PDA

View Full Version : The Most Useless Martial Art

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Bolverk
6/09/2003 3:59pm,
I would have to say, from my limited experience, that he most useless Martial Art is the one you don't practice, regardless of style.

Conversely, the most usefull Martial Art is the one your opponent does not take seriously. In other words, if you think the style someone else studies is useless, and you don't take that style seriously, then you will not take your opponent seriously. This is usually the opponent who will beat you, or better allow you to beat yourself.

Sincerely,

Knowing it is not enough, we must apply.
Willing is not enough, we must do.

Edited by - Bolverk on June 09 2003 15:59:59

Kungfoolss
6/09/2003 4:02pm,
I would have to say, from my limited experience, that he most useless Martial Art is the one you don't practice, regardless of style.

Conversely, the most usefull Martial Art is the one your opponent does not take seriously. In other words, if you think the style someone else studies is useless, and you don't take that style seriously, then you will not take your opponent seriously. This is usually the opponent who will beat you, or better allow you to beat yourself.

I'm not sure I follow the logic of this, but unless he tells you what he does, how are you ever going to know and why would you even care? Seems a bit silly to me.

Bolverk
6/09/2003 4:07pm,
I suppose that would be true from a street fight perspective. But, most of the people I spar with are not on the street, and I know what style they study.

I guess what I am really trying to say is simple, which is probably why you don't get it. If you are disrespecting or generalizing on a persons style, calling it crap and thinking yours is superior, it will likely be your downfall. If you take that person and their style seriously, then you will probably have a superior, and probably victorious, match.

I guess I am aiming at people who always bad mouth one style or another. It always reminds me of bad Kung Foo movies. And I can not think of anything more irrating then that.

Sincerely,

Edited by - Bolverk on June 09 2003 16:20:57

Phoenix
6/09/2003 4:14pm,
Well, I don't know what the worst martial art is, nor would I be audacious enough to cut down another martial art that I haven't taken the time to learn about.

But I will say that the BEST martial art is whatever works for you.

The best won victory is that obtained without bloodshed - Bushido proverb

Beatdown Richie
6/09/2003 4:19pm,
LOL @ Osiris. If you can't see how your beatdown would hurt, you need to make it a little more severe ;-)

In my (very limited) experience, I fare better if I assume that I am least at good as my opponent. It gives me confidence to do what I'm good at doing, and not worry that he'll whoop my ass if I make a mistake. I also run into fewer traps if I'm more relaxed.

Bolverk
6/09/2003 4:27pm,
I like your answer Rising Phoenix. It is wrong to call another Marial Art the worst, it is not wrong to say it does not work for you. And you are right on the Best Martial Art also.

The vast majority of the Martial Arts out there have the same roots, and have many similar techniques. Some fancy using the legs more, some the hands. There is only one Martial Art that I have read about where the techniques and training are 100% compatible with another school that teaches the same style, and that is Judo. The rest have been modified from school to school, or from organization to organization. So for anyone to think that their Martial Art is 100% unique is a falacy. And since they are not 100% unique, and all come from basically the same lineage, one can not be superior to the other in every way. The only variable in the whole equation is the fighter.

Sincerely,

Phoenix
6/09/2003 4:29pm,
I couldn't have put it better myself, Bolverk.

It's the warrior, not his weapons.

SifuAbel
6/09/2003 4:31pm,
The moral of this story?

Don't peg ANYONE for a sucker.

JKDChick
6/09/2003 4:33pm,
KungFuDOesWOrk!
You're back!

"Oh ****, it was the other Osiris, The Wastrel." -- patfromlogan

Kuroneko
6/09/2003 4:35pm,
Peedee got punked out by Shi Yan Ming.

Tell me more please... what happened?

Bolverk
6/09/2003 4:51pm,
I really like your moral to the story KungFuDoesWork. Always the wise approach.

Sincerely,

deus ex machina
6/09/2003 5:47pm,
There are martial arts that work, and martial arts that don't. There are arts that are better than others. Period.

~
danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"

Stold3
6/09/2003 5:53pm,
Any martial art that has no form of sparring = worst

Any martial art that includes no rules full contact sparring = best

HAPKO3
6/09/2003 5:56pm,
How many times are we gonna go through the same old "it's not the art, it's the fighter" bullshit?

This is old, beaten to death, and incorrect.

Can't you people come up with something new to talk about for god's sake?

------------------------
I remain, Hapko3

Omen Stone
6/09/2003 5:57pm,
no

"You know the good part about all those executions in Texas? Fewer Texans."-George Carlin

Phoenix
6/09/2003 5:59pm,
"Can't you people come up with something new to talk about for god's sake?"

Do you have any suggestions?