PDA

View Full Version : Sambo or Savate/MT in GTA

Yellicopter
7/26/2006 7:29am,
Ok so I'm a martial arts noob trying to pick his first style here and I've got it narrowed down to these two places in my area that look fairly decent to my untrained eye at least.

First one's a big facility that trains all sorts of different martial arts. I understand from reading some of the posts around here that that can be a potential bullshido redflag, as can the kids classes. Is there anything about this place that screams bullshido to you? I'd mostly be interested in the MT/Savate they offer and possibly the wrestling as well.

http://www.kombatarts.com/main.html

It looks ok to me and it's like 10 mins away but what do I know at this point right.

Second place is a combat Sambo school that's a little further away. I'm actually sort of leaning toward this one right now because I understand Sambo is more of a well rounded style with groundwork, throws and striking in it. Seems like a good place to start assuming the School's decent of course.

http://www.combatsambo.ca/

So what do you think enwisened veterans of bullshido.com. Am I on the right track with my choices here or about to waste a lot of time and money? Mainly I just want a style where I actually get practical applied training/legit exercise not standing around posing for 2 hours.

If there's any other schools that seem to fall under that description that someone knows about in the west end of the greater toronto area, I'd be interested in hearing about those as well.

Omega Supreme
7/26/2006 8:06am,
Blah SAMBO is gay. You should stay away from it especially styles such as Combat SAMBO.

Seriously though, that combat sambo school and many like it tend to concentrate so much on the Combat aspect that they tend to neglect developing the base skill to accomplish most of their movements. Unless you have some really deep base in another system then combat sambo won't be for you. I did combat sambo for years until I went to a few other sambo and various other grappling skills and switched over to pure sambo. Pure sambo tries to teach all aspects of sambo, not just sport or combat.

The other school looks 10 times better. It teaches all aspects of martial arts. From the web description of both schools the KATA one looks and sounds better.

Goju - Joe
7/26/2006 8:16am,
Ok so I'm a martial arts noob trying to pick his first style here and I've got it narrowed down to these two places in my area that look fairly decent to my untrained eye at least.

First one's a big facility that trains all sorts of different martial arts. I understand from reading some of the posts around here that that can be a potential bullshido redflag, as can the kids classes. Is there anything about this place that screams bullshido to you? I'd mostly be interested in the MT/Savate they offer and possibly the wrestling as well.

http://www.kombatarts.com/main.html

It looks ok to me and it's like 10 mins away but what do I know at this point right.

Second place is a combat Sambo school that's a little further away. I'm actually sort of leaning toward this one right now because I understand Sambo is more of a well rounded style with groundwork, throws and striking in it. Seems like a good place to start assuming the School's decent of course.

http://www.combatsambo.ca/

So what do you think enwisened veterans of bullshido.com. Am I on the right track with my choices here or about to waste a lot of time and money? Mainly I just want a style where I actually get practical applied training/legit exercise not standing around posing for 2 hours.

If there's any other schools that seem to fall under that description that someone knows about in the west end of the greater toronto area, I'd be interested in hearing about those as well.

I started at Kombatarts about as month ago. And I have been doing martial arts in one form or another for 14 years.

As far as teaching different styles being bullshido, usually that is if it's one person claiming to be an expert in all those styles.

All different classes are taught by highly respected experts in their fields with a lot of verifiable accomplishments.

Kombat arts also ahs several MMA fighters training there. Claude Patrick just fought in KOTC canada and at TKO in Quebec and Mark Bockek the BJJ black belt fights MMA and has a macth coming up soon as well.

Also as far as having a style that integrates all the different ranges of combat they teach CSW which is combat submission wrestling or basically MMA fighting.

They're my favorite classes and some of the best and most applicable training I got.

As far as kids classes, no one says teaching children is Bullshido, teaching children crap and giving 8 year olds black belts is bullshido.

Also if you want weapons they also do Dog brothers

Kombat arts isn't a dojo basically it's a martial arts gym with different classes taught by experienced qualified instructors.

Ask to try classes at both. Do a Muay Thi and CSW class at Kombat, joey's very reasonable and I think they let people do a week for free

I think I am going to CSW tonight from 8-9:30

Check out the sambo school as well

Seriously though and I mean this is the nicest possible way if you don't choose Kombat arts you're retarded ;)

Omega Supreme
7/26/2006 8:20am,
I started at Kombatarts about as month ago. And I have been doing martial arts in one form or another for 14 years.

As far as teaching different styles being bullshido, usually that is if it's one person claiming to be an expert in all those styles.

All different classes are taught by highly respected experts in their fields with a lot of verifiable accomplishments.

Kombat arts also ahs several MMA fighters training there. Claude Patrick just fought in KOTC canada and at TKO in Quebec and Mark Bockek the BJJ black belt fights MMA and has a macth coming up soon as well.

Also as far as having a style that integrates all the different ranges of combat they teach CSW which is combat submission wrestling or basically MMA fighting.

They're my favorite classes and some of the best and most applicable training I got.

As far as kids classes, no one says teaching children is Bullshido, teaching children crap and giving 8 year olds black belts is bullshido.

Also if you want weapons they also do Dog brothers

Kombat arts isn't a dojo basically it's a martial arts gym with different classes taught by experienced qualified instructors.

Ask to try classes at both. Do a Muay Thi and CSW class at Kombat, joey's very reasonable and I think they let people do a week for free

I think I am going to CSW tonight from 8-9:30

Check out the sambo school as well

Seriously though and I mean this is the nicest possible way if you don't choose Kombat arts you're retarded ;)

Well **** if Goju goes there it must suck big hairy balls.:eusa_hand

PointyShinyBurn
7/26/2006 8:23am,
Seriously though, that combat sambo school and many like it tend to concentrate so much on the Combat aspect that they tend to neglect developing the base skill to accomplish most of their movements. Unless you have some really deep base in another system then combat sambo won't be for you. I did combat sambo for years until I went to a few other sambo and various other grappling skills and switched over to pure sambo. Pure sambo tries to teach all aspects of sambo, not just sport or combat.I'm confused. Isn't Combat Sambo what Fedor is doing in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zuJ0GbWY34&search=fedor%20sambo), i.e. MMA in a funny jacket, and therefore a good thing?

Omega Supreme
7/26/2006 8:31am,
I'm confused. Isn't Combat Sambo what Fedor is doing in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zuJ0GbWY34&search=fedor%20sambo), i.e. MMA in a funny jacket, and therefore a good thing?

No that's actually Combat Sport SAMBO. An aspect that is missing from many Combat SAMBO schools.

Goju - Joe
7/26/2006 8:33am,
Well **** if Goju goes there it must suck big hairy balls.:eusa_hand

SHHHHHHHHHHH hairy ball sucking is only one of the many side benefits.

........Wait! does that sound ghey?

Goju - Joe
7/26/2006 8:34am,
anyhoo look at Kombat's page of instructors to see who's teaching what and what they've accomplished

http://www.kombatarts.com/Instructors/RafaelDelgado/index.html

PointyShinyBurn
7/26/2006 8:35am,
No that's actually Combat Sport SAMBO. An aspect that is missing from many Combat SAMBO schools.Ah, so Combat Sambo is RBSD type stuff?

Omega Supreme
7/26/2006 8:45am,
Ah, so Combat Sambo is RBSD type stuff?

Truthfully I'm not familiar with RBSD, but from what I hear, yeah.

Yellicopter
7/26/2006 10:21am,
So it's looking like Kombat arts is the smart pick here then. Thanks guys, didn't expect so many replies in such a short time here.

This works out great for me because the place is literally just ten minutes away.

GoJu - Joe, how does the sign up work there. Do you buy a membership to the entire facility or a membership/fee to each individual class?

Ideally I would like to sample a bit of a couple of things they've got before deciding what I want to commit myself to.

Goju - Joe
7/26/2006 11:07am,
I believe everything beside boxing is covered by one membership, which is a great deal.

They have a free week policy to try every class all you have to do is fill out the waiver and show up. http://www.kombatarts.com/Academy/About/index.html

FYI they've also had guys like Carlos Newton, Frank Trigg and GSP come in for seminars there..

Frankly if you're 10 minutes away I envy you.

I would try a CSW, Muay Thai and BJJ 101 class.

selfcritical
7/26/2006 2:54pm,
Do you have to do MT for a while for the STX class to be worthwhile?

Goju - Joe
7/26/2006 4:00pm,
STX stands for Savate Thai Cross training I gues they're blended. I have been concentrating on the CSW and some BJJ and only realy done one MT/STX or whatever it's called class.

Hard work out though.

Sokaku
7/28/2006 5:12pm,
Damn, I've already seen that school before. I wish there were gyms like that here in Brussel, because it really looks damn good. Plus, it's the first time I've ever seen a school teaching t3h r3al JKD (not some lame bullshido class full of Bruce Lee wanabes). Finally a school that really understands it's principle.

Sophist
8/01/2006 2:14pm,
That's a hell of an instructor list. Olympic-standard boxing coach, BJJ black belt, BJJ brown belt, Dog Brother-trained stickfighters, a national medallist in wrestling and a shitload of savateurs and Muay Thai people.

They claim to be "the premier MMA facility in Canada". They seem to have the right sort of people to put a pretty good bid in for it. I hope they're affordable, as if they are it looks like you've got a great gym.