PDA

View Full Version : Self Defense Weapons

Pages : [1] 2

ClintEQ
7/13/2003 7:03pm,
Do any of you carry weapons with you for self defense? Knives, sticks, etc? A knife or a gun can be deadly even in untrained hands, but many blunt weapons are only truly effective by those who carry them and have studied with them. How do you guys feel about this? Are your hands deadly enough as is?

Phoenix
7/13/2003 7:28pm,
I carry a kubaton on my keys. That's about it.

Le Grill?? What the hell is that?!! - Homer Simpson

Blad3
7/13/2003 7:40pm,
no.

"Wrestling is the Martial Art of America";
"If you don't know how to wrestle you don't know how to fight, that's the prerequisite to fighting" David Tank Abbott (http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/displayfighter.cfm?fighterid=110)

ClintEQ
7/13/2003 7:43pm,
Yeah, I see a fair ammount of those.

gong sau
7/13/2003 8:10pm,
Back in the day, I used to carry a blackjack at times. A couple guys I knew carried straight razors. Back then (~10-12 years ago), things were a little crazy. There were a lot of nazi skins in the area, and we used to get into it with them pretty often. Nowadays I carry a small folding kerambit, but mostly as a utility knife; I don't usually have it where it's easily accessible.

Flame on.

ClintEQ
7/13/2003 8:19pm,
Speaking of knives, whats the deal with switch blades? They are illegal, but I dont see the advantage that they present... there are plenty of knives that you flick open... and its almost the same. Am I wrong?

Rogue
7/13/2003 8:24pm,
Do any of you carry weapons with you for self defense?
No, but in my car I do carry a utility knife for cutting things such as my seat belt if the buckle jams and tools for hammering something back into shape. I also have a punch just in case I need to break one of my windows in case of an emergency. I keep a big maglite just in case my car breaks down and I need to repair something or walk to a gas station. I also carry some sporting goods for my kids ball games and some padded training items for my hobby.
On my person I carry a Swiss Army knife and an umbrella if there's the remote chance for rain.
But weapons? No.

Edited by - rogue on July 13 2003 20:26:53

Choke
7/13/2003 11:28pm,
I carry a kubaton sporatically.

The Mad Hatter
7/13/2003 11:40pm,
No, I do not carry weapons. Not out of the belief that my hands are deadly enough, or that my skills are to the point that I do not need to, I just don't bother with the hassle. Adding something to my keys, just makes carrying my keys uncomfortable in my pocket. If anything, the keys can be a weapon in their own right.

I do carry a multitude of tools in my truck for emergency situations, much like Rogue, which can be used as weapons given a situation, but I do not carry a specific weapon (unless you count my super deadly Old Timer pocket knife LoL!).

Dr_Santo
7/13/2003 11:53pm,
I beleive as well, that hand are deadly enough, but here in my country, when you get into a fight, you fight with not one but many guys.
So i carry an extendable BATON just in case i face more than 1 guy.

Punisher
7/14/2003 12:01am,
"many blunt weapons are only truly effective by those who carry them and have studied with them."

What do you mean. Any asshole can kill someone with a stick, club, baseball bat, tire iron, hammer, or any blunt object that I can think of.

<marquee>Dragon , Snake , Tiger , Leopard , Crane. R.M.F.A.F.T.A.T.! </marquee>

Phoenix
7/14/2003 12:02am,
"Speaking of knives, whats the deal with switch blades? They are illegal, but I dont see the advantage that they present... there are plenty of knives that you flick open... and its almost the same. Am I wrong?"

You certainly are not wrong....there's another
flick-open' knife called a balisong (othewise known as a butterfly knife). To my knowledge,that's illegal also, however. Please correct me if I'm wrong, somebody.

ClintEQ
7/14/2003 12:06am,
Punisher: I didnt mean large bats or clubs, but smaller, more stick like weapons. They arent useless in the hands of someone who hasnt trained with them, obviously. But it is not like a gun, where someone can take your weapon and kill you with it instantly. They are far, far more effective in the hands of a profficent user. The same can be said for any weapon, but it is especially true in this case.

ClintEQ
7/14/2003 12:08am,
Oh, and I know plenty of guys with butterfly knives... they might be illegal though. Does anyone know?

Phoenix
7/14/2003 12:10am,
I know it's illegal in Canada (where I'm originally from). Likely, they're illegal in the UK as well, since Canada's laws are pretty much a carbon copy of the UK's laws.

Not too sure about the various other places in the US.

Fisting Kittens
7/14/2003 12:23am,
balisongs are illegal pretty much everywhere. sadness. I'm really good with one. I mean really really REALLY good with one. I used to spend every moment I was bored, playing with it and making up new aerials and passes and all kinds of ****. I probably have nearly as many man hours logged with my bali as I do in MA in general LOL.

---------
Shut up and train