PDA

View Full Version : More WING CHUN stuff

Pages : [1] 2 3

Heretic
6/02/2003 2:49pm,
Great article;

"This is written for students of the Wing Chun system and potential students in order to clarify the many misconceptions regarding training methods, theories, and most of all, fighting strategies. Wing Chun is an excellent fighting system. I place myself in a position to make such a statement based on my fighting experiences in the ring and on the streets. I have also had the privilege of learning from some of the best martial arts instructors available, especially my current Sifu (instructor) Grandmaster William Cheung. Over the last 34 years I have studied numerous styles of martial arts such as Shorin Ryu in Okinawa while a US Marine, Hwa Rang Do, Jujitsu, Southern Praying Mantis, Bak Mei, Hung Ga, Baat Gua. After a period of time I started training under Sifu Duncan Leung. When Duncan Leung left NYC to move to Virginia, study began under a succession of Wing Chun instructors in NYC's Chinatown. Prominently Moy Yat, Lee Moy Shan, Alan Lamb, Henry Leung, and have trained with Wing Chun people from Hong Kong and Mainland China.
Through studying I have learned that many martial arts systems have value. Moreover, a person who studies a particular style that you may consider inferior to yours may in fact prevail over you in actual combat due to his/her spirit, tenacity, and most importantly, hard training. The most important factor that determines the effectiveness of a martial art is the person who is training in it. Even a well instructed Wing Chun practitioner might prove to be ineffective if he/she does not train diligently. You must develop a strict training regimen and stick to it. There are many different styles of Wing Chun but the Yip Man school has produced the most famous fighters, Wong Sheung Leung, William Cheung, and Bruce Lee, etc.

After four years of study at the kwoon (school) William Cheung moved into Yip Man's home and learned a more practical version of Wing Chun for almost four more years under a strict promise not to teach anyone even his own brother until Yip Man's death. This has caused a controversy between the other Wing Chun Sifus who dispute the fact that William Cheung did learn a different version of Wing Chun from Yip Man. I was a student of another Wing Chun version for 13 years and was a Sifu when I became a student of Grandmaster William Cheung in 1983. He changed my whole perspective in regard to Wing Chun forever. This site is dedicated to Grandmaster William Cheung and to my students".

Sifu Phillip Redmond

PizDoff
6/02/2003 4:25pm,
he means Hung Gar i believe.....

great article my ass, this is just more political CRAP

--
Hard work, Patience, Dedication.

When or where the way is free - strike.
If the way is not free make it free and - Strike.
Stick with what comes and when the way is free - Strike.
As they retreat follow through and - Strike.

PizDoff
6/02/2003 4:25pm,
but thanks for posting it

hehe

--

Sam Browning
6/02/2003 8:47pm,
I have nothing against Redmond, but I have a problem with William Cheung's story. Yip Man didn't even tell his own son who was studying Wing Chun with him that there was a better way? I have a lot of trouble believing that.

William Cheung can be respected for modifying the Wing chun footwork to be more effective but that story that he insists on telling has lead to more bad blood between himself and the various Wing Chun factions then anything else. Let me guess, Yip Man's son never saw his own dad or Chueng practicing different footwork at home then what was regularly taught? Jesus, some people will believe anything.

Mercurius
6/02/2003 10:05pm,
Definitely hard to believe that Yip Man would keep something from his kids like that. If you want a parallel, just look at Helio Gracie. When someone asks him who the most technical jiu-jitsu players in the whole Gracie clan are, without hesitation, he says, "My sons, because I spent the most time working with them."

tbone7812
6/02/2003 10:08pm,
I for one dont do that political ****. I study wing chun under one of Duncan's major students and we dont do any of that ****. I for one know that Duncan is one of the best wing chun teachers in the world but u dont see him saying all the crap that Big Willy says. Leave the politcal **** for people that have to prove something to people. Wong Shung Leaung was the man.

Heretic
6/02/2003 11:27pm,
TBONE 7812;

Just out of curiosity. What lineage is your WING CHUN from? Meaning are you learning the YIP MAN WC or the new Leung Tim system?

Heretic

Mercurius
6/03/2003 1:34am,
EXT. HONG KONG - DAY

The WING CHUN MEN are riding along the top of a

ridge. The country is wild and inhospitable.

Suddenly some of them hear the sound of a mook

jong in the distance and ride towards it. As

they approach they see an impressive WING TSUN™

MAN figure standing around, making dents in a

wooden dummy with only his fists and breaking

another in half with a one-inch punch.

WILLIAM

What kind of man are you that can dent mahogany

as if it were balsa wood?

LEUNG

I am a Wing Tsun™ 10th Level M.O.C.

WILLIAM looks at HAWKINS.

WILLIAM

By what name are you known?

LEUNG

There are some who call me... Leung Tim.

http://monty-python.virtualave.net/tim.jpg

ElDuderino
6/03/2003 6:02am,
"I have nothing against Redmond, but I have a problem with William Cheung's story. Yip Man didn't even tell his own son who was studying Wing Chun with him that there was a better way? I have a lot of trouble believing that."

What? you can't believe that yip man would take a student of only 4yrs, especially such a young arrogant twat of a student, and teach him the full wing chun system thats been kept secret from his most faithful and long standing pupils, such as Wang Shun leung or Tsiu Shon Tin, and his own sons.

'AVE IT

PizDoff
6/03/2003 9:28pm,
boring thread.........

"There are some who call me... Leung Tim."
Tim? wtf?

--

gong sau
6/03/2003 10:20pm,
LOL, Merc! Nice parody.

Mercurius
6/03/2003 11:16pm,
Finally, someone got it! Thanks, gong sau. PizDoff, I was making fun of Heretic's misspelling of the name Leung Ting (as 'Leung Tim'). Tim, being the Enchanter from Monty Python and the Holy Grail who made stuff burst into flames at will.

tbone7812
6/04/2003 5:49am,
sorry to take so long, but i am a student under Duncan Leung's students.

PizDoff
6/05/2003 2:53pm,
oh my bad, i didn't even read his post all the way

--

"in final closing look yourselves in the mirror and you might see yourself." Posted by big buck - June 05 2003

Angry-Monkey
6/17/2003 8:30pm,
Heh.

My sifu actually has an interesting theory about Yip Man.
He says that the only possible explanation for all the differences in the Yip Man lineage styles is that Yip Man taught everyone differently as a little joke. So he was just being an asshole :)

And supposedly he didn't have a very close relationship with his sons.
So many rumors around though.
Like how Yip man was a heroin addict, and because Leung Ting was the wealthiest of the bunch, he funded his addiction.

gong sau
6/17/2003 9:20pm,
Not heroin, opium. And they all helped sifu get his 'medicine'.