PDA

View Full Version : looking for good grappling in Ottawa

kracker
7/30/2006 3:46pm,
Hi everyone I'm new here,
I have decided after a 2 year break to go and start some Martial arts again, this time I want to do a wrestling/grappling style. I have had multiple horrible experiences with shitty "McDojos" in my past and am looking for something competition geared with full contact sparring/grappling every or almost every class and no or at least limited "katas or patters" Judging by the amount written on FSD (:eusa_wall ) you have quite a few forum members who come from Ottawa Canada. What's the best grappling school around the East end (around Orleans). I know that OAMA is the best in Ottawa and I will eventually go there but for now I have limited tranportative means.

Jorec
7/30/2006 8:10pm,
Ah, limited transportative means huh, so your stuck on the OC. Well I share your pain, as I to am stuck on the OC (Meaning from my house, I spend an 45 mins- hour getting to the boxing gym and an hour and a half getting to my JKD class)

Honestly, I would just suck it up and go to OAMA, if its as good as its sopposed to be then it'll be worth the extra time to get there. Atleast thats how I rationalize travelling to my MA training, hehe.

Theres a few more options of course, around Tuney's pasture there is a Sambo school ( http://www.rus-sambo.com/ ) run by Igor Yakimov which is quite good.
They teach all the types of Sambo, as well they have Judo and a MMA class on saturdays.

sun-ninja
3/31/2007 10:52pm,
Hi all,

I am hoping to get back into martial arts (six year absence due to an accident). Would like to get into grappling / mixed martial arts.
As a big fan of watching UFC, would like to understand more particularly the mma contact and also to have some fun.

However, my age is 38.
Is it too late to be accepted by schools into this type of contact martial arts ?

Or should I just join a mcdojo...

Askari
3/31/2007 10:59pm,
Hi Sun-Ninja,

Its not to late to train, but your not likely to be competitive in MMA starting this late. But you can enter BJJ over 35 tournaments.

There are a lot of good clubs in Ottawa. Try the underground forum on www.mma.tv for help choosing a club.

Virus
4/01/2007 2:31am,
You might want to check out this school:
http://www.bujinkandojo.ca/index.php

sun-ninja
4/01/2007 9:03am,
Thanks for the quick response FrankDux and Ninja Spirit.

My first choice is Ronin.
Next was either igor's Sambo (this is not on that website) or OAMA.

I don't make a lot of money, so am not to interested in attending so many seminars and/or going out of town to support the school.

That bujinkan school sounds interesting, but it is out of town for me.

Thanks again.

Wolf
4/01/2007 9:07am,
You should check to see if Master Kim has any friends in your area. They would be the best instructors by far. BJJ would just get you killed in the street.

Virus
4/01/2007 9:30am,
Thanks for the quick response FrankDux and Ninja Spirit.

My first choice is Ronin.
Next was either igor's Sambo (this is not on that website) or OAMA.

I don't make a lot of money, so am not to interested in attending so many seminars and/or going out of town to support the school.

That bujinkan school sounds interesting, but it is out of town for me.

Thanks again.

It might be best to hold off on following any advice given today.

Askari
4/01/2007 12:46pm,
You should check to see if Master Kim has any friends in your area. They would be the best instructors by far. BJJ would just get you killed in the street.
Deadliness > Aliveness. TTT.