PDA

View Full Version : Shin pad recommendations?

Pages : [1] 2

deus ex machina
7/01/2003 2:01am,
Anyone? I don't need anything top of the line. Just something durable with enough padding so I'm not screaming in pain everytime I block a kick with my leg.

~
danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"

Phoenix
7/01/2003 2:13am,
Century sells some pretty good shin pads and shin/instep pads at a reasonable price.

Might be worthwhile to check them out.

"Everybody knows...if the police have to chase you down, they're brining an ass kicking with them". - Chris Rock

m4949
7/01/2003 7:22am,
Pro Force, sold By Asain World of Martial Arts. www.awma.com
Basically the same as Century.

Your skills are EXTRAordinary; You have our Gratitude.

Simps
7/01/2003 7:54am,
Or you can be a man about it and stop whining ..

No pain, no gain ...

Simps

CrimsonTiger
7/01/2003 9:54am,
That's right, hush up and endure the numbing, agonizing pain that will result in lower limb deficiencies down the road (including vericose veins and other circulatory problems). *rolls eyes*

I have the BOES shin-pads (I think they're BOES), which are basically a heavy foam in leather with leather-velcro straps. They seem to be holding up great despite my misgivings when I saw the strap stitching. They protect me just fine, but I'm stiil getting my power into my kicks so that my partners are feeling the hits (i.e. concentrated strikes, bruises, etc.) This is a good thing because the pads don't seem to compromise the "reality" of my training.

www.canbox.ca is where I got mine...but it's a Canadian site. Not sure if they have an american version, but you can look up the info there.

Regards,
CrimsonTiger

"This place has a lot of potential."
"Yeah! Man, it's a HO-asis!" - 2 Fast 2 Furious

Edited by - CrimsonTiger on July 01 2003 09:57:38

Simps
7/01/2003 9:58am,
I find that wearing shin pads severely hampers my ability to spar. Besides, if you like blocking with your shins, try rolling the kick off, instead of meeting it head on.

The only thing I have on my shins are some long thick sock, with the foot cut off so they fit over my shins. it protects the skin, because I hate bleeding all over the place, but not much more then that.

Simps

shotokan
7/01/2003 10:08am,
I find that wearing shin pads severely hampers my ability to spar. Besides, if you like blocking with your shins, try rolling the kick off, instead of meeting it head on.

The only thing I have on my shins are some long thick sock, with the foot cut off so they fit over my shins. it protects the skin, because I hate bleeding all over the place, but not much more then that.

Simps

"Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital" -A. Levenstein-

Can you give me some info on how to roll the kick?

gojuJKDdude
7/01/2003 2:08pm,
Revgear makes great affordable shin/instep guards.

Groganer
7/01/2003 2:21pm,
How about Muscle? I hear that muscle is a great pad. Alternatively, you could eat a lot of Oreos. I hear transfatty acids build up nicely along the shins.

Phrost
7/01/2003 2:24pm,
I get mine from Ringside.

Omega Supreme
7/01/2003 5:04pm,
My god, except for Phrost I think you're all idiots. Muscle is good for padding, Century blows, AWMA is right behind them. Ultra Lites from Revgear are great, Ring side is okay but their instep doesn't attach (at least what I've seen) Actually there are some solid pairs that retail out @$70 that some Muay Thai schools use.

Go away I'm talking to myself

HAPKO3
7/01/2003 5:07pm,
I'm using the basic RevGear shin pads, and don't have any compaints.

I assume that they must be pretty cheap, since I got them for free when I joined my KM school.

------------------------
I remain, Hapko3

deus ex machina
7/01/2003 5:09pm,
http://www.yamatodamashiiichizoku.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=27

Thoughts?

~
danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"

Phrost
7/01/2003 10:18pm,
These are the exact ones I have:

http://www.ringside.com/store/images/SIG.GIF
http://www.ringside.com/store/prodinfo.asp?number=ISIG%20B&variation=&aitem=17&m item=61

The padding is so-so, but they're cheap. That's about all I need for instep protection when I'm sparring. Right now I'm not flexible enough to do head kicks (I used to be, but god knows where it went) so the hardest thing I'll hit is an elbow (and if I start doing that regularly I'll get some better pads.)

But the main reason I got them (aside from them being cheap) is that I live 20 minutes or so from Ringside's world headquarters and distribution center. I'm an instant gratification kind of shopper.

Omega Supreme
7/01/2003 11:36pm,
http://www.yamatodamashiiichizoku.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=27

Thoughts?

Those are great! Get them. Even the retail price is sort of low. Oh and Phrost, I hate those because the instep is floppy and you have to tape them down.

Omega Supreme
7/01/2003 11:37pm,
I'm using the basic RevGear shin pads, and don't have any compaints.

I assume that they must be pretty cheap, since I got them for free when I joined my KM school.

------------------------
I remain, Hapko3

Those retail at $49