PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU determine which art is for you?

Pages : [1] 2

Jamoke
7/01/2003 7:24pm,
Do you determine this by watching or "sitting in" on some classes. Or asking the instructor if you can participate?

Hands on VS. evaluating something without getting in the trenches and trying it, seeing and feeling if it works for YOU.

How can you determine anything by watching for a few sessions. I can't wait to hear the excuses why "watching" is best.

"When attacked insult, and insult to kill"

Gezere
7/01/2003 7:55pm,
You really are not going to know unless you DO. Who the hell would say WATCHING is best!?!?! IS THEY STUPID? It like swimming. You can watch all the strokes you want but until you actualy get in the pool and try it you don't know what will work for you.

______
Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!!
THE TRUE FIST OF THE NORTHSTAR!!
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/2657/hyaku.gif

deus ex machina
7/01/2003 8:02pm,
Here's what I do:

Listen to what Jamoke says.

Do exactly the opposite.

~
danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"

Jamoke
7/01/2003 8:48pm,
you better listen to what jamoke says, he knows best. hey duesh, thanks for your input. i hope everybody follows your advice.

Jamoke
7/01/2003 8:51pm,
hey duesh, here, now you do the exact opposite of what i am going to tell you to do.

do not put your pink belt around your neck and hang yourself from a wooden dummy.

PizDoff
7/01/2003 8:52pm,
funny!
that time it didn't seem to me you were screaming for once Jamoke

"I can't wait to hear the excuses why "watching" is best."
*Stupid voice*
You can see it from a different angle!
You can laugh at their X-blocks.
You can go to sleep.
You can rest while they train then ask to spar them at the end of class when they are tired so you can beat them in.

--
Hard work, Patience, Dedication.
http://www.fightauthority.com/

Omega Supreme
7/01/2003 8:55pm,
LOL, that was good Jamoke.

Go away I'm talking to myself

Sensei Mak
7/02/2003 3:40am,
Here's what I do:

Listen to what Jamoke says.

Do exactly the opposite.

hahaha...got a good laugh there

but in seriousness i think you have to do what you enjoy obviously. When you were growin up and you played video games did you like the quick guy with low damage or the slow guy who was really strong? Its kinda like that. I would consistantly pick a quick guy in video games and so naturally when i went to martial arts i wanted to train things that would focus on speed rather than brute strength. Hopefully this makes sense. Its all just going with your preference.

SLJ
7/02/2003 4:25am,
I always prefered the middle guy really, medium speed and medium strength.

----------------------------------------------------------
Space may be the final frontier,
But it's made in a Hollywood basement.

Dochter
7/02/2003 10:27am,
I want to be a ninja.

Actually I think it makes sense to maybe watch one or part of one class and then participate in another before making any choices. This may prove helpful as Piz said you can see techniques from different angles (I find its always good to step back and watch once in awhile). Also watching for a little bit may give you a better idea for the spectrum of things taught in the class. Often senior students and lower ranked ones are doing completely different things for different reasons, it can be helpful to watch the whole spectrrum. After that I agree to jump right in.

My single chopstick is bad at serving soup, cutting steaks and basting roasts and chickens. Besides that it owns.

Edited by - Dochter on July 02 2003 12:44:03

cyrijl
7/02/2003 11:03am,
i watched BJJ (cause i had no idea) and then joined the second class...in krav i just joined the first class....and i'm still in pain

Zujitsu Ka
7/02/2003 11:18am,
I would recommend watching a class or two than taking one. I know in my dojo I hardly ever do the same class consecutively. maybe a continuation but... I always suggest to someone to determine what their goals are. I perosnally recommend a well rounded system. Karate/Ju Jitsu combo is always self-defense effective.

Balloonknot
7/02/2003 11:36am,
I recommend participating in the class. If someone wants to watch a class first and then participate in the next one, that's fine too.

Also, there are other things to consider like, if you don't want to wrestle around on the ground with sweaty hairy men (unless that's your thing) then obviously you don't want to do BJJ or Judo. Or if you mainly interested in learning hand skills like punching, deflecting, footwork, and trapping you might like Wing Chun or maybe Boxing.

Scrotumlock
7/02/2003 1:16pm,
If you're asking about determining which art is for you, one would assume this to be a person with no training at all or very out of touch with what they can do or would like. In this case of course you'd go watch first. How would you know what they even do without watching? The big thing here is not to waste your time; better to watch for 30 mins and realize you'd never like style X than to go through whatever it takes to do the class, spend 1-2 hours, and figure out 30 minutes into it that you've wasted 2 days worth of effort calling, talking about what's expected, getting dressed, and all that.

Maybe boxing sounds great to you, but after 5 minutes worth of listening to people's faces get smacked and seeing blood and spit dripping, you'd change your mind. Better for a rank amateur to do it from outside than by stepping onto a mat and getting something broken only to hear "oh sorry, I thought you knew what I was going to do". Of course if you've already trained and have exposure to different styles, you probably could just try it out cold turkey with no harm done. It depends on your background. Either way you'd try it before actually joining, it just wise in some cases to scout out the activites before jumping in blind.

Balloonknot
7/02/2003 1:26pm,
good point scrotum

IndoChinese
7/02/2003 11:17pm,
you should first determine your purpose for martial arts training.

fitness?
competition?
exhibition?
self defense?
bloodsport?

peace.

<marquee>REDANTKUNTAO</marquee>
<marquee> INDONESIAN GUNG FU</marquee>