PDA

View Full Version : To all those from ATL...

Pages : [1] 2

OuchOuchOuch
8/09/2006 11:57pm,
I found the old post concerning Khunpon from velocity vs. Manu at Alliance and who trains better fighters, but it really didn't help me decide one way or the other so here I am.

I'm trying to decide between taking MT classes at either velocity with Khunpon or Manu at Alliance and I can't seem to make up my mind. From reading the various posts about these schools, it seems like there is a great bias against velocity, but I'm thinking that's because majority of people here train at Alliance.

Anyway, apparently I can take both BJJ and MT at velocity for 69 dollars a month and at Alliance it's going to cost me 180 dollars. Financially speaking, velocity obviously is the better deal. HOWEVER, I'm a firm believer in you get what you paid for. So, I have no problem paying the extra money if I knew that the training I'd be getting is far superior over the other school. In terms of BJJ training, I'm sold, but in terms of MT, I'm not sure yet.

Anyone have any experiences with either Manu and/or Khunpon in terms of how they are at teaching a complete "newbie" into the world of MT?

Thanks!

SchwrzSnn
8/10/2006 12:07am,
I currently train at Velocity (Knuckle Up) and have no complaints. Both should offer a free trial period, so check them out and see which one suits you.

mrblackmagic
8/10/2006 12:08am,
Which Velocity? Excuse me, I mean where is it located.

OuchOuchOuch
8/10/2006 12:13am,

Do you guys train at the one either at Midtown or Sandy Spring? I noticed the one in Kennesaw has a different MT coach. Have you guys had any experience with Khunpon and if you don't mind me asking, what are the classes like?

SchwrzSnn
8/10/2006 12:14am,
Originally Posted by mrblackmagic
Mostly the one in Kennesaw, but I get out to Atlanta every so often. Supposedly they're building a new one in Canton, which would suit me just fine.

mrblackmagic
8/10/2006 12:17am,
My bro used to do the one Midtown. He had nothing except accolades.

Are you trying to compete or you are just looking to train?

OuchOuchOuch
8/10/2006 12:30am,
For now, I'd just like to train. Learn the different techniques and so on. My primary focus is to get in shape and learn to protect my ass. However, I'd be lying if I were to say that I'd NEVER be interested in competing. But for now, though, I'd like to find a great instructor and just learn before I think about competition or anything of that nature.

mrblackmagic
8/10/2006 12:50am,
Let some people who have trained with Manu weigh in.

mrblackmagic
8/10/2006 7:33pm,
Since nobody wants to help.

Both of them would get in shape, but I think Alliance would train you to fight better.

Torakaka
8/10/2006 8:11pm,
I here a LOT of complaints from current and former students about Velocity. They have nicer facilities at Velocity, but as I understand it, the trainers there are much less experienced and there's a lot of talk about them being fairly shady. I also believe Khunpon is a former student of Manu's.

I train with Manu, who I like training with quite a bit. For fight training he's fantastic and puts a LOT of effort into getting his fighters ready for competition, though I would say he kind of lacks in teaching the basics to people just starting out. The fundamentals are taught, but he doesn't spend a lot of time focusing on correcting the technique of all the new people. On the "extra" days (days that aren't schedules classes, but students can come in for some extra training time) there are generally few people there and you get a lot more personal attention from Manu (tuesday, thursday, and saturdays).

Of course the best part is you get to train with me and Kat.

Torakaka
8/10/2006 8:33pm,
actually, please go to that school. Alliance is fucking crowded enough as it is, we don't need more noobs to trip over.

Lazy8s
9/04/2006 10:36am,
Ouch, you ever decide where to go? Which did you like better? I'm going to have to be making the same decision around december.

Thai King
1/17/2007 12:43am,
If your looking for the best person to train under for Muay Thai it is hands down Khunpon. Khunpon trains the traditional Thailandish Muay Thai style. The fact of the matter is that Muay Thai originated in Thailand and Khunpon is originally from Thailand, therefore he has the upper advantage of teaching because of the resources that were available to him and that are still available to him. Yeah, he may not have a string of great fighters under his belt but that is really irrelevant. Great fighters are born not made. You can teach anyone how to fight but great fighters are a dime a dozen, almost like lawyers. He is by far the best teacher I have encountered in the Mixed Martial arts world, and is willing to work with any skill level. Most people don't realize that Thai boxing was originated by the Thai people. If you have a teacher from South Africa it makes no sense to train under him because you are not training under the traditional Muay Thai system. All bullshit asside would you rather train under someone where the art was created and used for killing purposes? Or would you rather train under someone who isn't from the region, and made up their own personal Muay Thai style to train people.

Torakaka
1/17/2007 12:57am,
humm... Manu was trained by "Golden Leg" Pud Pad Noi Warrawut, one of the greatest thai boxers of all time. Manu fought in Lumpinee stadium and ko'd thai opponents with both right and left leg kicks to the head. Manu has a very traditionally thai style of muay thai.

I don't really know anything about who Khunpon has trained, but Manu has trained Rick Roufus, Trisha "TNT" Hill (currently ranked #1 in the world in women's muay thai), Rob "Razor" McCullough... Khunpon even trained with Manu when he first came to the US. Also, Manu isn't from "south Africa", he's from Cameroon dummy (and is in fact cousin to Danny Bille).

Not to take anything away from Khunpon, as I'm sure he's a great trainer aswell, but Manu is a fantastic trainer and is a badass himself.

Anna Kovacs
1/17/2007 12:58am,
Train with Kat Johnson. Manu thinks she's so badass he encourages her to charge 40-60 bucks an hour to hold pads.

King Sleepless
1/17/2007 1:03am,
If your looking for the best person to train under for Muay Thai it is hands down Khunpon. Khunpon trains the traditional Thailandish Muay Thai style. The fact of the matter is that Muay Thai originated in Thailand and Khunpon is originally from Thailand, therefore he has the upper advantage of teaching because of the resources that were available to him and that are still available to him. Yeah, he may not have a string of great fighters under his belt but that is really irrelevant. Great fighters are born not made. You can teach anyone how to fight but great fighters are a dime a dozen, almost like lawyers. He is by far the best teacher I have encountered in the Mixed Martial arts world, and is willing to work with any skill level. Most people don't realize that Thai boxing was originated by the Thai people. If you have a teacher from South Africa it makes no sense to train under him because you are not training under the traditional Muay Thai system. All bullshit asside would you rather train under someone where the art was created and used for killing purposes? Or would you rather train under someone who isn't from the region, and made up their own personal Muay Thai style to train people.

Can I request this thread be moved to YMAS just so this post can be dealt with?