PDA

View Full Version : My first BJJ class.

Agis Silverfish
7/25/2006 6:08am,
Hello to you all.

Haven't written for a long time... Didn't want to test the patience of the wise, but I wanted to tell you that

Yesterday I had my first BJJ class!!!

Stuff I liked:

- Competitors in the gym.
- Students sweat.
- The instructor spars with the students - to exhaustion.
- The instructor is a great teacher. He stayed one on one with me most of the time. He was not compliant at all.
- The instructor has odd ears - cauliflower ears, maybe? I think that's the sign of the veteran.
- Competent -to my eyes- white belts.
- The art itself. I have done Japanese JJ, but now I understand some of the concepts better -using leverage, weight....
- My knees feel great, but my muscles have had a good workout.
- They let me in a week before the month I paid.
- I learned two chokes, an arm lock, a scape, half a takedown and the guard. I think that's quite a lot.
- No LARPing at all. Grades are not important when you salute, etc. The word 'Sensei' is not used.

Stuff I didn't like so much:

- They always use the gi.
- They speak in Brazilian and I don't speak a word of it. I managed to understand what the instructor was telling me, and I hope I will get better at it.
- I practised with Wolf and Shark... Capoeira guys get their nicknames, and I don't have one. :))))

All right, thank you all who recommend BJJ. It was a brilliant idea. I have to leave you now. I'm going back to the gym! Let's roll!!!

Sub-Zero
7/25/2006 6:28am,
You should just speak back to him in Spanish, like that guy did in the Gracies In Action clip.

"Puedo decirles en espanol? Cuando estamos trabajando, no puede levantar a una persona en el aire. Eso no es judo".

Seriously, though, good for you. I'm a BJJ noob as well.

Bender
7/25/2006 10:46am,
That's awesome man!
BJJ is a great sport and there is plenty of good "real world" sparring (rolling) and applications every class.

They speak in Brazilian and I don't speak a word of it.

They speak Portuguese and it is similiar to Spanish/French. You will pick it up before long and be able to communicate just fine.

There was a post somewhere here that had just Portuguese for BJJ on another site. If I can find the link I will post it for you.

-B

Bender
7/25/2006 10:49am,
You should just speak back to him in Spanish, like that guy did in the Gracies In Action clip.

"Puedo decirles en espanol? Cuando estamos trabajando, no puede levantar a una persona en el aire. Eso no es judo".

Seriously, though, good for you. I'm a BJJ noob as well.

Hey maybe funny, but most Brazilians speak Spanish also. It is also close enough that Castilian Spanish is understood.

Usually the Brazilian BB's I have trained with speak Portuguese, Spanish, English and sometimes Japanese.

-B