PDA

View Full Version : UK self defence law?

MMA_Phil
6/26/2003 8:01am,
Does anybody know any good, reliable sites detailing information of the law relating to self defence in the UK?
I can't find any.

Thanks.

SLJ
6/26/2003 8:08am,
Sorry Phil, all I know is that they're a joke!

----------------------------------------------------------
Space may be the final frontier,
But it's made in a Hollywood basement.

Escrima9
6/26/2003 8:14am,
http://www.bsdgb.co.uk/lawnav.htm

I have only briefly read this site but it seems to have a lot of the common stuff.

"reasonable force under the circumstances"

However, is really vague. I consider pretty much anything reasonable if I'm being attacked by someone with a weapon untill the point of restraint or knock out. If I then proceeded to jump up and down on the guy's skull or use his own weapon on him, that would be unreasonable.

Once the attacker (realises his going to have his ass kicked) runs away, if you go after him its normally seen as unreasonable.

In Palmer12Lord Morris said:

"If there has been an attack so that the defence is reasonably necessary, it will be recognised that a person defending himself cannot weigh to a nicety the exact measure of his necessary defensive action. If a jury thought that in a moment of unexpected anguish a person attacked had only done what he honestly and instinctively thought was necessary that would be most potent evidence that only reasonable defensive action had been taken."

This is important especially if you used a pre-emptive strike. When talking to the police you must say words to the effect, "in all honesty I believed he was about to hit me", the conviction/belief that your hitting them prevented them hitting you is difficult to prove. I'm not sure if them having a weapon changes this any.

Personally I think the law needs looking at.

sanchin
6/26/2003 10:19am,
I believe your response to an attack must be proportionate to the amount of violence used against you. So if someone attacks you with a knife and you hit them over the head with a golf club you happened to have to hand, that's probably ok, but if they just shoved you and you did the same, you could be in trouble.

SamHarber
6/26/2003 11:02am,
I know a copper who trains the police (several different forces) in self defence and awareness, he has said on several occasions that there is nothing defined in law as to what is appropriate, so it is left to each individual trial to determine what is/isn't appropriate.
As a rule of thumb, if you defend yourself with equal force you'll probably be ok.

Choke
6/26/2003 11:47am,
If it's possible try not to paralize, disfigure, or kill your assailant. Try not to break more than one limb. Try to keep the visible, long lasting injuries to a minimum.

Ending a situation cleanly is probably the number one reason to learn some grappling, IMHO.

Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!

MMA_Phil
6/26/2003 1:43pm,
"If it's possible try not to paralize, disfigure, or kill your assailant. Try not to break more than one limb. Try to keep the visible, long lasting injuries to a minimum."

What! Not even a little bit of killing?
Damn, the police really are strict.

Choke
6/26/2003 1:51pm,
I know ::sniff, sniff::

Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!