PDA

View Full Version : Cross training advice

Shura
5/29/2003 2:44pm,
I'm looking to cross-train in one of my local clubs, and although I'll be checking each one individually, I'm looking for advice on which style, objectively, would most benefit my jujitsu style.

The choices are between Shotokan karate, TKD, and judo.

Also a friend has recommended yoga to me, even though it's not an MA, feel free to recommend it instead if you think it is the best choice.

How many Zen masters does it take to change a light bulb?

> Two. One to change it, and one not to change it.

MrMcFu
5/29/2003 2:51pm,
What is your current training? - Is it BJJ or traditional JJ?

Sifu Emin - Did you see that?
Me - (gasping) No, but I can't breathe yet.

Edited by - mrmcfu on May 29 2003 14:52:26

Bolverk
5/29/2003 2:52pm,
TaeKwonDo would be a tremendous benefit to the legs and kicking ability. But don't listen to me, after all I only use it to kick the heads off of the Un-Dead.

Sincerely,

Knowing it is not enough, we must apply.
Willing is not enough, we must do.

Shura
5/29/2003 2:57pm,
Really? I'm always being picked on by the undead when I hang out in the graveyard after school.

I do bushido jujitsu, which is the traditional japanese kind.I already get training in groundfighting there, but I've trained and fought with bjj guys in the past and know that they tend to be better at it than me.

How many Zen masters does it take to change a light bulb?

> Two. One to change it, and one not to change it.

HAPKO3
5/29/2003 3:01pm,
If you want something that will make you a more rounded fighter, take either karate or TKD.

If you want something that will make you a BETTER fighter, take Judo.

If you want something that will help your JJ game, then definitly take Judo.

These are generalizations, however. I've seen some great TKD and Karate places, and some crappy Judo. The only way you will know is if you go train with all of them for a little while.

------------------------
I remain, Hapko3

mixicus
5/29/2003 3:02pm,
Shura,

Since cross training means different thing's to different people, what is your goal in cross training? This way the comments will be better tailored to your request.

a) Fill in the "gaps" in your current training? For example, taking up a striking style to complement a grappling style to become a well round fighter.

b) Enhance the strengths of your current training? Such as a wrestler taking judo to develop throws.

MrMcFu
5/29/2003 3:02pm,
It depends on your instructor, but I remember traditional JJ as not having much sparring. Since you already do some ground work, it might be good to do a stand up style like MT. However that was not a choice. I might take the TKD, but only if it was NOT WTF. The karate schools I have seen have non-continuous sparring, which bothers me.

Since I read that Matt Thorton article on aliveness, I usually just judge a school by that.

http://www.straightblastgym.com/questions.html

Sifu Emin - Did you see that?
Me - (gasping) No, but I can't breathe yet.

Choke
5/29/2003 3:13pm,
I would pick a striking art to compliment your grappling skills. I think Karate is a more balanced striking art than TKD so go with Karate. I guess I'm lucky my Karate schools puts yoga in their workout.

Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!

Nihilanthic
5/29/2003 4:50pm,
Take Karate... but try to push for better sparring and try to get hand techs worked in. Also, take up boxing. Seriously. Your city should have a place.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
<John> I'd have to smack you sometime...