PDA

View Full Version : MY NEW DOJO! (BJJ, JKD and FMA):

9chambers
7/03/2003 9:11pm,
I went in as a visitor tonight at this dojo that I've had my eye on here in town. (I started working in my chosen field last month so now I have the money and time to get involved in a formal dojo type setting again) They teach a mix of Brazilian Jiu Juitsu, Jeet Kune Do and Filipino Martial Arts. I was really impressed. It's a good school.

Knives:

Wouldn't you know it, we practiced knife fighting today. A bit ironic, huh? I did pretty well. We didn't practice any dissarms, just knife vs knife. It was cool though. It was a good group of guys. After class I asked the instructor what he thought of striking dissarms and so he gave me the speech about how the first thing you should do is run or look for a weapon or your own. That was really smart of him considering that it was my first time there. Him being an FMA guy I wanted to know what he thought about some things but I guess we will get to that later. I didn't ask him if he advocated teen girls with knives. :P

BJJ:

The BJJ portion of the class was really cool. They let me roll with them. They mixed in a little striking but not too much. It's mainly a BJJ class with JKD as the supplimental striking and kicking. They also add kali, escrima and things. Hah, I am taking FMA now, hope that makes kuya and everyone happy. :)

Anyway, I had a really good time. It was a lot of fun and I am going to join up later this month. I want to get some gear and save up a little money first. I am finally going to get ranked in something. I get to compete in grappling once I feel like I am in shape enough. I'm pretty excited about it!

>> Perhaps it was because I had an inherent skill for the science and never deviated from natural principles. - Miyamoto Musashi 1643

FingerorMoon?
7/03/2003 9:49pm,
Sounds like a cool place.

--------
El Guapo says, ""You can buy muscles, but you can't buy COJONES!"
--------

Boyd
7/03/2003 10:04pm,
Learning knife fighting is handy if you're going up against Bill the Butcher.

http://seanbaby.com/nes/awards/bdintro.gif

Sparti
7/03/2003 10:05pm,
That's awesome 9chambers! Keep us posted with your training... You should be able to test some of the skills you've developed over the years.

I'm still looking for a place to train.. :( I work nights 4pm-12am. Most places only train in the evenings... But... I should be switching back to days in a few months. :)

deus ex machina
7/03/2003 10:06pm,
Or if you're Leonardo Dicaprio. I always wanted to shank that ************.

~
danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"

deus ex machina
7/03/2003 10:20pm,
Hey 9chambers, no hard feelings yeah? I'm glad you're having fun.

~
danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"

JKDChick
7/03/2003 11:11pm,
Great combo, 9. That's what I do too.

"Oh ****, it was the other Osiris, The Wastrel." -- patfromlogan

9chambers
7/04/2003 12:27am,
Sparti,

Yea, I worked nights for a while, then a swing-shift for a year. It's tough trying to have a life outside of work and sleep in that situation. It's cool that you are going to be on days soon. I hope you get to do the things you really want to do soon.

deus,

Hard feelings, heck no. You are awesome. I had fun in those threads. It was cool to get everyone up in arms and have some action going on in here again. It had been a while since I caused any trouble. I know knives are dangerous. You guys made a lot of good points. I was just trying to stick to my guns and bring out some different sides of issues. I'm always up for a good debate.

JKDChick,

Thanks! I'm pretty happy about it too. Its a great school, especially for here in Indiana. The instructor is really good. According to his web page: He is a certified senior instructor of Jeet Kune Do and Filipino Martial arts under Paul Vunak. He also teaches, trains and competes in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. He holds a brown belt (faixa marrom) under Wellington "Megaton" Diaz, a 3rd degree black belt representative of Rickson Gracie. He was a member of the 1996 United States Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu team, and also competes for Team Megaton. Over the years, he has competed regionally, nationally and internationally. He has competed as a USA representative in both the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu World Championships (the Mundial) and Pan American Games. He took third at the 2001 Pan Am and first at the 2000 Pro Am. Recently, he won gold at the Master International World Championships in Rio De Janerio. Jack is also a second degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do and a black belt in Hapkido.

He's also a really nice guy that runs his class very well. I like him. The school is a good group of guys. There was one girl there, I think it was the instructor's wife. She was pretty cool. A Mom came in with her daughter and sat and watched. I think she was checking the class out to see if it was okay for her daughter.

Edited by - 9chambers on July 04 2003 00:32:36