PDA

View Full Version : VERY confused MA NooB

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

WooTy
7/29/2006 9:16pm,
hi, im currently studyng kung fu shaolin, but im having a dbout that has been killing me lately.
kung fu teaches u about kicks, how to do them, some grabs and stuff but its like too much of a "clean" fight, ill explain miself for u guys that dont understand me
lets say im in the street and a guy gives me a punch, so we start to fight but i only know a clean way to fight but he is a dirty street fighter, like he hits me with his elbows and knees, wich im not prepared to avoid since i have not been teached to since its like prohibited in martial arts, if i kick him and he blocks with his elbow im dead, so what sthe point of all the fancy and killer kicks if a mere street fighter can make me roll and cry in pain on the floor?
so im wondering here if im wrong (not tryng to say traditional martial arts are bad or something im just a noob), but i would like u guys to tell me if im wrong about the elbows and ****, and tell me what kind of martial art is "dirty", as an example krav maga wich is like a killer martial art
would full contact do it for me?

thx for answering in advance

Torakaka
7/29/2006 9:19pm,
this would all be cleared up if you ever did any sparring, ever. And no, Krav Maga would probably not be any better than what you're doing now.

edit: and by sparring I don't mean point sparring or semi-contact bullshit

Backdraft
7/29/2006 9:24pm,
First: You should have posted this in newbietown.
Second: SPARRING as in REAL martial arts.
Third: You'd be worse of with Krav Maga.

Poop Loops
7/29/2006 9:27pm,
If you're worried about dirty fighters, carry around some liquid soap or even Lysol. When the guy tries to shove a potato up your ass, squirt some on him, and then you'll both be clean fighters and the potato will vanish.

Torakaka
7/29/2006 9:30pm,
also, someone "blocking" with their elbow isn't really a dirty trick, kicking people in the elbows is something you'd just get used to after sparring. I kick people in the elbows pretty frequently, it's really not all that bad (during my fights I completely never even noticed when I'd catch an elbow on a kick)

mrblackmagic
7/29/2006 9:43pm,
hi, im currently studyng kung fu shaolin, but im having a dbout that has been killing me lately.
kung fu teaches u about kicks, how to do them, some grabs and stuff but its like too much of a "clean" fight, ill explain miself for u guys that dont understand me
lets say im in the street and a guy gives me a punch, so we start to fight but i only know a clean way to fight but he is a dirty street fighter, like he hits me with his elbows and knees, wich im not prepared to avoid since i have not been teached to since its like prohibited in martial arts, if i kick him and he blocks with his elbow im dead, so what sthe point of all the fancy and killer kicks if a mere street fighter can make me roll and cry in pain on the floor?
so im wondering here if im wrong (not tryng to say traditional martial arts are bad or something im just a noob), but i would like u guys to tell me if im wrong about the elbows and ****, and tell me what kind of martial art is "dirty", as an example krav maga wich is like a killer martial art

thx for answering in advance

First question: How to deal with elbow blocks

Milk, jumping rope, and praying.

Next question: What should you learn?

You want to learn how to actually "fight" not do "dirty" tricks because I guaranteee you everybody else can do them too and some twisted ************ know how to do them better. Some will even do **** you never even heard of. You know getting an "oil check" is? Do you want to know? No you don't.

Robstafarian
7/29/2006 9:44pm,
I'm not qualified to give you a complete answer, but since I'm compelled to be helpful I'll clear up what I can...

like he hits me with his elbows and knees, wich im not prepared to avoid since i have not been teached to since its like prohibited in martial artsIf your Sifu told you that these strikes are prohibited in martial arts, that's a dead giveaway that he's full of ****. I've seen elbow strikes performed by Shaolin monks (in a documentary), not to mention that there is no global ruleset for martial arts. For example, heel hooks may be prohibited in Tae Kwon Do but they are acceptable in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Sambo.
tell me what kind of martial art is "dirty"I'm no authority on the breadth of martial systems in the world, but your mention of elbows and knees immediately reminded me of Muay Thai. If you train Muay Thai, I promise you'll learn how to throw elbow and knee strikes. Going back to my previous example of heel hooks, a number of standup-oriented styles consider groundfighting itself dirty. By that standard, BJJ and Sambo can also teach you to fight "dirty". Given your perspective, I'd advise you to look for an MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) gym in your area to tie it all together. Ask your average boxing commentator about MMA and they'll probably talk about it being barbaric and dirty.

I hope this helped, I'll now stand aside and wait for the more knowledgeable folks to show you the light.

TKD Black Belt
7/29/2006 10:14pm,
Well I'd suggest a multistep approach.

1.) Please pat yourself on the back for seeing the short comings of your current system before it cost you your teeth or stitches.

2.) Go find a school that actually practices what they preach. Be cautioned though, as I'm not referring to a school that 'street fights' but rather one that actively competes inside a large and widely recognized and respected organization.

A fight is dirty. There is no other way around that. A fight is also unpredictable.

TKD

PS - Perhaps your Seafood needs to do a little MMA, granted elbows aren't always permitted (this varies according to which sanctioning body is in charge) but there is a whole other end of the pool that you can't really explore from the edge.

TKD Black Belt
7/29/2006 10:15pm,
... krav maga wich is like a killer martial art

Sorry had to point that out as it is perhaps the best example of accidental comedy gold.

TKD

pauli
7/29/2006 10:25pm,
wooty, how old are you and how long have you been training?

Fantasy Warrior
7/29/2006 10:33pm,
mi spelin iz shite butt yors tayks teh piz

Poop Loops
7/29/2006 10:43pm,
also, someone "blocking" with their elbow isn't really a dirty trick, kicking people in the elbows is something you'd just get used to after sparring. I kick people in the elbows pretty frequently, it's really not all that bad (during my fights I completely never even noticed when I'd catch an elbow on a kick)
Having your kick blocked with an elbow is a ************ when you kick with your instep, though. Another reason why the shin is the most superior bone in the body. For kicking.

Torakaka
7/29/2006 10:46pm,
Kicking with the instep excludes you from the cool club.

SchwrzSnn
7/30/2006 12:01pm,
Not to mention it can exclude you from walking properly for the rest of the day.

Teh El Macho
7/30/2006 12:43pm,

thx for answering in advanceDude, you know what? I just showed the line highlighted above to one of my sisters. She is a girly happy-go-lucky girl, soccer mom and biology nerd whose closest experience to martial arts have been Billy Blank's Tae Bo tapes and watching boxing on TV.

When I showed her that highlighted line to this girl who knows **** about MA, she had this priceless what-the-**** look in her. Her reply basically was "what the **** is that? what the **** does that mean? what the **** is "dirty"? if you fight, you used whatever you have. that sounds like ghay bullshit." I swear to God, that was her reaction.

If she, my soccer mom sister, who has no interest or knowledge on martial arts can rub a pair of neurons and instantly detect the warm, ripe smell of bullshit, why can't you? Why some people have this herd mentality and allow themselves to be fed of that kind of tripe????

Good lord, the humanity...

plasma
7/30/2006 3:43pm,
I can't use elbows and knees anymore? What have I been doing. Apparently, it wasn't "Martial Arts!"