PDA

View Full Version : So what’s good about kung fu?

Pages : [1] 2

Robot Jesus
7/29/2006 7:00pm,
We all know by now what’s wrong with it, lack of aliveness, obsession with tradition, ect. But what do different styles of kung fu have to offer?

So pimp you style

plasma
7/29/2006 7:20pm,
Wing Chun! CenterLine Chain Punching. We make up for quality with quantity.

wagamichi
7/29/2006 7:32pm,
We all know by now what’s wrong with it, lack of aliveness, obsession with tradition, ect. But what do different styles of kung fu have to offer?

So pimp you style

Nothing wrong with my kung-fu. :qleft4:

plasma
7/29/2006 7:34pm,
Your Kung Fu is weak :qright3:

wagamichi
7/29/2006 7:36pm,
Your Kung Fu is weak :qright3:

You Must die! I alone am best!

kung_fu_zombie
7/29/2006 7:46pm,
The use of chi powers aka the search function

TehDeadlyDimMak
7/29/2006 8:09pm,

So pimp you style

Not only does my "Kung Fu" not suffer from any of the problems that you've listed, but it makes you more attractive as well.

Backdraft
7/29/2006 9:22pm,
The answer to the question is Omega.

Robot Jesus
7/29/2006 9:44pm,
The answer to the question is Omega.

Yes, exactly. What specifically does he like about his kung fu compared to other arts? Or is it just what he started with and their where no serious problems? Would he suggest cross training and if so what would one learn?

Same question to other CMA artists.

The generalities of how kung fu can be good have been done to death, but what they have to offer tend to drown in a sea of chi flavored ****.

And I tried to use the search function but after five pages I gave up

mrblackmagic
7/30/2006 12:32am,
Search "within" the thread.

I vouch for Xing Yi Quan. It's simple to learn and it uses principles similar to western boxing. Most importantly, it's not passive.

Backdraft
7/30/2006 8:04am,
Yes, exactly. What specifically does he like about his kung fu compared to other arts? Or is it just what he started with and their where no serious problems? Would he suggest cross training and if so what would one learn?

Same question to other CMA artists.

The generalities of how kung fu can be good have been done to death, but what they have to offer tend to drown in a sea of chi flavored ****.

And I tried to use the search function but after five pages I gave up

You should ask Omega that, I just posted that because I know Omega lists his style as Kung-Fu. PM him or something.

Omega Supreme
7/30/2006 1:05pm,
Don't ask Omega about his kung-fu styles. It doesn't mean anything. What it is was the people I surrounded myself with. Funny story two of my Sifu's came in yesterday to check up how I was. My sifus/sihungs, were always cross training with kickboxers, Judokas, wrestlers etc. They just passed that philosophy on to me. My current kung-fu style is mine alone. It has it's base in Hung-gar, Five Ancestors/Five Fist, Southern Eagle Claw, and Leopard fist. But along with that I trained with Aikidoka, Kickboxers both muay thai and full contact, kenpo karate, boxers, and Judoka. This was in my teenage years. By the time UFC rolled around I had already encountered GJJ, shootfighting/shootwrestling, and SAMBO.

The only thing that is grounded in tradition for me in kung-fu is work ethic, philosophy and etiquette. I can do all the forms, I can do the weapons but we spar, and we spar hard. All my students learn to spar boxing (poorly, I suck at boxing), san shou, throwing, and ground work. They learn self-defense techniques as idea based techniques. These techniques come from law enforcement, military, body guards, bouncers etc. They learn foo foo weapons Chinese broad sword, spear, long blade, but then they've got to learn to use real practical weapons, sticks, staffs, knives and swords.

Our motto?

'Did it work? (Then STFU)'

Omega Supreme
7/30/2006 1:06pm,
BTW my first blackbelt was in Judo.

Don Gwinn
7/30/2006 2:49pm,
So, for Omega, the value in Kung Fu was its forward-thinking, progressive, and inclusive training philosophy. Who'da thunk it?

Backdraft
7/30/2006 3:06pm,
The real Kung-fu?

Cullion
7/30/2006 3:09pm,
I dunno why everybody listens to Omega so much. He's just a JKD instructor who's bitter he doesn't have Bruce Lee's movie contacts.