PDA

View Full Version : The great thing about BOXING

Pages : [1] 2

Combatman
6/30/2003 12:43pm,
It's realistic in that you take and dish out real blows.
It actually teaches a valid stance and defense.
Combined with a few "dirty" tactics/grappling, it'a about as good as it gets.
It teaches you the meaning of pain.
It's battle-tested in the bars, streets, etc.
It has a long track record in Western society.
Unless ur a pro there's no ranks, belts, etc. ...and never any useless katas.
Shadowboxing actually helps build ur skills.
It teaches you bone crushing punches and how best to implement them.
Although "dirty tactics" are banned in the ring, they're free game in the street.
And best of all....IT WORKS!!!!

cyrijl
6/30/2003 12:45pm,
but you need some leg work as well as grappling...at least some kick defenses. Even if you don't kick you need to know how to be prepared to defend against them...Also boxing needs clinch fighting and defense against takedowns

Omega Supreme
6/30/2003 12:50pm,
Eh **** boxing.

You fucking newb

bwhahahahhaa

welcome to bullshido.

Go away I'm talking to myself

drunkenj
6/30/2003 12:56pm,
how exactly does one box when they are on their back on the floor getting an arm ripped off?
some good points though boxing does teach you how to punch fucking hard and fast. Although boxers stances tend to be a bit too side on, behind the jab and thus the lead leg is vulnerable to big thai kicks and mma shoots

Combatman
6/30/2003 12:59pm,
Boxing is not totally complete you need defenses against grapplers, etc. as well as other strikes such as those from the Fairbairn/Applegate school, etc. Overall, boxing works very well, nothing is better than seeing that first look on a punk's face after that jab hits him square between the eyes, then the look of melted cheese as he sinks to the ground after the right cross.

cyrijl
6/30/2003 1:04pm,
yeah and when i hit a boxer with my dim mak technique he'll die and i'll just have a broken nose

Boyd
6/30/2003 2:18pm,
Overall, boxing works very well, nothing is better than seeing that first look on a punk's face after that jab hits him square between the eyes, then the look of melted cheese as he sinks to the ground after the right cross.

YEAH! **** YEAH! RARRRRRGH! *tears off shirt* *pauses momentarily, then tears off pants*

http://seanbaby.com/nes/awards/bdintro.gif

CrimsonTiger
6/30/2003 3:41pm,
AUGH!

*cowers behind Osiris* "You take him! That's more your specialty, isn't it hat-boy?"

Regards,
CrimsonTiger

"This place has a lot of potential."
"Yeah! Man, it's a HO-asis!" - 2 Fast 2 Furious

Nihilanthic
6/30/2003 4:19pm,
Boxing is a great drill for anyone. No its not complete, but its a definite improvement for a lot of the way some people train.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
<John> I'd have to smack you sometime...

HAPKO3
6/30/2003 4:57pm,
I would say that a year or two of boxing would very much benefit most people. What I've found in my studies of martial arts is that a lot of martial artsists and instructors think they know boxing, and even speak in boxing temrs (slipping, bobbing and weaving, etc) but don't do it right.

The time I've spent in boxing (a couple of years) has given me a lot of skills that I use on a regular basis when i spar, and made me a much better fighter.

------------------------
I remain, Hapko3

Omar
6/30/2003 5:08pm,
There's not just the grappling problem. Leg kicks anyone? If I have to fight a boxer, I'm chopping out his foundation.

BAH ! Puny Humans !

Combatman
6/30/2003 5:11pm,
Just don't get caught with a right hand or left hook as ur trying that kick.

Omar
6/30/2003 5:13pm,
What are you talking about. Leg kisck don't require you to move your hands away from your face. You don't have to open anything up if you don't want to. That's the beauty of them.

BAH ! Puny Humans !

Boyd
6/30/2003 5:39pm,
Also, why would I be trying to kick you if I'm in punching range?

HAPKO3
6/30/2003 5:54pm,
Just in case you didn't know, the kicking range is the hardest to maintain while fighting. That is, if one of the fighters wants to close, there's pretty much nothing his oponent can do to maintain effective kicking distance.

Every semi-serious amateur boxer that I've seen will beat the living piss out of most stand up martial artists with surprising ease. Especially those, who think that leg kicks are going to be a solution. Anyone can take a single leg kick and keep going, and you're not gonna get more than one of them in as the boxer closes.

Trying to stay away and kick the legs is a sure recepie for suicide. The real weakness of boxers is the clinch and grappling range. That is, you need to close the distance as fast as you can, eating whatever damage he deals out as you close, and take away his footing and balance. If you do that, you are playing on your own playing field. If you can take him down, that's even better.

------------------------
I remain, Hapko3

Boyd
6/30/2003 8:18pm,
Every semi-serious amateur boxer that I've seen will beat the living piss out of most stand up martial artists with surprising ease. Especially those, who think that leg kicks are going to be a solution. Anyone can take a single leg kick and keep going, and you're not gonna get more than one of them in as the boxer closes.

In my (admittedly limited) experience, I've found the kicking range to be the easiest. I suck at close range, but everyone I've fought knows that if they stick in close and wail on me for too long, they're gonna get taken down. Thus, a lot of hit-and-run. Thus, a lot of opportunities to kick out the legs.