10:17pm,
Wrestlers consistantly have the best grappling fundamentals when they come to Crawford's. It pisses me off because I squandered my high school wrestling years. Even if you are the shittiest wrestler on the team, you will be able to kick your TKD sensei's ass after one season of wrestling.

Take the advice of an old man on this. Enjoy the cost free grappling opportunity right in front of you. You will not regret it.

Wrestle.

Neildo
8/10/2006 10:27pm,
This thread should be stickied in Newbietown.

Oh, and Wrestle.

Zevi Saikou
8/10/2006 10:51pm,
Ay, I say wrestle. I'd shoot any number of puppies for my school to have a wrestling team.

jnp
8/10/2006 11:53pm,
Wrestle, but make some friends and sneak into a Bjj class once in a while.

Trubble
8/12/2006 8:34am,
do taekwondo, it KICKS ass ... lol... yeah, i agree with everyone else, wrestle

MacWombat
8/12/2006 11:39am,
I take BJJ and am a year out of high school. God I wish I could go back and take wrestling. Seriously, don't listen to the people telling you to stop taking TKD if you are teaching kids. That really does look good for college. Just know that it's a college aid at that point and not a way to fight.