PDA

View Full Version : Ask a monk!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Wu De
5/30/2003 3:32pm,
Hiya folks,
Shi Yanfei is staying with me for the next week before he jets off back to China, he's very interested in educating people in Shaolin culture so any questions people may have, he has requested that you post them in this thread and I will translate his answers into good english (as opposed to Yanfei's own terrible english).

Here is a short message from Shi Yanfei:

"Hello fellow martial artists, my friend Zen Wu has told me that there is a great pool of knowledge in this website, if there are any questions that I can help to answer in regard to Shaolin culture or Gong fu, I will be very happy to answer.

Wishing everybody happiness everyday,
you're friend, Shi Yanfei.

Amitabha "

deus ex machina
5/30/2003 3:43pm,
Mr. Shi Yanfei,

Are you familiar with the degradation of so-called "Shaolin" kung fu in the United States? If so, what are your thoughts concerning martial artists who teach under the banner of "Shaolin methodology" when what they teach has absolutely no root in Shaolin kung fu? Thank you.

~
danny

"All this talk about 'newbies' is making me a little nervous. You guys don't have any sort of secret hazing initiation involving wooden paddles and me screaming 'Thank you sir, may I have another?!' do you?"

matzahbal
5/30/2003 3:51pm,
In further addition to deus's question:

And what are you feelings of the abott of the shaolin temple giving rank/titles to leaders of such groups who's system has no direct ties to the shaolin historically?

"But some apes they gotta go, so we kill the ones we don't know" - 'Ape shall never kill Ape' by The Vandals

Boyd
5/30/2003 3:56pm,
Who would win in a fight, Freddy or Jason?

Always go swimming with a buddy
Work real hard and always study

KC Elbows
5/30/2003 3:58pm,
Wu de, make sure that Shi Yanfei is aware that much kidding goes on on this board, and not to react too strongly to it, it is just certain member's way of welcoming people aboard.

1) What is Shi Yanfei's preferred style within the shaolin curriculum?

2) Also, what age was he when he began studying kung fu?

3) What age was he when he became a monk?

4) Ask Shi Yanfei to describe the training regimen a young monk goes through.

5) Is training considered part of the buddhism of shaolin? What I mean is, does the kung fu training embody the lessons of buddha and how?

Omega Supreme
5/30/2003 4:22pm,
Hiya folks,
Shi Yanfei is staying with me for the next week before he jets off back to China, he's very interested in educating people in Shaolin culture so any questions people may have, he has requested that you post them in this thread and I will translate his answers into good english (as opposed to Yanfei's own terrible english).

Here is a short message from Shi Yanfei:

"Hello fellow martial artists, my friend Zen Wu has told me that there is a great pool of knowledge in this website, if there are any questions that I can help to answer in regard to Shaolin culture or Gong fu, I will be very happy to answer.

Wishing everybody happiness everyday,
you're friend, Shi Yanfei.

Amitabha "

He lied to you Yan fei, we all stupid here.

Go away I'm talking to myself

Kensai
5/30/2003 5:01pm,
Ok, I gotta ask this.... the guy is a monk, so I will word it diplomatically.

With the greatest of respect, have there been any unpleasant "confrontations" resulting in physical exchanges which resulted in you "dispatching" sons (or Daughters) of the Universe?

Yours in Aiki.

JKDChick
5/30/2003 5:10pm,
In all seriousness, what does Shi Yanfei (I'm sorry, I don't know the polite term of address) think about women training in martial arts?

What does he think of the legend of the "Wing Chun nun"?

"I'm willing to bet I could **** up an emu real good, if I got the drop on the bastard."
-- KC Elbows, my new hero.

KC Elbows
5/30/2003 5:15pm,
The Shi part of his name is an honorary title, JKDChick, so you addressed him properly, if I understand correctly.

Boyd
5/30/2003 7:17pm,
Hey Shi, ever see Anger Management? That scene with the monk reminded me of you.

Always go swimming with a buddy
Work real hard and always study

elipson
5/30/2003 7:20pm,
Is this the same monk who said UFC "looked like fun"? If not, whatever happened to him? Did he look into it?

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"
-Ghandi

"I have found the essence of Bushido: to die!"

Wu De
5/30/2003 7:29pm,
Hey there guys, Shi Yanfei has asked me to address each question seperately so there'll be a post for each question.

Shi Yanfei:

"Thankyou for your replies, I am very happy to help add to this community. To Deus Ex Machina, what you say is very true, but my thoughts are that the name is just a name, people can choose to use the Shaolin name freely (unless the Chinese government trademark it --Wu De). If people are teaching under this name with good spirit, with good understanding of the term martial art, then i feel that they are worthy of using the Shaolin name.

Thankyou, I wish you the best for the future.
Yanfei
Amitabha"

Wu De
5/30/2003 7:34pm,
Shi Yanfei:

"Matzahbal, it is not my place to question the abbot and his decisions, but perhaps these leaders of these other systems have demonstrated pure intention and therefore the abbot has bestowed upon them an honary title.

Thankyou for taking time to join our conversation.

I hope you find happiness in each day.
Yanfei
Amitabha"

Wu De
5/30/2003 7:38pm,
Shi Yanfei:

"Boyd, after a lengthy explanation from my friend (me--Wu De ^_^), I think Freddy would win. He has several blades weapons on each hand but Jason is only have access to hockey stick.

Thankyou for your question, what wonderful inquisitive nature!

May you find much goodness in the world.
Yanfei
Amitabha"

Wu De
5/30/2003 7:53pm,
KC Elbows, no worries, Yanfei's English isn't too hot so I try and explain the questions to him in context. Although he did find the "Freddy versus Jason" question quite amusing.

Shi Yanfei:

1) What is Shi Yanfei's preferred style within the shaolin curriculum?

"I like to use Shaolin DaLohan and WuYingQuan" (Shadowless boxing --Wu De).

2) Also, what age was he when he began studying kung fu?

"I started my training when I was 5"

3) What age was he when he became a monk?

"I wasn't officially ordained until much later, when I was 16 I was allowed to be a monk candidate, to see if I could live with the Shaolin laws, at 19 I was fully ordained"

4) Ask Shi Yanfei to describe the training regimen a young monk goes through.

"The training is very hard. In the morning we get up at 5.30am, then we hold FuZhen bu (A crazy stance, stand on your left leg and crouch, put your right leg over your left and straighten your left leg until rigid. All your weight should be on your right leg -- Wu De). When we hold that bufa (Stance -- Wu De), we recite the laws of Wu De. It is very tiring, i remember many times i was beaten because i couldn't hold the stance.

Tonzikung (flexibility trainig, very very harsh -- Wu De) is always next. After much stretching we then have to climb the small ShenShong mountain on hands and knee only. Then we come down and we can have breakfast.

There is much much detail to explain a young monk's training, maybe I will explain more detail in a further posting?"

5) Is training considered part of the buddhism of shaolin? What I mean is, does the kung fu training embody the lessons of buddha and how?

"In order to fully master the mind, the body must respond completely to your control. The training is allows us, through the beauty of the motion to understand how wonderful this world is and what we must do to ensure that we keep all living life safe.
I recommend "Lotus Sultra", it is a very good book with a good English translation of how intertwined Shaolin Gong fu is with our peaceful philosophy.

Thankyou very much, your questions have great insight.

May your will do your will and be successful.
Yanfei
Amitabha"

Wu De
5/30/2003 7:57pm,
Shi Yanfei:

"Omega, everybody has great potential within them, if they appear to be stupid, then the question is, are they stupid because they appear stupid or because they are? And if they are, is it because of a fundamental understanding that we cannot grasp which leads us to a misunderstanding?

Be well and fly.
Yanfei
Amitabha"

--
I did try and explain that Omega was kidding (at least i hope he was), but Yanfei insisted on saying that everybody is equal. - Wu De