PDA

View Full Version : Sosa

Pages : [1] 2

JKDChick
6/07/2003 3:11am,
I just had to get this out:

1. It's been common knowledge amongst major league pitchers that Sosa's been corking for a few years now. I know actual baseball players, who pitch and play in the majors. Everyone there has known this for years.

2. People don't understand that the point of corking a bat isn't to give it "spring" -- it's to shave off a couple of ounces of weight. That increases swing speed, obviously.

3. He'd only have a couple (at the most) corked bats at any time. It's an obvious alteration and you'd never have too many at once.

4. Any major league hitter who claims they do not INSTANTLY know how much a bat weighs when they pick it up is lying. Pure and simple.

5. He had over 1/2 an hour (he was ejected two innings before the inspection). He had tonnes of time to get rid of any other corked bats.

6. He's an asshole; **** him and his stupid little poses and steps aftter he hits a home run. I'd like one of these showboat pussies to go up against someone like Bob Gibson. They'd have brain-damage so fast ...

"I'm willing to bet I could **** up an emu real good, if I got the drop on the bastard."
-- KC Elbows, my new hero.

tombot
6/07/2003 4:01am,
1. Interesting. I wasn't aware of that.

2. Yep.

3. Yep.

4. Yep.

5. Yep.

6. I don't know if he is an asshole or not, but those poses and gestures bug me. I never understood why people actually like it. It always kinda makes me cringe.

The Wastrel
6/07/2003 7:43am,
In general, I despise pro athletes.

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

PizDoff
6/07/2003 8:34am,
jealousy perhaps?

enough of Sosa! BEAT HIM WITH A CORK!!!!
1. I've heard stuff like that....
but no reliable sources

baseball is boring anyways

--
Hard work, Patience, Dedication.

"in final closing look yourselves in the mirror and you might see yourself." Posted by big buck - June 05 2003

The Wastrel
6/07/2003 8:38am,
Jealousy? No.

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

PizDoff
6/07/2003 8:42am,
sure....

imo baseball players get paid WAY too much to be fat...

--

"in final closing look yourselves in the mirror and you might see yourself." Posted by big buck - June 05 2003

Omen Stone
6/07/2003 10:48am,
I hate baseball I think it's stupid sport.

"You know the good part about all those executions in Texas? Fewer Texans."-George Carlin

Vargas
6/07/2003 11:34am,
I don't mind the pro athletes that are good human beings. The other 99.9% I pretty much loathe, though, almost as much as I loathe the idiots who buy the over-priced merchandise and WAAAAY over-priced game tickets. I've only known and competed against one high-school athlete who made it to the pros (Carl Pickins, receiver for the Bengals). He was, without a doubt, the most arrogant dumbass I've ever encountered in sports. Great athlete, but pretty dismal in the mental and personality departments.

So, for this and all other sports scandals, I pay it the 20 seconds of contemplation it deserves and then I continue thinking about important stuff, like not forgetting my wife's birthday in two days. High salary athletes are like rockstars and other celebs, the normal rules don't apply to them. How many pro athletes have been slapped on the wrist for offenses that would get a normal person thrown in jail for at least a decade? Screw Sosa and all the other ****-heads making millions for acting like spoiled teenagers. And no, it's not jealousy. I wouldn't trade what I do for what Sosa does in a hundred years. I'm just tired of logging on to news websites or turning on the TV and being bombarded with all the whining and blatant money-grubbing that we're supposed to admired, as if being a paid athlete is some kind of mind-boggling feat, right up there with brain surgery and international diplomacy. Christ, he's being paid obscene amounts of money to play a fucking GAME! As for the money, sure, I'd like to be paid more. But I try not to be a cry-baby about that kind of stuff. I mean, how much is enough for those guys? Like Sparky Anderson said, what the hell do they do with money after the first million, eat it?

"Go cry about it Vargas. Aren't you late for your shift at McDonald's?"

Edited by - Vargas on June 07 2003 11:36:01

The Wastrel
6/07/2003 11:35am,
And there you go Pizdoff. Same goes for me.

PizDoff
6/07/2003 1:17pm,
"In general, I despise pro athletes."
Well, I like to watch a good game of hockey or soccer, as well as boxing, kickboxing, Muay Thai kickboxing, K-1, UFC, Pride, UCC etc fighting sports.....

these people i admire because they are doing something I enjoy.....and i like the more physical competition here...

football-too slow
golf?-get the **** out
curling-don't even joke with me......

The attitude of people with power and excessive amounts of money totally changes from when they were "lacking." Unfortuantely that is life and how different would we be?

Vargas don't forget your wife's birthday...

--

tbone7812
6/07/2003 1:30pm,
fek them, fek the people that go and fek everyone in short. Fek Sosa was just trying to win. It is only cheating till u get caught. Fek the fans for paying for tickets, if all the fans took like 2 weeks off from baseball and didnt goto any of the games that would fek them good, they would think about lowering the ticket prices.

Sam Browning
6/07/2003 5:15pm,
Nice Bob Gibson reference JKD Chick, your definately a historically oriented fan. How about Don Drysdale of the dodgers, one of the meanest pitchers ever. I read about him in the book "The baseball hall of shame"

JKDChick
6/07/2003 6:23pm,
Drysdale used to say: "You hit one of my guys, I hit two of yours". Drysdale threw HARD.

Gibson threw 95, and he was the meanest **** who ever pitched. Runners on second base will sometimes steal signals from the catcher and tell the hitter what's coming. When guys tried to do that to Gibson, he looked at them and said "I wouldn't do that. Someone might get hurt." And the HITTER would be leaping out of the batters box and yelping "Stop that!" at their own guy.

Baseball is boring, but I've been around it my whole life and I see lots of stuff in the games that normal "fans" don't. Just experience.

I know quite a few pro ball players (my father's had 12 guys drafted in nine years, all playing pro, 2 in the majors, one a starting pitcher) so I get some inside info.

Every pitcher knew Sosa was corking. His own team all knew.

And yes, they are over paid. But they get paid what the market will bear. I get over paid too, working in film. Supply and demand -- we value out entertainment over everything else, apparently.

"Oh ****, it was the other Osiris, The Wastrel." -- patfromlogan

pst
6/07/2003 7:43pm,
jealousy perhaps?

enough of Sosa! BEAT HIM WITH A CORK!!!!
1. I've heard stuff like that....
but no reliable sources

baseball is boring anyways

--

Yes, very boring. The season is also too damn long.

elipson
6/07/2003 7:55pm,
Omen Stone: You die. You die and you go to hell!

JKDC, which ball players do you know? Just curious.

I dont think Sosa could have gotten rid of the bats. Think about it, during that half hour, there were prolly at least three cameras pinned on Sosa and the Cubs dugout at any given time. ppl would notice Sosa or some bat boy loading a big pile of bats out the back door.

To the ppl who say they are all over payed, can you dupe 50 thousand ppl into paying 30+ dollars to come watch YOU hit a ball with a stick? (and I agree they get paid to much)

I'm amazed they only gave him 8 games!! I was thinking the season!

Oh Vargas, don't forget your wifes birthday.

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"
-Ghandi

"I have found the essence of Bushido: to die!"

DRD
6/07/2003 8:33pm,
JKDCHICK: I got to watch Drysdale in the 65 world series. Seems Sandy Kofax was there also. Tough duo. If I recall, Don was about 6'5 and very serious about his business. I have the series pennant from both 63 and 65. I think I have my years correct. We moved to Dallas in 66 it seems so that should be correct.

Dodger stadium had a real mystic to it for us kids then.

DRD