PDA

View Full Version : I need your help

Pages : [1] 2

Quantum
7/07/2003 7:00pm,
I am 5'4'' and weight 160 pounds (no fat att all - 9% body fat, just heavy bones and some muscles).

1) What is the best MA for my body type ?
2) Why ?
3) How to face a "monster" ?

Thanks !!!

There is a thin line that separates geniality from crazyness.
After deep studies all I was able to do was to erase that line.

Jamoke
7/07/2003 7:04pm,
do you expect the experts on this forum to tell you, like boyd,or osiris?

here's some advice, go visit some shops in your area, travel a little if you have to, you know like a couple of county's over.

pick the one that you like, and the one that works for YOU. don't listen to the bozo's here.

you noticed how i didn't pick the art for YOU right. go out there and find it for yourself.

"When attacked insult, and insult to kill"

deus ex machina
7/07/2003 7:06pm,
1) Wrestling/Submission Grappling
2) Muscular&Short = Great Wrestling Attributes
3) Run.

~
danny

"That baby better watch his mouth. I rape kids like him as part of my warm-up for raping teenagers, grown men, and eventually charging rhinos." - Boyd

TheEdge883
7/07/2003 7:07pm,
1) Join the military
2) Cause you are taught to fight to kill.
3) DIs are monters, you can face him, you can face anyone.

deus ex machina
7/07/2003 7:07pm,
pick the one that you like, and the one that works for YOU. don't listen to the bozo's here.

You do realize that you included yourself in that statement. So by simple logic, he should not listen to you.

~
danny

"That baby better watch his mouth. I rape kids like him as part of my warm-up for raping teenagers, grown men, and eventually charging rhinos." - Boyd

Jamoke
7/07/2003 7:15pm,
"What is the best MA for my body type" ?

Hey duesh bag, i mean deus ex machina, notice i didn't answer his question like you did.

simple logic here duesh, fukk you.

Deadpan Scientist
7/07/2003 9:17pm,
3) Run.

heh, heh, heh

Deadpan Scientist
7/07/2003 9:18pm,
What area are you in? maybe someone can suggest a school

Mercurius
7/07/2003 9:24pm,
Jamoke's attention whoring aside, if I have everyone's permission, I'd like to render an opinion:

1) You sound short and stocky- Depending on what arts are available in your area, the styles that are going to best utilize this (in my opinion) are most likely boxing, judo and karate.

2) Boxing -- With a lot of mass in the trunk area and a strong lower body moving it, it won't be hard to generate power for punches. Judo -- Lifting power for takedowns/throws and a short height mean you can get in easily and do your business; although I say Judo, you can substitute wrestling, BJJ, etc. with equal efficiency. 3) Karate -- If you need to learn to fight and find a school that emphasizes sparring, you can learn to use karate to put hip rotation and leg power behind your punches, with the added bonus of also learning some kicks. Kyokushin and its offshoots are your best bets initially; if you're in it for the long haul, look for one of the less common Okinawan styles (Uechi-ryu, Goju-ryu, etc.)

3) Running, of course, is your best bet, but if your honor's at stake, you're protecting someone, or it's not life-or-death, and as a result you can or you have to fight, then employ two main strategies. First strategy: attack weak points and don't put your strength against his. Using your strength against his weakness, you can at least do some damage and stay in the fight. Second strategy: try to get him off of his feet. If you surprise him by successfully taking him down (don't risk too much in the attempt), you can apply a submission or get a chance to escape.

Quantum
7/07/2003 9:46pm,
Thanks for the advice !

As requested by some, this is my MA's background :
* 10 years of traditional hard-core karate
* 2 years (the last 2) of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

BTW, I live in Brazil.

There is a thin line that separates geniality from crazyness.
After deep studies all I was able to do was to erase that line.

Deadpan Scientist
7/07/2003 9:48pm,
What do you want to get out of martial arts?

deus ex machina
7/07/2003 9:48pm,
Well then, you're covered. =)

~
danny

Jamoke
7/07/2003 9:52pm,
mercurius- kiss my ass

CrimsonTiger
7/07/2003 10:30pm,
Dude, if you have 10-12 years of MA experience, why are you asking us?!?! LOL!

I'd say just add boxing/kickboxing to your skill set. You'll adapt quickly with your karate skills (hopefully, unless you're Mr. Shotokan)

Jamoke, why wouldn't he ask for help? Why reinvent the wheel with each person? You can't tell them what's right and wrong for them, but you can explain strengths and weaknesses that they may not know. If they just go out and look around, they suffer from the various clubs spreading their own propaganda and bashing all the others. Here we have no real vested interest in what school they join.

Regards,
CrimsonTiger

"Good is the enemy of Great" - T-shirt seen on Queen Street, Toronto

Phrost
7/07/2003 10:31pm,
If you've done hard core traditional Karate, you should be in pretty good physical condition. Check. If you're doing BJJ, you've got some ground game. Check.

If it were me, I'd work on some freestyle wrestling and Judo. BJJ's not well known for its takedowns. Also, make sure you're not wearing the Gi all the time.

But hell, if you're in Brazil, I'd learn some Capoeira as well, unless you're just focussing on fighting in Vale Tudo matches. If anything, it'll help you pick up on women at the very least.

Jamoke
7/07/2003 11:39pm,
hey crimson, i'd agree with that. good points