PDA

View Full Version : Howdy and stuff

rush2024
7/28/2006 2:23pm,
Ive been lurking here quite awhile, and have waited a considerable time to register, and then to finally post. I shoot IDPA and three-gun, which is clearly for another forum here.

Anyway, I studied Okinawan Karate for about two years while in college, cross trained in Ju Jitsu and Iado from what I considered to be the ultimate in Dojo in the world. I also wrestled three years in highschool, attending Gables three week training camp, Gramby camps etc., and did AAU freestyle and greco, placing somewhere at the freestyle states back in the 80's, but not medaling I remember.

Now in my Mid-30's, and after leaving the MA world for other pursuits for about 12 years, I went back to find the old dojo, but it had moved far, far away. As such, I started seraching the internet for a new place that would be related to the old dojo, or similar in styles.

Then I managed, by accident, to catch a few UFC matches, and noted that nobody used any of the stuff that I learned in Krotty those two years. Then I found Bullshido which gave me a completely different perspective on my former training.

Looking back, the dojo I was at only allowed brown belts to spar, point sparriing at that, and that we didnt go to tournaments because we "trained for war, not sport." Right. However, there was one kata competition we attended where a few of the brown belts went for the sparring, and got their asses kicked. Did I get McDojoed?

What really put me over the top was recalling one training session where the Sinsei was demonstarting a technique on me for the class, and I was suposed to put my hand behind my back somehow, and couldnt get it the way he wanted. He asked me in front of the class, "You didnt fight much as a kid, did you?"

Well, no. Thats why I was there, to learn that stuff - clearly I wasnt going to. Then I contrasted that experience to HS wrestling where I went up against other folks on the second day of practice. And lo and behold, I felt comfortable wrestling a guy, but no confidence in striking, depsite all this super "war training. Go figure.

Now I wouldnt say I was McDojoed in the strictest ense of the word. The head guy really knew his stuff, and had all sorts of full contact titles and what not. Plus the atmosphere of the place was very japancentric and cultural. The weapons classes were outsatnding too. However, it wasnt designed to teach folks how to fight, so I would say I was TMA'd, not McDojo'd. I would probably still go there if it was around, but only as an adjunct.

So then I began looking for a dojo that would incorporate real sparring, support tournament competition, emphasize techniques over culture and tradition, and it had to be close to home. Real close.

Short story long, after reading the reviews and comments from the Bullshido crowd, I found a Judo club about two miles from my home, visited it last night, and it looked pretty legit. Cost effective, kind of laid back, almost no calisthenic time wasters. Folks were all in mid teens, up to late forties. Small group, but that added to the coziness. Plus its inside of a former "major brand" weight gym with 24 hour access so I could arguably use the mats outside of the club practices. Lots of force on force ground work and throws, lots of sweating, very few japanese words. Looks GTG.

For the striking, I believe 15 minutes on heavy bag is more beneficial than 3 hours at a TMA dojo, and I dont have all the time in the world anyway. However, I have found a former kronk boxer who's wiling to put on some pads and head gear and kick the crap out of me from time to time, so that seems GTG too.

I have no ambition to ever get in a professional fight, ala UFC or what not, but traditional Judo tournaments seem plausible for an old fart like me. Maybe some AAU wrestling if I can find someone to train with. However, as I am really a total loser wuss, it probably will never happen.

Ayway, I will post a review of the Judo Club after a month or so of training, for whatever value the review from a newb would add.

Now, let the mandatory ritualistic fisting of the Newbie begin.:new_borgs

plasma
7/28/2006 3:44pm,
Welcome to Bullshido.

What do you normally shoot with?

BackFistMonkey
7/28/2006 4:15pm,
Hello welcome to Bullshido .

Thank you for using paragraphs , capital letters and punctuation .

hapkido_keith
7/28/2006 6:48pm,
Hello welcome to Bullshido .

Thank you for using paragraphs , capital letters and punctuation .
He's not just being sarcastic here. The amount of people who fail to do these simple things is staggering.

rush2024
7/30/2006 7:15am,
pl4zm4 -

Normally I shoot a Springfield Armory 1911-A1 in 9mm for the ESP division. I know, 9mm in a 1911 is like a chick with a dick, but I concentrate on the gaming aspects with that firearm.

The matches in my area normally have a morning soot and an afternoon shoot, with the second being unscored. For those I use the old SSP class Gen 1 Glock 23 in 40 S&W, which is also my carry gun. I'm a firm believer in the motto, "Train how you fight, fight how you train," so at least one match needs to concentrate on the carry gun. Ive been shooting IDPA for about four years and have still never bothered to get classified.

As far as Three Gun, I run one of the pistols above, a Bushy AR, and a Mossberg 9200 autoloader. I switch between a TT MAV and a SOTech Hellcat rig, depending on the length and nature of the competition. This is clearly in contradiction to the aforementioned motto, but I consider Three Gun competition to be only a game in relation to my current situtaion, whereas IDPA is somewhat more oriented to concealed carry issues.

BFM & HK -

Thanks. On a forum whose mission is to call out B.S., you would think posters would spend some time on at least making their positions seem more credible by presenting them in a proper manner.

DAYoung
7/30/2006 7:20am,
Do you remember what style of Okinawan Karate you studied? I'm no interested in lineage wars, just curious.

rush2024
7/31/2006 7:46am,
Do you remember what style of Okinawan Karate you studied? I'm no interested in lineage wars, just curious.

They only referred to it as "Traditional Okinawan Karate." Upon review of the membership credentials, it appeared to be some derivaive of Isshin Ryu. The books we were required to get were all Funikoshi.

BTW, I have no idea how to spell any Japanese word or name in the above statement. No disrespect intended.

MrMcFu
7/31/2006 7:54am,
On a forum whose mission is to call out B.S., you would think posters would spend some time on at least making their positions seem more credible by presenting them in a proper manner.

Natural selection is taking over. You are now automatically better than 80% of the newbs we have.

Scrapper
7/31/2006 9:18am,
A truly exemplary first post. God, that's refreshing!

daGorilla
7/31/2006 9:36am,
A truly exemplary first post. God, that's refreshing!

Holy crap, I'm stunned. A good first post and he can write/spell/grammercize properly. Well done!

Now, my only gripe is calling folks in their mid-thirties "old farts".

Granted -- relative to the rabble of drooling, teen/tween/twenty-something MMA/BJJ screwballs that can scarcely string together coherent thoughts or sentences (let alone write them down) -- we *are* in fact old farts.

But I prefer to think of us as "Medium Old" or "experienced" or perhaps "veterans" (?) :-)

-daGorilla

Hawkeye
7/31/2006 10:41am,
Best intro in a while. Welcome here.

DAYoung
7/31/2006 4:45pm,
They only referred to it as "Traditional Okinawan Karate." Upon review of the membership credentials, it appeared to be some derivaive of Isshin Ryu. The books we were required to get were all Funikoshi.

OK. So, by 'traditional', they mean 'modern-but-not-progressive'. Fair enough.

BTW, I have no idea how to spell any Japanese word or name in the above statement. No disrespect intended.

Don't worry about it. You're not claiming to be Da Japaneze.

DAYoung
7/31/2006 4:47pm,
Best intro in a while. Welcome here.

Brief interlude.
--------------------

That scene from Heat as your avatar: excellent.

Brilliant film.

--------------------

rush2024
8/04/2006 7:45pm,
Thanks to all for making me feel welcome.

I believe that I will use the term "mature" to describe those of us in our thirties. It treats the age issue positively, without implicating skill, experience, and other earned attributes as necessarily included. Thus, no disrespect to those who have earned respect, regardless of age, yet still giving respect to those who have made it this far in life.

As an aside, I had my first judo session last night and got smacked around by some sixteen-year-olds whom I outweighed by MANY pounds. I told them after the session, "Whatever you do, don't get old."