PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs advice on technique choice

Daley
8/03/2006 1:36pm,
Hi this is my first post here so hopefully I won't cover old ground or annoy anyone, I realise that forums can become minefields once people get sick of dumb posts and repetition. (If I fall into that category I apologise in advance)

Basically in the last few months I have been getting into the world of MMA more and more but only as a fan. I used to do karate when i was about 8 years old. I only did it for around 18months and got up to purple belt but at the time it was the most fun I'd ever had. Now however I'm finding myself increasingly fascinated with the tactical elements and skills involved in grappling and would like to do some myself. So this is my question;
In the knowledgable eyes of the BS members what would you advise me to study?
I'm currently torn between; Ju Jitsu, Judo (but preferably either) Brazilian Ju Jistu or some variation on catch wrestling.

So as a newbie and a novice I'm asking for reasoned discussions, opinions and advice if you don't mind.

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramble,
Daley

Ronin.74
8/03/2006 1:39pm,
Welcome to the forum, you should have probably posted this in Newbie town for your own benefit. I would recommend Judo or BJJ.

Daley
8/03/2006 1:48pm,
Thanks for that.
I just thought I'd make the point that I didn't post this in the newbie section as I felt a lot of people there might be as clueless as me (no offence intended) I just thought I'd get a better more useful response here.

Yrkoon9
8/03/2006 2:19pm,
I guess it would all depend on your goals and the facilities availible to you, huh?

jnp
8/03/2006 2:22pm,
Thanks for that.
I just thought I'd make the point that I didn't post this in the newbie section as I felt a lot of people there might be as clueless as me (no offence intended) I just thought I'd get a better more useful response here.
Newbietown is a flame free zone where new members receive input from more experienced members. In other words, exactly what you were looking for. Now you've made me go and dangle my preposition. Bad n00b!

LI GUY 1
8/03/2006 2:32pm,
what do you have around you to choose from?

hl1978
8/03/2006 3:05pm,
Depends on what you want to focus on, what is available to you, the quality of the instruction and how much you are willing to pay.

Judo is mostly focused on standup/throws, the focus on groundwork varies from school to school.

BJJ is supposedly the opposite (i have done judo not BJJ), with more focus on the ground and less how to get there. There seems to be plenty of people with both judo and BJJ experience.

JJ can mean all sorts of different things, perhaps if you can provide info on local schools people can help you evaluate them. I've met JJ people who were primarily strikers with some small joint manipulation stuff and there are people who are far more grappling focused.

I have no experience with catch wrestling, but did greco-roman wrestling while in school. I liked it personally, but outside of a school/college environment, it doesnt seem to be that common.

Judo is cheap, and everywhere. Your local ymca/college/rec center will likely have a class. BJJ is known for having quality instruction, but seems to cost several times that of judo. If you are still in school and have access to greco-roman wrestling, it will likely be free or minimal cost as an afterschool sport. JJ is highly variable.

Daley
8/04/2006 4:59am,
Well I'm from the UK so this kind of thing doesn't really make it into schools. There are some Judo, Ju Juitsu and BJJ classes around my local area. Also the cost isn't something that I'm too worried about for now.

The problem is as much as I'd like to get into BJJ i'm worried that there is little to no take down instruction anymore.
The problem with judo is that its all takedown and no real follow up on the ground.

Therefore in my mind some kind of catch wrestling or sambo wrestling would cover both of these areas, while still sharing some of the same techniques and moves.

I've looked into the Ju Jitsu at my student union but it seems to be a more striking and exhibtion style set up than anything involving significant grappling techniques.

I'm leaning towards the BJJ for now but I'd be interested to know what people think of wrestling techniques, whether they can be held up alongside martial art techniques or whether its just something for school sports nowadays.

PointyShinyBurn
8/04/2006 6:15am,
Training in wrestling is a good complement to BJJ, and wrestling is a martial art. The vast majority of takedowns you will see in an MMA match are freestyle wrestling. The average BJJ class will not cover a huge variety of takedowns, nor spend a vast amount of time on them.

Asriel
8/04/2006 7:11am,
Where in the UK are you? If it's london check out www.gracie-barra.co.uk I've just started training there and it's very good.

Mars
8/04/2006 7:58am,
It sounds like you have done your homework. My advice is go for the BEEJAYJAY. There are other ways to learn a variety of takedowns besides Judo. Dig yourself up a non class related source for takedowns and a good sparring partner to try them out on and there you go.

Sophist
8/04/2006 8:12am,
The problem is as much as I'd like to get into BJJ i'm worried that there is little to no take down instruction anymore.
The problem with judo is that its all takedown and no real follow up on the ground.

Have you considered cross-training? They complement each other very well, and you're likely to get much better instruction in both in the U.K. than you would get in catch wrestling or sambo.

Judo tends to train a lot more groundfighting than BJJ trains stand-up, in my experience, but schools differ. A judo dojo run by someone who likes their ne-waza fighting or a BJJ school run by someone with some stand-up grappling experience would be enough to give you a reasonable grounding in both ranges. It's going to be much harder to find a catch wrestler or samboist locally of any quality.

It should be noted that judo tends to be much more gi-centric than BJJ though.

jnp
8/04/2006 9:14am,
I'm leaning towards the BJJ for now but I'd be interested to know what people think of wrestling techniques, whether they can be held up alongside martial art techniques or whether its just something for school sports nowadays.
Bearing in mind that personal anecdotes/examples are not terribly useful, I will tell you that my high school and limited college wrestling experience enables me to take down over 90% of the BJJ practitioners I meet. In fact, the only people that I've run into that give me a hard time are other wrestlers or experienced judoka.

I worked my ass off to get better at takedowns though. Proficiency at takedowns (among other things) is all about drilling and live sparring. Definitely more drilling initially though.

Edit: FWIW I've also used wrestling takedowns in real fights.