PDA

View Full Version : If someone shoots for the legs, I'll just knee him

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Pandinha
6/30/2003 7:11pm,
BULLSHIT!

You are at the bar. Guy starts **** with you. You grab your nuts and tell him to **** off.

He shoots in. You, have been drinking. You, still have your hand on your nuts, You, still have that stupid cocky smile on your face, You, cannot make a split second decision to chamber your knee and get this guy as he's shooting in. Sorry... Can't be done. You won't be expecting it. Too many variables in a Real Fight to consider.

Thoughts. Is I right, or is I wrong?

==================
"When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado

Nihilanthic
6/30/2003 7:18pm,
even if you do knee its not guaranteed to work. And you time it to when they step and plant, or fake them out.

Or shoot lower... *shrugs*

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
<John> I'd have to smack you sometime...

Fisting Kittens
6/30/2003 7:19pm,
well I, for one, never mouth off in a bar unless I'm prepared to fight. I also wouldn't be grapping my nuts if a guy is pissed at me, I'd be prepared. Second of all, I don't like the knee defense anyway. Always attempt teh guillotine first. If you can't get it (and I think I can, especially in a bar situation) you hold on tight and drop back into a modified tomonage. Works better than the sprawl. I know some of you will doubt me, but its been tested on some of those roid head wrestling bastards I share floor space with. Works better than the sprawl. Especially if they have more mass than you.

But anyway. No I don't think the knee response will be effective.

---------
Shut up and train

maximus
6/30/2003 7:43pm,
That's a pretty limited defense. i have been kneed several times while shooting in and unless you are very accurate and fast it is noyhing more than an annoyance. Just learn to fight on the ground and save yourself 6 months in a cast.

Phoenix
6/30/2003 7:54pm,
I'd just try for the ole "One Two"....

Just quickly nail him in the nose with a jab, then, when he's stunned, follow up with a cross right across the jaw. That should drop him, or at least buy you some time or at least some distance.

Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated. - Geroge Bernard Shaw

FingerorMoon?
6/30/2003 8:02pm,
Yup you are correct.
When leaning on a bar and grabbing your crotch MikeyB style, it is very difficult to stop someone shooting in.

--------
El Guapo says, ""You can buy muscles, but you can't buy COJONES!"
--------

Boyd
6/30/2003 8:06pm,
While I agree that knees probably aren't the best defense against a double-leg (I've never had a chance to try anything but the sprawl, so I'm going entirely on the experience of others), your scenario's pretty off. We still live in an America where there's pretty much two martial arts: boxing and Generic-ryu karate/TKD. The chances of you fighting someone with a good enough background in grappling to pull off a competent double-leg is outweighed by the probability of the guy clumsily trying to tackle your waist. Furthermore--and I know I'm gonna catch hell for this, but that doesn't make it any less true--just randomly shooting in on someone in a crowded bar has a high probability of you getting pulled off the guy before you can do any real damage. Besides, if the reason you couldn't knee him was because he's too fast for you, hat makes you think you'd be able to sprawl? You're adding in extra variables that unfairly put the reader at a disadvantage.

http://seanbaby.com/nes/awards/bdintro.gif

Pandinha
6/30/2003 8:14pm,
Boyd...

You are missing the point then. There is nothing unfair in a fight. There are so many variables in a fight, NO ONE could predict them.

I asked a question in first person. This question was brought about by reading a stud Standup TMA boy on sherdog talk about taking a grappler out in a real world scenario.

YOU NEVER KNOW what that person is capable of, and once it starts, be prepared for everything.

I got owned pretty hard this weekend by Omega, who weighs about 70lbs LESS than me, and if I saw him walking around the bar would think nothing of him being the bad ass that he is.

I just don't understand ppl who post that they can predict variables in a fight. You can't. That's why we train, to have more variables on our side than the others.

</end rant>

==================
"When we go to the ground, you are in my world. The ground is the ocean, I am the shark, and most people don't even know how to swim." RCJ Machado

Phoenix
6/30/2003 8:16pm,
"There is nothing unfair in a fight. There are so many variables in a fight, NO ONE could predict them."

Preach on, AA!!

Dochter
6/30/2003 8:23pm,
While you certainly can tell very little from just looking at someone in a bar (reason one for not starting **** in bars, reason two is you're undoubtadely going to cause me to spill my beer) I'd agree with Boyd that your scenario is rather unlikely. That being said if you're both drunk wouldn't both techniques be operating at the same level of compotency? also drunk the shot might be pisspoor, better allowing the knee.

I'd probably end up on my back either way...

My single chopstick is bad at serving soup, cutting steaks and basting roasts and chickens. Besides that it owns.

Boyd
6/30/2003 8:23pm,
Re-reading your post, I understand your point now. You were saying that the idea of applying a blanket solution to a multifarious problem. Okay, I agree with that. I ORIGINALLY thought you were saying "knees won't work because grapplers as a whole are too fast".

http://seanbaby.com/nes/awards/bdintro.gif

Gezere
6/30/2003 8:33pm,
Didn't we have this disscussion!?!?!?!

NOW STFU!!!! BIITCHES!!!!

(translation: Hi how have you guys been? BIITCHES!!!)

______
Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!!
THE TRUE FIST OF THE NORTHSTAR!!
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/2657/hyaku.gif

BlackBeltNow
6/30/2003 10:03pm,
I'd just try for the ole "One Two"....

Just quickly nail him in the nose with a jab, then, when he's stunned, follow up with a cross right across the jaw. That should drop him, or at least buy you some time or at least some distance.

not if ur taken down... 9/10 times a werstler will beat a boxer

Do Be Open-minded
Don't Be Gullible

GenkiSudo
6/30/2003 10:52pm,
sprawl then knee

Mercurius
6/30/2003 11:02pm,
not if ur taken down... 9/10 times a werstler(sic) will beat a boxer

Right, because strikers must stand absolutely still and allow themselves to be taken down when confronted by a grappler, as a stark contrast to their behavior when faced with other strikers.

Further, all fights must submit to Rickson Gracie's Law of Unarmed Combat, namely, that 95% of all fights end up on the ground (it is further conjectured that the remaining 5% of fights are either boxing matches or take place in midair).

Also, strikers are patently prohibited from adapting their stand-up skills to evading and escaping grappling situations and must instead attempt to use what feeble grappling skill they may have when taken down and attacked by a grappler. Jesus, don't you people know anything?

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Jun/20036303784386087296150.jpg
Flame on, thread!

HAPKO3
7/01/2003 12:21am,
Actually, as a boxer, I'm afraid I must agree with black belt now, at least to a point. A "pure" boxer, just like any "pure" striker is damn easy to take down, because their fighting strategy does not incorporate takedown defence. This has been shown to be true by countless taped fights.

However, give the boxer a crash course in takedown defence, and his chances will skyrocket.

------------------------
I remain, Hapko3